Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-20-2016, 11:42 AM   #61
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
The DAL 50-200 wr usable right though the range.

Well, I thnk you should get your eyes tested OR test it on a K1, because that's what ive tested mine on.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/321433-hd-w...ml#post3649921

Others seem to have different opinions about the 50-200 also. But I note that you mention WR - I wonder if they have the WR lens. In any case pictures would help a lot. What one person thinks isn't FF due to vignetting another may find acceptable.

05-20-2016, 11:46 AM   #62
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Meg4mi Quote
Hi there.

I need your advices.

For now I have a k-3 with thoses lenses : da 55-300mm, da 35/2.4, tamron 90mm/2.8, tamron 17-50/2.8, and pentax A 50/1.7

I would like more subject isolation with the 35mm focal length.
I'm not so confident when using the tamron 17-50 AF (i find it a bit random).
I also would like to get bette resolution at same or longer reach than the 55-300mm.
I almost never use the A50/1.7 because i find difficult to nail the focus.
I would like wonderful Dynamic Range and low noise as possible.

Here is the dilemma :

-Buy better lenses for the k-3 and improve my technique (I had the k-5II for 2 years, and i have the k-3 since january)

OR

-Sell the tamron 17-50, and buy the K-1, but i won't be able to afford new lenses for it as it is already quite an expense.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Meg4mi
as far as investment goes, a body looses value quickly. if you get a good used lens at the right price you can use it and sell it for the same price. that being said, I would invest in better lenses and use the K3 until the K1 becomes more affordable (used) just make sure what ever lens you pick up will be compatible with the K1. when another model of full frame comes out the K1 will likely be half the price vs new

good luck

Randy
05-20-2016, 01:51 PM   #63
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
snarky and rude remark.

yes, I apolagise

---------- Post added 05-21-16 at 07:53 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Others seem to have different opinions about the 50-200 also
Ive just retested all the zooms ive commented on....I will amend my findings

---------- Post added 05-21-16 at 07:56 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by kh1234567890 Quote
My, probably 'broken', copy of the DA16-45 on 35mm film vignettes from 16 to 18 (or so) mm at f4, and from 16 to 22 (or so) mm stopped down. It is fine at the longer focal lengths
Yes, just retested mine,your copy is better, mine is usable from 20mm
05-20-2016, 01:56 PM   #64
Loyal Site Supporter

yes, I apolagise

---------- Post added 05-21-16 at 07:53 AM ----------

Ive just retested all the zooms ive commented on....I will amend my findings
Is there a single "one stop" place to go to definitively see the compatibility of DA lenses on the K-1? Does that exist? I know there was a forum thread that predates that with film full frame images - is there a K-1 specific one we can point to when threads like this come up?

05-20-2016, 01:58 PM   #65
Pentaxian

Is there a single "one stop" place to go to definitively see the compatibility of DA lenses on the K-1? Does that exist? I know there was a forum thread that predates that with film full frame images - is there a K-1 specific one we can point to when threads like this come up?
24x36 is 24x36, it doesn't matter if it is film or digital, the coverage area is the same. Meaning, Pentax had full frame for over 50 years now and we have been able to test all these lenses on full frame Not to mention that people adapted them to the Sony A7 line and to Canon. So the other thread is still valid. This one: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/54-pentax-lens-articles/31629-da-lenses-f...ts-thread.html
05-20-2016, 02:10 PM   #66
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
There is going to be a review of all the DA lenses on the K1, its happening soon,so ive read.
Hd wr da 16-85 on the k-1?
I don't own that one, so i'll wait for the review

The retest of the WR dal 50-200mm showed the slightest vignetting at 50, from 52mm it is fine.

ive noticed that some people comment the 55-300mm(I have DA non WR) vignettes at wide end, I don't find that at all on my retest.
05-20-2016, 02:18 PM   #67

ive noticed that some people comment the 55-300mm(I have DA non WR) vignettes at wide end, I don't find that at all on my retest.
I put the 55-300 on my K-1 the other day and definitely noticed some vignetting at the wide end, and it cleared up as I zoomed in. There was a phase where there was no vignetting, but it seemed to have a hazy softness, but that might be my imagination. I was very impressed with the level of coverage, as I mounted the lens with the intent of seeing what it was like looking through a circle of vignette. I wouldn't call the lens fully compatible, or even near perfect on FF though. I'd take some extensive photos to check edge softness before using it regularly in FF mode also.

As others have said, unless you're taking and developing photos on a film camera, the viewfinder isn't showing 100% in film cameras.
05-20-2016, 02:21 PM   #68
Loyal Site Supporter

24x36 is 24x36, it doesn't matter if it is film or digital, the coverage area is the same. Meaning, Pentax had full frame for over 50 years now and we have been able to test all these lenses on full frame Not to mention that people adapted them to the Sony A7 line and to Canon. So the other thread is still valid. This one: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/54-pentax-lens-articles/31629-da-lenses-f...ts-thread.html
I find that thread unwieldy. I can look at the summary data without problems and that's great - but there is no index of links to get me to a specific set of example photos. Also since the thread is old many of the linked images have evaporated. For example I tried to look up the 50-200 based on the comments by another poster in this thread. I couldn't find any that had photos. The one really promising one said it was unusable at 50mm and 200mm and had photos linked but those are all dead links now.

