Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 23 Likes Search this Thread
05-17-2016, 08:36 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
I've only been with Pentax for about 3 years now so it's good to hear that this has occurred before such as with the K10D and other models. Sounds like it is better that they are getting out what they can now rather than delay things any further, but this "not in stock because the K-1 is such a hot item" tactic is actually working to make me want one even more, regardless if I need or can afford one haha! I guess Pentax won't lose my K-1 sale, it will just have to be delayed for now as I use this time to further rationalize why I "need" one

05-17-2016, 09:15 PM - 2 Likes   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Being sold out hurting sales is kind of like no one going to an event because the lines to get in are too long. I think it's a problem most companies would love to have.
05-17-2016, 09:36 PM   #18

I could not pre-order because I had to sell some things to raise the money. Well I now have the funds. But no camera availability. I have a trip to the Colorado Rockies planned the end of June. So another trip with my Nikon crop sensor. I will rent a Sigma 28-35 f1.8 for the trip. But I was so looking forward to the K-1 and at least the 28-105 lens.

I prefer B&H due to their excellent customer service. That being said my last two cameras came from Adorama. I spoke with Adorama about what if my Pentax lens is decentered. Well if the lens is in "perfect condition" you could return it. Seems like they are not as user friendly as B&H. I had a shipping delay on my Canon G7X from Adorama which caused a case of major stress. The camera finally arrived the day before leaving the country...

We have one good camera shop in town. I will speak to them about their inventory and return policy.

Even if I have to wait, I will still buy a K-1 and use it along with my Nikon system. One any major travels, I always take two cameras. The K-1 would be my primary landscape camera and a Nikon D7200 would be my primary wildlife rig. A crop sensor camera with a Sigma 150-600 allows a system with great reach and is affordable.
05-17-2016, 11:45 PM   #19
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
I think that the people who genuinely want the K-1 understand the issues involved and will wait ( although impatiently ). I know for myself that when the K-3 was launched, I had to wait 3 months with my pre-order before my beauty came into my hands. But once I got it, the wait was forgotten. Impatience very often leads to poor choices IMO.

05-18-2016, 05:06 AM   #20
Pentaxian

If you don't need a new camera now, maybe the wait would be okay. I mean later on, this thing will go on sale. However in marketing, it sometimes drives people to another brand where products are currently available. The wait sometimes irritate customers.
05-18-2016, 05:22 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistlefoot Quote
Being sold out hurting sales is kind of like no one going to an event because the lines to get in are too long. I think it's a problem most companies would love to have.
Or as Yogi would say.."No one goes to that restaurant anymore, it's too busy."

"You can't buy a Pentax camera these days. They're all sold out."

The Pentax forum has it's own Yogi,
05-18-2016, 07:04 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Yeah, but they're not sold out like Canon or Nikon would be sold out. It's an extremely limited success. We're a legend in our own minds. lol

05-18-2016, 07:28 AM   #23
Veteran Member

But Pentax will never be Canon or Nikon . These 2 own more than 70% of the market and that why retail store carry these brands. Nothing Pentax can do about that and it's the retailer decide who they carry in stock.
05-18-2016, 07:41 AM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stillshot2 Quote
Is anyone else a little bothered that one must wait at least a month or more if they want the new K-1? B&H is estimating the wait is until July before more are in stock. I mean, it's good that the K-1 seems to be selling better than anticipated, but if someone wanted one within days from a reputable vendor such as B&H or Adorama it sure doesn't look like that is possible at this time. Are there any legitimate vendors that have any in stock at this time that I am not aware of? Thanks
What else would you want Pentax to do? They waited until they could accumulate at least some stock, but people were getting antsy as it was.

---------- Post added 05-18-16 at 10:43 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
Yeah, but they're not sold out like Canon or Nikon would be sold out. It's an extremely limited success. We're a legend in our own minds. lol
It appears to be the success that Pentax needs right now.
05-18-2016, 07:46 AM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bobmaxja Quote
But Pentax will never be Canon or Nikon .
Maybe not, but they used to be a vastly bigger presence in the camera market than they are now. These days, I feel like Pentax is playing to an aging crowd. If you didn't already know about Pentax, they're probably not on your radar because you can't see or touch one. You can't attract new users if you don't give them the opportunity to see your product.

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
It appears to be the success that Pentax needs right now.
Eh, true...it's all they're geared up for. But it's so much less than what they could be.
05-18-2016, 09:23 AM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

But it's so much less than what they could be.
But so much more than they were going to be if they continued down the path Hoya was on in 2011. If it weren't for Ricoh, I think all we'd be talking about is where to get parts/repairs for old bodies and what adapters are best for our orphaned glass.

Keep in mind that even though we have little view of the Japan, that is Pentax' largest market*. Hoya/Pentax essentially abandoned the US market, and like it or not, we are an offshoot. Ricoh simply doesn't have the cash it would take to buy their way back in - no one does, except maybe Apple. Given the current trends in cameras and Canon and Nikon's dominance and excess production capacity, Ricoh would be foolish to throw a lot of money into a "US or bust" campaign.

(*And yet, the PF World Pentax Day map shows NO photos from Japan!)
05-18-2016, 09:33 AM   #27
Pentaxian

Eh, true...it's all they're geared up for. But it's so much less than what they could be.
I know a lot of people who didn't buy right away because they don't have the funds.... the only people they are losing sales to right now would be first time Pentax users. The reports from the pre-release events say there was interest in the Camera and it's feature set from non-Pentax users. Pentax might lose a few of those, if they happen to be in camera buying mode and can't wait. But, I can't think of two people who have said they are going to get something else because they can't stand the wait. It's been 10 years for most of us, but for some 2 months is just two long/ Wat WId Dat?
05-18-2016, 09:39 AM - 2 Likes   #28
Veteran Member

I think the unavailability of Pentax products in retail outlets...be they Wal Mart or "mom and pop" camera stores...is what's killing the brand. We're becoming the equivalent of an "inside joke". You have to be one of the cool kids to know about Pentax and their current offerings.
Maybe not, but they used to be a vastly bigger presence in the camera market than they are now. These days, I feel like Pentax is playing to an aging crowd. If you didn't already know about Pentax, they're probably not on your radar because you can't see or touch one. You can't attract new users if you don't give them the opportunity to see your product.

Why are you being such a wet blanket? Did Ricoh kick your dog or something?
05-18-2016, 09:47 AM   #29
Pentaxian

killing the brand
That's funny.

QuoteOriginally posted by bobmaxja Quote
In stock in Canada
the cost is probably a factor too, even when converted from USD it's better to purchase in the US.
05-18-2016, 09:53 AM   #30
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
Why are you being such a wet blanket? Did Ricoh kick your dog or something?
LOL No...Pentax pulled out of my state. That's my point. How can they sell something that new buyers can't even hold? Unless you know me, there's almost nowhere else to see a Pentax DSLR. Call me crazy, but I think that's an impediment to sales.