Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-22-2016, 11:36 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
The speed of back button focus vs your shutter release

I am slowly easing myself in to the use of the back focus button on my KS-2. All the required button customisation has been done. And I can't fault the logic behind separating the shutter release and AF functions. It certainly makes a lot of sense and eliminates a lot of unneccesary refocusing and having to switch between modes. But there is one caveat. Do you notice that AF using the shutter release button and your finger is that much quicker compared to the AE button and your thumb. Most of the time the difference doesn't really matter but it is when you get to things like shooting birds in flight that you notice it. Its probably a few tenths of a second behind to lock on. If I recall correctly, when developing the K3 and Ks2, Pentax did work on things like shortening the travel and sensitivity of the shutter release button to increase the response time for AF. Perhaps that increased sensitivity did not extend to the back focus button. Or perhaps it's just my thumb? Just wonder if anybody has had the same experiences.

Cheers
Andrew

Last edited by Andy Fern; 05-23-2016 at 01:56 AM.
05-23-2016, 03:21 AM - 1 Like   #2

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I suspect it's your thumb. When timing high school track meets I remember being instructed to use the forefinger instead of the thumb because we were told it was not as fast/repeatable. I never asked for references so I am not sure if it is a wives tale or fact.

But I'm in the same boat.... Just moved to back button focus on K-3ii and find my old habits hard to break.

And .... Pentax, make the camera wake up on back button focus press please.