Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 23 Likes Search this Thread
05-20-2016, 11:45 AM   #76
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
It may not have been Pentax...it may have been the camera dealer. But they own stores in a couple of states and carry pretty much every other brand so I assumed it was something with Pentax. This is what I've been saying. If you want to buy a Pentax camera here, you have to already know about them and have to mail order it. There is no place to see one up close and personal.
In some cases you have to ask what's better, a store that doesn't stock Pentax cameras, or a store that has a few on the shelf and tries to talk you out of it when you try and buy one. The last time I went into my favourite store of the time and mentioned Pentax, I swear the sales person almost turned up their nose.

My most recent purchase was a demo from the Camera store. I bought it on-line but it's from their store. I got my DA*200 $100 off as an open box store demo. The thing is stores who don't stock the high end lenses don't have open box or any sale product for the most part. That's the only reason I used to go into the store was to look for bargains. But sometimes looking for a bargain, I bought something full price.

Last edited by normhead; 05-20-2016 at 12:05 PM.
05-20-2016, 12:18 PM   #77
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There is no place to see one up close and personal.
That is true most likely. The same here unless I drive about 5 hours. But I don't think Pentax left Oklahoma, your local camera dealer did.

I'm not sure we have an actual 'camera store' left in Oregon. We have a couple shops but they only sell used gear. All others I am aware of have I think, closed. But this is an indication the channel is dying, not that Pentax is pulling out of anyplace.
05-20-2016, 12:26 PM   #78
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It may not have been Pentax...it may have been the camera dealer. But they own stores in a couple of states and carry pretty much every other brand so I assumed it was something with Pentax. This is what I've been saying. If you want to buy a Pentax camera here, you have to already know about them and have to mail order it. There is no place to see one up close and personal.
I just have to say, the K-1 is the only camera I have EVER bought that I touched before I paid for it.
05-20-2016, 01:25 PM - 4 Likes   #79
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I just have to say, the K-1 is the only camera I have EVER bought that I touched before I paid for it.
After paying for my K-30, I asked to handle one of the "dummy" K-01 bodies they had in the case, just so I could say I did. And look how THAT turned out.

05-20-2016, 02:27 PM   #80
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
After paying for my K-30, I asked to handle one of the "dummy" K-01 bodies they had in the case, just so I could say I did. And look how THAT turned out.
That's 64 megapickles of quirky goodness right there!
05-20-2016, 02:36 PM   #81
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
If the "shortage" has any effect on sales it will likely be that it will increase them. Few things make a good product more sought after than does short supply.
05-20-2016, 03:02 PM   #82
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
If the "shortage" has any effect on sales it will likely be that it will increase them. Few things make a good product more sought after than does short supply.
Especially when long-term users of other makers' products switch to yours. Has anyone else noted the number of switchers signing on to PF, recently? Not huge numbers, I know, but the way I see it, this Forum is the tip of the iceberg in many respects, including ownership. A few years ago, people here were bemoaning the exit of switchers going the other way. Still, it's early days, yet.

05-20-2016, 06:34 PM   #83
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
You da Man! I only have two.
05-21-2016, 11:39 AM   #84
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Just curious, but what went through your mind as you picked it up?
05-21-2016, 12:25 PM   #85
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stillshot2 Quote
Just curious, but what went through your mind as you picked it up?
Can I just remind everyone that adult-themed content is forbidden here...
05-21-2016, 12:56 PM - 1 Like   #86
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

We're becoming the equivalent of an "inside joke".
Maybe you should read all the reviews....no one is laughing, but there are plenty of big smiles of joy!

The K1 is putting Pentax on the map...there is no doubt about it.

I was late getting in my pre-order....it worried me....so I called B&H and got a nice little girl on the line and told her my sad story...I'm old, some say mentally impaired, have few friends so my camera is my best friend...and a few mangy squirrels. I have two broken feet and can barely walk some days. Can you help me! I got my K1!

My apology to someone that got knocked down a notch on the list and now has to wait.

Regards!
05-21-2016, 01:08 PM   #87
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
The K1 is putting Pentax on the map...there is no doubt about it.
I think Ricoh / Pentax was already on the map with the K-3 & K-3II, but I couldn't agree more - the K-1 has lifted the brand into the big league

I'm old, some say mentally impaired, have few friends so my camera is my best friend...and a few mangy squirrels.
You have *plenty* of friends here, Rupert
05-21-2016, 01:15 PM   #88
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
You have *plenty* of friends here, Rupert
...and I love all my friends here! But....I needed all the sympathy I could get! I even told her Mrs Rupert beat me with her broom...when she wasn't flying on it!

Regards!
05-21-2016, 01:20 PM   #89
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I even told her Mrs Rupert beat me with her broom...when she wasn't flying on it!
You better hope Mrs. Rupert doesn't read this forum..........................
05-21-2016, 01:34 PM   #90
Pentaxian

...and I love all my friends here! But....I needed all the sympathy I could get! I even told her Mrs Rupert beat me with her broom...when she wasn't flying on it!
I hope that comment didn't make it to the credit card receipt {IIRC, Mrs. Rupert's card paid for the K-1 you were in the process of ordering}