Ah well. Soon the articles will flow. I would love to see links to each lenses tests in that thread however.

05-20-2016, 02:27 PM   #69
Pentaxian

I find that thread unwieldy. I can look at the summary data without problems and that's great - but there is no index of links to get me to a specific set of example photos. Also since the thread is old many of the linked images have evaporated. For example I tried to look up the 50-200 based on the comments by another poster in this thread. I couldn't find any that had photos. The one really promising one said it was unusable at 50mm and 200mm and had photos linked but those are all dead links now.

Ah well. Soon the articles will flow. I would love to see links to each lenses tests in that thread however.
Yeah an index in that first post would be great. But that would also be a lot of work to maintain... I wish a google or forum search would like directly to the page, that would help as well.
05-20-2016, 02:30 PM   #70
Loyal Site Supporter

Yeah an index in that first post would be great. But that would also be a lot of work to maintain... I wish a google or forum search would like directly to the page, that would help as well.
The best I can make work is a search within this thread - I searched for 200 rather than 50-200 and I'm glad I did since the one post that seemed most promising actually just called it a telezoom and then showed the min / max as 50 and 200.

In any case - it is what we have and we'll enjoy using it more than nothing.
05-20-2016, 06:58 PM   #71
Site Supporter

Don't forget that viewfinder coverage on those film cameras is not 100%, so allow another 1mm before it really clears up the extreme corners. So 15mm is probably more realistic, which agrees with reports I've seen about the 10-20, if I recall correctly..
My current lenses provide the equivalent of 15mm - 450mm coverage in FF. One reason I would be reluctant to even think of FF, even if the camera were given to me, is the cost of providing similar actual FF coverage. To me, finding 15mm coverage through lenses like this make the whole concept of FF more reasonable.
07-03-2016, 12:27 AM   #72

Original Poster
Update

Hi everyone.

Just to keep you update.
Few days after I've started this thread i've finally decided to keep my k-3. Birthday was comming and my wife planning with all my friends so I can afford the new k-1.
As some of you may have noticed, i'm a k-1 owner since early June.

And my lense line-up is :
DA 35/2.4 (walkaround)
DA 50/1.8 (normal and portrait)
Helios 44-2 (58/2.0) (fun lense, and mine is quite sharp wide open, lucky)
Tamron 90mm/2.8 (portrait and macro)
HD 55-300 wr which is not bad in FF mode.

I will sell my : -smc A 50mm 1.7 and -tamron 17-50/2.8

I would like to go wider than my 35mm for landscape and for now i'm hesitating between two routes :
- tamron 28-75/2.8 (a zoom, that go wider than 35mm)
- samyang 14/2.8 ( a prime UWA, to really go wider)

I am also open for other propositions, but as you probably have seen, expensives lenses(DFA...) are out of debate for now.

What are your advices ?

Meg4mi
07-04-2016, 11:17 AM   #73

Original Poster
I've opted for a used tamron 28-75mm/2.8 as i think it will compliment well the K-1. And i can use the nd filter i had for the 17-50mm.
Just hope i will find it wide enough.
07-04-2016, 11:42 AM   #74
Pentaxian

I have the 16-45 and I have FF Pentax cameras (film). And based on what I see in my viewfinder, I know you must be confused.
I agree, it works from about 21mm on my film cameras too. You can see the vinetting I the viewfinder

Another affordable wide angle for FF would be the FA 20-35
07-08-2016, 02:11 PM   #75
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Meg4mi Quote
Hi there.

I need your advices.

For now I have a k-3 with thoses lenses : da 55-300mm, da 35/2.4, tamron 90mm/2.8, tamron 17-50/2.8, and pentax A 50/1.7

I would like more subject isolation with the 35mm focal length.
I'm not so confident when using the tamron 17-50 AF (i find it a bit random).
I also would like to get bette resolution at same or longer reach than the 55-300mm.
I almost never use the A50/1.7 because i find difficult to nail the focus.
I would like wonderful Dynamic Range and low noise as possible.

Here is the dilemma :

-Buy better lenses for the k-3 and improve my technique (I had the k-5II for 2 years, and i have the k-3 since january)

OR

-Sell the tamron 17-50, and buy the K-1, but i won't be able to afford new lenses for it as it is already quite an expense.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Meg4mi
Hello !

If your are ready to invest into an FF, you may want to consider used gear. For the price of K1 new, you may get a used D610 or something like that, as well as a 35mm f/2, 50mm f/1.7 and 85mm f/1.8. Selling the existing kit would allow to get a 70-300 to replace the 55-300, the tamron macro in the proper mount and some 28-75 for when you want a zoom. You'll get better high iso all around, more subject isolation too.

Other forum member are quite right that lenses keep their value longer than body so that quite viable strategy.

For much much cheaper than that you could simply complete your current setup with a sigma 30mm f/1.4 to replace that 35mm f/2.4 that it is bit too limited in apperture to give that much subject isolation at the typical framing it is used. Another option if you don't mind the weight is the sigma 18-35 f/1.8 that a great lens, high quality one but many find the AF bothersome. That 2 interresting option to solve your problem. Much cheaper but maybe not as effective as going the FF route.

It depend how much you are willing to spend and how far your current gear is from your perceived "needs".