Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-26-2016, 04:34 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by narual Quote
There's a difference between paid professional shots and "I'm shooting photos of my kids"

You can get usable shots at just about ISO level, especially if you're willing to convert to black and white..
Paid, or shots we amateurs think are important, Narual.

Too much damage for mine ... it's not just the graininess and loss of detail of very high ISO, along with the plastic look of software noise reduction required to cope with it, it's the big hit dynamic range takes too - the colours get crushed.

What you and I think are acceptable in a pic obviously differ ... that's the beauty of subjectivity, no?

05-26-2016, 08:43 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Technique is the word

I agree that too many people think they need a lens with a large aperture to allow a fast shutter speed and forget the ISO aspect. A high ISO allows a faster shutter speed with a smaller aperture which gives greater depth of field. Back in the days of film when the fastest ISO you could get with adequate quality was 400, you needed that larger aperture to allow you to use a fast shutter speed to stop motion (that assumes you are not using a flash). Taking photos of moving subjects with a large aperture is very difficult. You have to pre-focus on a spot and take the photo when the subject moves into your focus point.
Personally, I would get a K-3ii. It will give you several improvements over your K-50, not to mention higher ISO and more pixels. I assume you are very unlikely to make prints larger than 8x10, so you don't really need 24mp, but it is nice to have.
05-26-2016, 08:59 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think your K-50 plus a Sigma 28 f1.8 would be a good combo. $300 to $350 per a very fast check on the bay of e's seems to get you that lens. Sigma Super-Wide II AF is slightly wider at 24mm with a max aperture of f2.8 and that sounds good to me. I've owned neither lens, so grain of salt, but mid-20's primes sound like a good path here.
06-04-2016, 09:45 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My main go to lens is the *50-135 do to the effortless ability to crop when needed. It is fast enough for all but when they are running towards you when converted to the screw drive. Most were shot wide open at f2.8 or f3.2
I would take the kids outside to a place where there is shade (or a cloudy day) and let them get used to you.... then follow them around with the camera (I relaxed having a few beer in my camping chair while doing this)
Sometimes getting different expressions that reflect the child's personality is a good shoot
sometimes odd angles can make a good pic as well.

Attached Images