Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-23-2008, 07:08 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I had the same dilemma and ended up going with the K200D for one reason: The K10D is no longer supported by Pentax.

Coming from the K100D, the controls on the K200D were very familiar. The addition of the Raw+ feature was another huge selling point, as was SDM support.

My biggest gripe? Buffer size.......it sucks! Luckily I don't have a real need for burst mode.

09-04-2008, 01:43 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Seriously, do a test comparison shot between DS and k20d. Best take a pair of shots using aperture f8 and post here to show us that there is little difference between the two. There are hardly any macroscpic difference to image quality.

It is the brain behind the camera that matters.
09-04-2008, 02:10 AM   #18
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Bokeh Quote
I've had my K100D a little over a year now, and I've been satisfied with the viewfinder thus far. In fact, the viewfinder has never been an issue with me.

I could probably swing a K20D right now, but I'd rather bulild a slightly larger collection of good glass before I upgrade the body.
Have to agree. I enjoyed my K100D alot, and it still feels like a damn reliable body.

I got my K20d recently, and yes, I wish I have been collecting more glass...
I SO want a fish-eye, but im all out of mula now.
09-04-2008, 10:35 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Hands down the K10D. The K200D is a 'light" version of K10D.

09-05-2008, 04:47 AM   #20

QuoteOriginally posted by ll_coffee_lP Quote
The camera is "the sex" to hold and use.
LOL! Well put and I agree. Ergonomics and bomb-proofness are a factor, as are the additionally better-accessible features via dials/buttons over menus. That said, I agree with the comfort of the AA battery over the Proprietary. Why oh why didn't Pentax design the battery grip to take AAs...?
09-08-2008, 03:15 AM   #21
Forum Member

I was in the same exact position and went with the K10D for two main reasons:

1. Larger pentaprism viewfinder - I can live without live view if the viewfinder is big and bright, which the K10D's certainly is. I use manual focus quite a bit and the viewfinder is important to me.

2. Front and rear e-dials/accessibility. I already use this feature a lot and would miss it if I didnt have it. As a beginner, they're really making it quick and easy to take a trial and error approach to learning about depth of field and exposure.

Those two differences were the deal maker for me, might not be as important to you. AA power didnt factor in although when my battery went from 2 bars to dead in a couple shots with flash the other night I wasnt too happy with the proprietary battery (is this normal btw?) Anyway good luck!
09-08-2008, 10:53 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Thanks, and switch to Eneloops...

QuoteOriginally posted by PaddyB Quote
I was in the same exact position and went with the K10D for two main reasons:

1. Larger pentaprism viewfinder - I can live without live view if the viewfinder is big and bright, which the K10D's certainly is. I use manual focus quite a bit and the viewfinder is important to me.

2. Front and rear e-dials/accessibility. I already use this feature a lot and would miss it if I didnt have it. As a beginner, they're really making it quick and easy to take a trial and error approach to learning about depth of field and exposure.

Those two differences were the deal maker for me, might not be as important to you. AA power didnt factor in although when my battery went from 2 bars to dead in a couple shots with flash the other night I wasnt too happy with the proprietary battery (is this normal btw?) Anyway good luck!
Can't say what's "normal" with batteries, but I strongly recommend the Eneloop AA batteries... I switched and they last three times longer than anything else I've tried, come pre-charged and, their greatest virtue, have a very very very long shelflife with virtually no dropoff. Excellent, and well worth the additional cost (oh, they do take forever and a day to charge on the standard Sanyo charger, so if you need rapid charge you might want to look for a ungraded charger). Last time I looked Costco has a good deal on an Eneloop kit that included two sets AA, one set AAA, adapter and charger.
FHPhotog

09-08-2008, 11:23 AM   #23
Site Supporter

The k200D gets no love.
09-08-2008, 12:49 PM   #24
Kei

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
The k200D gets no love.
Wrong, I LOVE my k200d

My original plan was to wait for the K200d/K20d to come out then buy the K100d super for cheap. But after seeing the improved battery life and weather sealing (on an entry model!) plus official support of the grip; I throw the plan out the window. Bought the camera when I saw the package deal.

Did I say I love my k200d?
09-08-2008, 01:57 PM   #25
Veteran Member

The K200D is about 100 g lighter.
09-08-2008, 07:24 PM   #26

I'd go with the K10D because of the menus availlable.. The 2dial of the K10D is a big deal to me.. Besides the K10D is perfect in my hands(big hands)..
09-08-2008, 10:05 PM   #27

Since this thread has been disinterred...

I wound up buying both a K200D and, subsequently, a K10D. I figure if I wind up using one most of the time, I can sell the other.

For me, the huge plus to the K10D is controls on the body. On the K200D, AE metering mode, AF focus point, switching between AF.S and AF.C, and bracketing all require diving into menus (bracketing is off drive mode under Fn and the others become Rec menu items). The two dials and all the options for setting them are also real nice. Features unique to the K10D include the User, TAv and X-synch modes, extended bracketing, multi-exposure. And there's that pentaprism.

On the other hand, the K200D is appreciably smaller and lighter. Some people will see the fourteen auto shooting modes (portrait, landscape, etc,) as a desirable feature. In the non-auto modes, you have the six customizable image tone configurations. The K200D has more noise reduction options than the K10D, plus its dynamic range boost. It has a bigger LCD. I like some of the controls better -- nicer four-way selector, easier toggle switches, the SC card and battery compartments don't use those fussy lift-and-turn thingees. One nice touch is the option to have ISO displayed all the time, instead of shots remaining.

I can't see that either is absolutely better than the other. The two cameras are of different generations, designed for different audiences and, until recently, at different price points.
10-11-2008, 03:28 PM   #28

For me it was the K200d. I upgraded from the ist DS. I miss the penta prism viewfinder. I tried a K10 on holidays and found it to be too big and heavy. The size was one of the major factor for choosing the K200 over the K10. Also, I like the AA batteries. As for the program modes - didn't matter with me. I mainly shoot in Program or Aperture Priority or Shutter priority. It has been 2 months since upgrading and I am really enjoying the K200!

Cheers