Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-16-2016, 10:06 PM   #1

To insurance or not to insurance?

So...i got the k1.
They were offering protection, as they normally do for 5 years.
Pentax offers 2 year default
Through credit card its another year.

However, through henrys, canada, its for up to 5 years. Whats covered is accidental drop, any glitches, any malfunction. They will replace the body if the need arises.

But it is going to be a heafty charge. I think its costing an additonal 300.

After taxes, and adding this, that will be a total of $320ish.

I could buy a lens for that...

Would you guys get the protection plan?

Last edited by photolady95; 05-16-2016 at 10:19 PM.
05-16-2016, 10:29 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by hadi Quote
So...i got the k1.
They were offering protection, as they normally do for 5 years.
Pentax offers 2 year default
Through credit card its another year.

However, through henrys, canada, its for up to 5 years. Whats covered is accidental drop, any glitches, any malfunction. They will replace the body if the need arises.

But it is going to be a heafty charge. I think its costing an additonal 300.

After taxes, and adding this, that will be a total of $320ish.

I could buy a lens for that...

Would you guys get the protection plan?
3year mack diamond is a little cheaper. 320 seems rational for five years accident plus protection.
05-17-2016, 12:12 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
If you are a pro, and need your camera for your living, and used it for long hours, week after week, in many hazardous environments, then yes, that peace of mind is worth it just so youʻre not holding back in fear of the equipment instead of getting the shot. However, you must know that financial institutions offer these type of insurance policies because statistically, they profit and you lose.

Another way to look at it: Can you afford losing $320 or the price of a replacement/repaired K-1? Whenʻs the last time you totaled or caused serious damage to your camera? Remember, this is a K-1 and not a K-S1. Itʻs designed to handle more abuse than any other Pentax DSLR. Iʻve saved a lot of money over the years by NOT having insurance. And when I knew I was going to be in a high risk situation, I either used equipment I could afford to lose or Iʻd get a policy just for that trip or event or it would be covered by my client.
05-17-2016, 12:33 AM   #4
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
If you are a pro, and need your camera for your living, and used it for long hours, week after week, in many hazardous environments, then yes,
Bearing in mind you would have multiple bodies... so image loss through failure would not be a concern, but theft and public liability insurance are a must IMHO.

05-17-2016, 03:47 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

A member of this forum reports that he dropped and broke his K-1 a few days ago, to the point where bits came off.

Get the insurance.
05-17-2016, 05:35 AM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
A member of this forum reports that he dropped and broke his K-1 a few days ago, to the point where bits came off.
Ouch! Cringe! Shudder! "You know it's going to be a bad day when..."
05-17-2016, 05:53 AM - 1 Like   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
Another way to look at it: Can you afford losing $320 or the price of a replacement/repaired K-1? Whenʻs the last time you totaled or caused serious damage to your camera? Remember, this is a K-1 and not a K-S1. Itʻs designed to handle more abuse than any other Pentax DSLR. Iʻve saved a lot of money over the years by NOT having insurance. And when I knew I was going to be in a high risk situation, I either used equipment I could afford to lose or Iʻd get a policy just for that trip or event or it would be covered by my client.
If you have good record why not self-insure. Put, say, $150 - $200 aside each year in a special account to cover loss or damage. If no claim is made during your ownership of the camera then you will have a nice little sum to pay for its replacement.
05-17-2016, 06:03 AM   #8
Site Supporter

QuoteQuote:

Get the insurance.
And use the neck strap.

05-17-2016, 07:03 AM   #9

If you have homeowner's you can get a rider policy--my company calls it a Personal Articles Policy--that covers gear/jewelry you have in excess of their standard value in general coverage. I generally have to present them a receipt and show the item at their office for them to photograph, but it's far less expensive than the type of policy sold at the point of purchase, and it covers everything--even if I stupidly leave my camera somewhere I'm covered. Of course, this only applies if the camera is for personal, rather than professional, use. I'd even ask if you have a renter's policy.
05-17-2016, 07:16 AM   #10
csa
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RubyT Quote
If you have homeowner's you can get a rider policy--my company calls it a Personal Articles Policy--that covers gear/jewelry you have in excess of their standard value in general coverage. I generally have to present them a receipt and show the item at their office for them to photograph, but it's far less expensive than the type of policy sold at the point of purchase, and it covers everything--even if I stupidly leave my camera somewhere I'm covered. Of course, this only applies if the camera is for personal, rather than professional, use. I'd even ask if you have a renter's policy.
This is what I have. It covers all my camera equipment, with replacement cost value. It's only about $20-$30 a year!
05-17-2016, 11:44 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RubyT Quote
If you have homeowner's you can get a rider policy--my company calls it a Personal Articles Policy--that covers gear/jewelry you have in excess of their standard value in general coverage.
It was an extra $53/year on my home insurance to cover my ~$5000 worth of gear. My agent says there's no deductible, and it would cover just about any kind of loss event. As you say, this only applies if the camera gear is for personal use.
05-17-2016, 02:24 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

Before the accident happened, I thought the extra protection was too expensive, and since I am not a pro photographer, I thought I would not bring the camera to a very risking environment. $300-500 is another nice lens..But after it happens, I really wish I had the protection. $1800>>>$400

Adding the great into house owner insurance is a great ideal and will not cost arms and legs. I wish I have done that.
05-17-2016, 03:58 PM   #13
mee
Pentaxian

Insurance and Warranties are gambling. The Insurance provider or warrantor believe you won't use it, the insurance or warranty buyer believes they will.

So it comes down to deciding if you'll think you'll need it or not. But, even in this, if you DO need it (that is, you'll file a claim), is it worth it vs the price and hassle of repair?

This goes with anything insured or warranted.. you have to decide for yourself. Don't let any of us on the internet make that decision for you.
05-17-2016, 04:03 PM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Insurance and Warranties are gambling. The Insurance provider or warrantor believe you won't use it, the insurance or warranty buyer believes they will.
What you say is true, and it's possible that the warranty will never be used. But the peace of mind it brings is real, and can be enjoyed constantly. You think this guy isn't going to be stressing out next time he takes his K-1 and lens on a hike? If I was in his place, I wouldn't risk making the same mistake twice.
05-17-2016, 04:05 PM   #15
Pentaxian

It all depends on your comfort level.
I don't have insurance but I have spare bodies and I haven't (terminally) broken one yet. So I risk it. I know it could catch up with me one day but it's a gamble I'm willing to take.
I shoot all kinds of inhospitable places. Also without UV filters!