Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 23 Likes Search this Thread
05-21-2016, 01:54 PM   #91
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
You better hope Mrs. Rupert doesn't read this forum........................
You got that right!

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I hope that comment didn't make it to the credit card receipt {IIRC, Mrs. Rupert's card paid for the K-1 you were in the process of ordering}
Yep, she did buy me the K1...isn't it sad what we will do to assure we get a K1. I said "we" because I am betting I am not alone!

05-21-2016, 03:35 PM   #92
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert:
The K1 is putting Pentax on the map...there is no doubt about it.
That sums it up nicely.

(It's K-1, BTW. K-1 )
05-21-2016, 03:36 PM   #93
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
It's K-1, BTW. K-1
Yeah, the K1 will be a different model
05-21-2016, 03:37 PM   #94
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
That sums it up nicely.

(It's K-1, BTW. K-1 )
...but is it an en-dash or a minus sign? These things are important, you know, for folks like us who hesitate to buy.

05-21-2016, 04:50 PM   #95
Veteran Member

I scratched the (-) off the front of mine...so it is a K1. Imagine the panic and horror that might cause in the new Sigma Scratch Club!
05-21-2016, 05:11 PM   #96
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stillshot2 Quote
Just curious, but what went through your mind as you picked it up?
My cheeks hurt.
05-21-2016, 06:49 PM   #97
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Maybe you should read all the reviews....no one is laughing, but there are plenty of big smiles of joy!
I'm sure that's true, but I question how many people those reviews are convincing to plop down $1500, sight unseen. I think we can probably count them on this board, no?

05-21-2016, 07:00 PM   #98
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
I'm sure that's true, but I question how many people those reviews are convincing to plop down $1500, sight unseen. I think we can probably count them on this board, no?
You simply have no idea of the legacy Pentax user base, and the number of people who absolutely despise the internet. I talked to a small store owner in St. Catherines , Ontario who was talking about the number of legacy Pentax users who come out of the woodwork, every time a significant body comes out. People on 4 or 5 year cycles who want a major upgrade in their new camera and are comfortable waiting for it. He sold 15 cameras in 7 days when the K-3 came out. He only had 5 and he stopped taking orders. This forum has maybe two guys on it from St. Catherine's, this owner said he could have sold 30. The numbers willing to buy sight unseen out in the real world probably out number those in the forum by about 50-1. Some of the best photographers I know personally, will not post their work on the internet, for any reason.

I know it's hard to believe, but this forum is a very small percentage of Pentax users.
05-21-2016, 08:37 PM   #99
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

but I question how many people those reviews are convincing to plop down $1500, sight unseen.
I know I have said this about three times now. But I will try again. The majority of the population under 60 shops on the internet, or at least does their research there. So dropping $1,800 sight unseen is not really an issue. Certainly there are plenty of people who want to touch and feel something before buying it, but I suspect, at least in that age group, they are a minority.

And really, touching it in the shop is nothing compared to ordering it from Amazon, or in fact ordering a D810 a 5DmkII and K-1 from Amazon, trying them all and returning the ones you don't like. Think that doesn't happen? Then you are out of touch.
05-21-2016, 08:48 PM   #100

Location: Milky Way Galaxy, Planet Earth, Speeding towards the Virgo Supercluster
This is why one "waits" and doesn't RUSH <great Band BTW<, to acquire the "latest & greatest"...
05-22-2016, 06:14 AM   #101
Veteran Member

As has been pointed out, the K1 is about the same price as the K5 when it came out...several years ago. I consider the K1 a super bargain, and now that I have one, even more than before. Obviously something is happening out there when they are selling faster than they can make them.

The way I see it is a new camera is either good for a brand's reputation or it is not. How could anyone not believe the K1 is great for Pentax?

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I know it's hard to believe, but this forum is a very small percentage of Pentax users.
Yep, and an even smaller number that don't believe the K1 is good news for Pentax, whether or not they want or need one themselves.

K1 detractors are not going to fare well here, there is too much love for this camera by too many...and that will grow with the next shipment.

Regards!
05-22-2016, 06:22 AM   #102
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by stillshot2 Quote
Is anyone else a little bothered that one must wait at least a month or more if they want the new K-1?
I waited over eight years for my K1... what's a month or two.
05-22-2016, 07:24 AM   #103
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
I waited over eight years for my K1... what's a month or two.
Until I started reading this forum, I didn't even know my *ist wasn't full frame.

To this day, I still feel that applying film era format standards to digital is right off the bat, an erroneous comparison. They are similar in the same way apples and oranges are both fruits, that's about it. More errors are made using assumptions left over from film, than truths are understood.

Knowing it isn't hasn't made an iota of difference to me.

I'm really a "go out and shoot with what you have and be happy", kind of guy.

So, I'm waiting until my next regular upgrade cycle, when I'll consider a K minus 1, but also a K-3II. Right now chugging along with a K-3 works for me, and as long as there are K minus 1s in the store when I'm ready to buy one, the back order issue is pretty much irrelevant. To me and lots of others.

The back order issue are of importance to very few.

Last edited by normhead; 05-22-2016 at 07:33 AM.
05-22-2016, 07:27 AM   #104
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I didn't even know my *ist wasn't full frame
Did Tess not keep you right on that one?
05-22-2016, 07:28 AM   #105
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Did Tess not keep you right on that one?
That was long before Tess.