Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-16-2016, 05:05 PM   #1
Forum Member

How can I tell if Pixel Shift Worked ?

So I'm not really looking for critique of the shot itself, but more of a technical question:
This is a picture I took at the weekend with Pixel Shift turned on:

When I look at the JPG, it looks OK. When I look at the PEF file, converted using Adobe Camera Raw to an old DNG format (Because I don't seem to have a working PEF viewer), I get an absolute garbage picture, in that it looks like 3-4 images superimposed over each other, but each nearly 1/4 of the frame out of alignment. So my question is:

Can anyone tell if this JPG really is using pixel shift, or has the JPG just selected the first of the 4 pixel shift frames because I moved too much between shots?

Thanks in advance for any help in working out if this is just beyond the useful scenarios for pixel shift, or if I have a PEF conversion issue.
I will try and post the PEF converted image as soon as I can find it. It seems to have gone astray.

05-16-2016, 05:20 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
With DOF this shallow, you're not getting much benefit from pixel shift. I would just leave it disabled to minimize the risk of artifacts.

QuoteOriginally posted by Ian.morgan Quote
Can anyone tell if this JPG really is using pixel shift, or has the JPG just selected the first of the 4 pixel shift frames because I moved too much between shots?
The K-3 II doesn't really do this. You would see artifacts if there were motion in the frame. I'm not really seeing anything, so it must have been stable enough!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

05-16-2016, 11:19 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Is it possible that the camera autoaligns the shifted images in the jpg , but the PEF is somehow more 'raw' and you see the misalignment between frames ? If not, then the problem must be in the PEF to DNG conversion.

05-17-2016, 06:19 AM   #4

You should have got Silky Pix or similar software with the camera. Use that to create a jpg from the pixel shift RAW. Adobe are currently trying to patch their products to work with the K-1 RAW files.

05-17-2016, 06:25 AM   #5
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Gravelrash Quote
Adobe are currently trying to patch their products to work with the K-1 RAW files
In what way?

They seem to work fine with DNGs... you talking about PEFs?
05-17-2016, 08:50 AM   #6

I'm talking about the pixel shifted RAWs but also worth bearing in mind that the Pentax bundled software has the movement alignment for pixel shifted RAW images too, which I doubt Adobe will be able to use just yet. Please bear in mind this information is secondhand, I don't own a K-1 but I have been looking into them.

PS The latest software has the movement alignment which will apparently be backward compatible with K-3II pixel shifted files if that's of use to anyone.

Me...I'm happy with my K-5II for now but just trying to be helpful.
05-17-2016, 08:57 AM   #7
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Gravelrash Quote
I'm talking about the pixel shifted RAWs
Ok thanks for that, I'll follow this thread with interest.

It's not as if I will be doing many of these pixel shifted images, but I guess I ought to know how if required.
05-19-2016, 08:29 AM   #8

The pixel-shifted RAW files, both DNG and PEF, simply consist of the 4 separate RAW images acquired. It is then up to the RAW converter to combine the 4 images into a RGB image. Currently, Pentax's own software is the best at converting pixel shifted RAWs. I believe Adobe Camera Raw can handle Pentax K-3 II Pixel Shifted RAWs, but from what I've heard, it handles motion artifacts poorly. It may also not yet be programmed to handle the K-1 PS RAWs since that camera is quite new. As far as I know, all other RAW converters will only take the first RAW frame, resulting in essentially the same image as if you had taken a regular non-pixel shifted image.

In your case, it's also possible that the conversion from PEF to DNG stripped the all but the first frame; you can double check by seeing if the file size dramatically decreased between the two formats. Meanwhile, for out-of-body JPEGs, the body handles the processing of the 4 images to create the pixel shifted image, so the out of body JPEGs should be properly pixel shifted.

Last edited by sprint113; 05-19-2016 at 08:38 AM.
05-24-2016, 05:10 PM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for all your help everyone.

After some more testing, I can confirm that the Pentax software works fine, and it's the Adobe Raw Converter that can't currently handle the pixel shift images.
However, it seems the Pentax software only works on Windows 7 upwards, but I can work with it

Lots of pixel shift images coming, though so far, only one astro image has come up massively better with pixel shift turned on. I think the buttercup does look nice though with pixelshift, even if not 'right'.
05-24-2016, 06:16 PM   #10
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
At this time Adobe ACR 9.5.1 used with LR, PS or BR works fine with PEF but not all DNG Pixel Shift (PSR) data. There is no Motion Compensation (MC) available in ACR and at present no plans to include. Pentax DCU 5.4.2 and 5.5.1 both handle PSR but only 5.5.1 attempts MC. I would say that the MC is not very robust so unless the motion is small in distance but large in area, I personally would refrain from betting on it to not have holes of incoherent noise. Again my option, star shooters should forget about using PSR.
No info when Adobe will have a fix for ACR. Also requested that Adobe have ACR notify the user that PSR is being applied to that data. No response or time from Adobe.

RONC

Last edited by rechmbrs; 05-24-2016 at 06:20 PM. Reason: Addition of user notification in ACR
05-25-2016, 12:50 PM   #11
sbh
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ian.morgan Quote
After some more testing, I can confirm that the Pentax software works fine...
In the Digital Camera Utility there should be a button to toggle Pixelshift on and off. At least in Version 5.x that came with the K-1. Is it there for you, too?

With that I always check and see how well PS worked in particular shots.
05-27-2016, 11:55 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rechmbrs Quote
At this time Adobe ACR 9.5.1 used with LR, PS or BR works fine with PEF but not all DNG Pixel Shift (PSR) data. There is no Motion Compensation (MC) available in ACR and at present no plans to include. Pentax DCU 5.4.2 and 5.5.1 both handle PSR but only 5.5.1 attempts MC. I would say that the MC is not very robust so unless the motion is small in distance but large in area, I personally would refrain from betting on it to not have holes of incoherent noise. Again my option, star shooters should forget about using PSR.
No info when Adobe will have a fix for ACR. Also requested that Adobe have ACR notify the user that PSR is being applied to that data. No response or time from Adobe.

RONC
ACR and Lr work fine for me with K-3II PS DNB images. The K-1 images may have a blue problem; see other threads for details.

But only in camera processing or the latest version of PDCU will operate to remove motion artifacts.