Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-18-2016, 02:06 PM   #31
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Meg4mi Quote
The only things i've in mind is my futur trip (november) in thailand where i'd like to be able to get the best landscape possible. And on that one, I can't stop thinking the k-1 will be the best tool for it.
I'm sorry, if you are seeking someone merely to satisfy your need for justification, that's probably not going to be me. I can see a FF in requirement absolutes on studio work, weddings, fashion shoots for magazines, detailed architectural work but just not on a trip to Thailand.

Bottom basics: you want it badly enough, lust for it possibly and have the money? Go for it! Don't seek to rationalize it in any way and certainly not through an upcoming trip to Thailand. There's always such a trip, for everybody. That's what marketing is actually for - you wouldn't want to come back with substandard results out of a lowly K-3 from such a trip, now would you?

K-1 is today's awesome, tomorrow's used to be decent.

05-18-2016, 02:26 PM   #32

QuoteOriginally posted by newmikey Quote
Might be a little harsh, but in all essence it's pretty true! On the other hand, the K-1 will take the same pictures 10 years from now that it does today!

Looking through your Flickr, it looks like you are doing quite amazing work right now, and I really don't think you'll look with shame or regret on your pictures from your Thailand trip if you use the K-3. That being said, it does have some tangible benefits. Two easy options are:

Spend $1000+ on lenses, and have a pretty great kit for your trip.

Spend $1800+ on the FF and have a potentially sub-standard lens lineup come November or spend more yet for some extra FF lenses.

I'd guess that come October the K-1 would be pretty readily available, so if you had the funds after buying a few lenses, you could always reassess the situation 4 or 5 months from now.

Personally, if traveling with a new K-1, I'd probably want to have some pretty solid insurance for loss/theft/accidental damage, etc.
05-18-2016, 02:29 PM   #33

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by newmikey Quote
I'm sorry, if you are seeking someone merely to satisfy your need for justification, that's probably not going to be me. I can see a FF in requirement absolutes on studio work, weddings, fashion shoots for magazines, detailed architectural work but just not on a trip to Thailand.

Bottom basics: you want it badly enough, lust for it possibly and have the money? Go for it! Don't seek to rationalize it in any way and certainly not through an upcoming trip to Thailand. There's always such a trip, for everybody. That's what marketing is actually for - you wouldn't want to come back with substandard results out of a lowly K-3 from such a trip, now would you?

Lets put it another way.
The more I read here about the k1, the more I want it. And if I make the move before my trip, I kinda kill 2 birds with one stone.

But here i'm trying with your help to be pragmatic.

I appreciate all your advice and time you have given to me.
05-18-2016, 02:44 PM   #34
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
So for now, the idea of getting the da 50, and wait a bit before getting the k-1 sounds like a pretty good plan to me. But i have some doubts about the the usefulness of the 50mm FL on crop sensor compard to the 35mm ?
I prefer 35mm on APS-C, but 50mm is quite useful on APS-C too. Personally I would recommend to time the DA50 to now regardless of how many months you are going to wait for a price drop on K-1.

BTW, some may think 50mm f/1,8 on FF gives 1 stop more subject isolation and 1 stop shorter exposure times compared to 35mm f/2,4 on APS-C. However its actually two stops difference. One for the aperture difference and one for the sensor size difference.

Last edited by Simen1; 05-18-2016 at 03:02 PM.
05-18-2016, 02:48 PM   #35
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You would probably need a DFA 15-30 to make it worth using that K-1 for landscapes. If you don't have the budget for that, the DA 12-24 on your K-3 would probably be a better option. What good would the K-1 do if you don't get good lenses with it?
05-18-2016, 04:04 PM   #36
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
the more I want it

Well, last Friday I didn't want it immediately.However, when I went to the shop to feel/look at a real one(I had only seen photos) and was shown what it does!
I wasn't WAITING!....Forget other cameras, yes they are all good.The K1 will enthuse you no end,its value and it performs!

