Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-26-2016, 02:52 AM   #121
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
Oh, I get what you're saying...and you're wrong about it being an "under 60" thing. My 90 yr. old mom does a ton of her shopping via the internet. But here's the thing...this isn't a new concept. You only seem to think it's new. People have been using castoff mail-order catelogs in their outhouses since before there was indoor plumbing. All that's changed is the ability to order electronically instead of snail-mail. And if internet ordering were the ideal business model, why bother to have brick and mortar stores for anything? I believe it's because most people like to have first-hand confirmation before they buy. That's where I think Pentax is failing.
I agree that Pentax should have more of a presence in brick and mortar stores. The problem is that the stores aren't doing great. Even the big box electronics companies like Circuit City and Best Buy are in rough shape (or have departed). The number of Americans who live close to a camera store with dedicated knowledgeable staff is actually pretty small. B and H and Adorama have done their part in cutting margins to the bone and most folks who go in to handle gear end up checking on line prices and ordering elsewhere. Maybe Ricoh could figure out how to get entry level cameras into some big box stores, but I don't know that that is really the answer.

I would just rather see some nicely targeted advertising. They have done a little in Outdoor Photographer, but certainly there is room for a lot more.

That said, I think the US is an after thought for Ricoh. They sell most of their cameras in Japan and Europe and have focused on those markets a lot more. Even Canada seems to have more resources allocated to it. I just don't know that Ricoh feels like there is much return for the investment in the US.

05-26-2016, 04:32 AM   #122
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've always been a touch and feel and play with kind of shopper. Even in the stores these days, there is a lot of cheap stuff in packages tha can't be opened, tha makes you take it home before you find out just how cheap it is.

I suspect if the were K-1s in the stores by now there would be one on my credit card. On line shopping is forcing me to be a responsible shopper.

The unavailability is giving me time to formulate a plan and maybe execute some of it.
05-26-2016, 05:06 AM   #123
Lens Buying Addict

One thing is certain - they won't build a high-satisfaction eCommerce platform around Shopatron.

Ricoh the parent company must decide to invest some fairly significant money in the USA if they want more sales here. That will mean investment in people, brand development, distribution and support. That will require RIAC to develop a credible, businesslike plan for the market, something they seem to have been unable to do for a couple decades.

Last edited by monochrome; 05-26-2016 at 05:20 AM.
05-26-2016, 06:04 AM   #124
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
problem is that the stores aren't doing great. Even the big box electronics companies like Circuit City and Best Buy are in rough shape (or have departed). The number of Americans who live close to a camera store with dedicated knowledgeable staff is actually pretty small.

I would just rather see some nicely targeted advertising.
Totally agree, commerce is and has been definitely evolving...all the electronic outlets where I live have closed shop except for Best Buy and I almost never purchase anything from there. As a hobbyist photog I have no problem buying via E-commerce routes and have purchased all my Pentax bodies this way (K20D/K7/K5/K01/K5IIs/K3). As for camera stores, that's not a viable outlet here either but no worries since Pentax makes camera bodies that I have yet to take issue with in terms of physical handling/ergonomics. Now that Amazon has a strategy for implementing brick and mortar stores into their business model...there may come a time where I can order from Amazon as I already do for many things, pick it up from the retail outlet either the same day or within two, handle it in store and if I don't like it just make the return right then and there.

Yup, advertising and marketing should be the focus. Just recently attended a college graduation where I met a new extended family member that was also a photography enthusiast...he was shooting Nikon D800. Told him what I shoot and why and he was genuinely surprised about Pentax...it had never been on his radar because he just hadn't had any exposure to it.

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote

The unavailability is giving me time to formulate a plan and maybe execute some of it.
My plan is formulated and executed...just waiting for my order to be fulfilled!

05-26-2016, 06:11 AM   #125
mee
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
One thing I do remember from back in the early 1990's, when I was preparing to switch from Pentax to Canon, is that Canon was sponsoring a Formula One car driven by Nigel Mansell, who was one of the top drivers of that time. I'm not suggesting that Pentax should do something that expensive {although space on an IndyCar spoiler might be fairly cheap these days}, but I suppose something like that could at least remind people about the brand.
That is the era when Canon marketed heavily in the sports events.. Who can forget the Agassi Canon Rebel commercials on Television? And the giant CANON logos on many sporting event courses/fields. They were all over the place.
05-31-2016, 03:04 AM   #126
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote

I was late getting in my pre-order....it worried me....so I called B&H and got a nice little girl on the line and told her my sad story...I'm old, some say mentally impaired, have few friends so my camera is my best friend...and a few mangy squirrels. I have two broken feet and can barely walk some days. Can you help me! I got my K1!

They put you on the "about to peg out" list. They get your bucks before the axe falls :-)
05-31-2016, 05:17 AM   #127
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Transit Quote
They put you on the "about to peg out" list. They get your bucks before the axe falls :-)
Yep, that girl had what we refer to as "Big Brain Thinking".

Regards!