You have enough good lenses to start with and if the 17/50 vignettes then switch to crop mode.Itll still be wide enough

---------- Post added 05-19-16 at 10:07 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
What good would the K-1 do if you don't get good lenses with it?
Its plenty good with the basic lenses and superb with "good" lenses.
05-18-2016, 04:14 PM   #37
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Its plenty good with the basic lenses and superb with "good" lenses.
The OP doesn't have any full frame landscape lenses and wants to do landscape... and said if he buys the K-1, he won't have a budget for lenses... so how do you solve that problem
05-18-2016, 04:17 PM   #38
Pentaxian

The first day I took my K1 out, I strolled down to the beach with a Sigma 24mm attached.Plenty wide enough for great landscape shots,the Tamron @ 17mm will get a lot more in the frame than a 24mm.I don't own that lens but after researching it, id like to.F2.8 on FF is much better than on aps-c.

Last edited by surfar; 05-18-2016 at 05:05 PM.
05-18-2016, 07:28 PM   #39
Site Supporter

after comparing my all manual $25 ricoh 28mm to the rest of the ltd/da* lenses i have... i'm pretty convinced there have been no advancements in optics over the past 40(whatever) years (not that i don't love the others). that little thing is stunning!
05-18-2016, 08:48 PM   #40
Loyal Site Supporter

The first day I took my K1 out, I strolled down to the beach with a Sigma 24mm attached.Plenty wide enough for great landscape shots,the Tamron @ 17mm will get a lot more in the frame than a 24mm.I don't own that lens but after researching it, id like to.F2.8 on FF is much better than on aps-c.
Which Tamron at 17? The 17-50 isn't a full frame lens, and 17mm on crop is about the same as 25-26mm on full frame.
05-18-2016, 08:48 PM   #41
Pentaxian

The Tamron is not a full frame lens.
05-18-2016, 09:07 PM   #42
Loyal Site Supporter

da 55-300mm (better resolution and maybe more reach)
da 35/2.4 (want more suject isolation) [full frame capable]
Tamron 90mm/2.8 [full frame]
Tamron 17-50/2.8 (random focus)
Pentax A 50/1.7 (hard to nail focus) [full frame]

I would like wonderful Dynamic Range and low noise as possible.

Here is the dilemma :

-Buy better lenses for the k-3 and improve my technique (I had the k-5II for 2 years, and i have the k-3 since january)

OR

-Sell the tamron 17-50, and buy the K-1, but i won't be able to afford new lenses for it as it is
If you cant afford any lenses and you are selling the 17-50, what do you plan to use for landscapes with the fine new k-1?

If you shoot in crop mode you gain little of the benefits you want. There should be a small dynamic range and ISO advantage, but not like what you will see with a ff lens and sensor. The 35 you have will get a bit wider perspective but nothing that wide.

So...how does the k-1 help?
05-18-2016, 11:08 PM   #43

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
If you cant afford any lenses and you are selling the 17-50, what do you plan to use for landscapes with the fine new k-1?
I probably will intensively search the better/cheapest option to get a wide enough lense (even an old one mf lense, if it is for landscape).
05-19-2016, 12:47 AM   #44
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Which Tamron at 17? The 17-50 isn't a full frame lens
QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
The Tamron is not a full frame lens
Well, neither are the Da series Pentax lenses so they cant possibly work OR can they?

Last edited by surfar; 05-19-2016 at 02:17 AM.
05-19-2016, 05:45 AM   #45
Pentaxian

Well, neither are the Da series Pentax lenses so they cant possibly work OR can they?
They work (as the Tamron will also work) only in crop mode, where you end up with a 15MP picture. Which is still nice, but if you are seriously wanting to do landscape work with the K-1, it's probably not what you want. Also, some DA lenses will work on full frame. The DA 16-45mm, for example, is said to be a 22-45mm full frame lens (but I don't know how sharp the corners will be on the K-1). Only the 16-21mm part of the 16-45 doesn't cover the full frame circle. Also, a lot of DA primes will cover the full frame, like the 35 2.4, the two 40mm primes, the 50, the 55 and the 70. And so on.