Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-24-2016, 02:02 AM   #1
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Death of PKTether?

I'm currently working on a review of Image Transmitter 2 and took a moment to look back at PKTether. It looks like the web site has been flagged for malware and malicious ads (not linking to it for that reason).

With native tethering support in Pentax medium format and FF models and at least some sort of wireless tethering in all recent APS-C models, is it safe to assume that the PKTether project is dead? Does anyone know?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-24-2016, 02:35 AM   #2

You can access the website via Internet Explorer or Opera, which don't use Mozilla's or Google's site filter. These filters have been known to have false positives before or people with an agenda will report malicious software. Or the problem has been cleared up and the database hasn't been updated.

McAfee's Site Advisor rates pktether as safe:
pktether.com | McAfee SiteAdvisor Software ? Website Safety Ratings and Secure Search
05-24-2016, 03:09 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Adam's right about the malware. Here's what I received from my antivirus app upon ignoring the warning in my browser:

Last edited by TomTom; 05-24-2016 at 03:39 AM. Reason: clarity
05-24-2016, 03:18 AM   #4

Photos: Gallery
My antivirus NOD blocked a Trojan horse TrojanDownloader.Fake jQuery. You have to be careful.
Author PKTether not develop it from a longer time. The program works with K-5, K-5II and K5IIs. K-3, K-S2 are not supported. I do not know how it is with K30 and K50

05-24-2016, 03:22 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

under recent comments a link to the downloads is suspect it linked to a competition page that is un-related. but not the second time, I emailed the pkt contact email

Eset is good stuff, is what I'd use if on windows or mac.

Last edited by beachgardener; 05-24-2016 at 05:34 AM.
05-24-2016, 05:10 AM - 1 Like   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
It's cute that you guys are trying to explain how to access a flagged site to a web developer Anyway, I think there's definitely a valid reason that the site has been flagged. I really hope the author didn't plaster the site intentionally!

So it sounds like development has stopped. Thankfully it looks like pkTriggerCord is making progress, though.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-24-2016, 05:14 AM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
It's cute that you guys are trying to explain how to access a flagged site to a web developer Anyway, I think there's definitely a valid reason that the site has been flagged. I really hope the author didn't plaster the site intentionally!

So it sounds like development has stopped. Thankfully it looks like pkTriggerCord is making progress, though.
ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

nothing to add, but Adam, that was awesome!

05-24-2016, 06:12 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Not only does firefox 'block' the site, it also blocks the zipfile download.

edit: I downloaded the zip with Edge (no warnings) and scanned it with malwarebytes. No warnings. Probably they had some problems with bad advertising.

---------- Post added 24-05-16 at 15:30 ----------

But it hasn't been developed since 2012 anyway. It only works up to the K-5 II and not on the K-30 and beyond.

Last edited by D1N0; 05-24-2016 at 06:26 AM.
05-24-2016, 07:25 AM   #9
Veteran Member

LOL

You handled that well Adam. I downloaded the PKtether Zip from the site using my Android phone. I saved it to google drive, ran a Kaspersky scan on the file and it was all good. I am thinking the site is suspect tho.

It is a shame dev may stop because the Debug mode was really handy for hacking.

If anybody is looking, I have a bug free version on my google drive. Here is the link https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2uv9RXId6z4eUE2OTZmVTMybFk
05-24-2016, 07:38 AM - 3 Likes   #10
Veteran Member

I thought PKTether was a forum member and I was going to express my condolences. This is much better!
05-24-2016, 08:40 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Blacknight659 Quote
It is a shame dev may stop because the Debug mode was really handy for hacking.
Hmmm.... I saw a brief reference here on PF about hacks for the K10D, my (only) weapon of choice. I wondered what that was about. Are there some tweaks I can do? I have a copy of PKTether that I got within the last year that scanned as clean with ESET. Can I use it to expand the capabilities of my K10D?
05-24-2016, 08:42 AM   #12

I just downloaded and scanned the zip file with 56 virus scanners via virustotal.com. All clean.

I rescanned the URL via virustotal.com. 3 out of 67 scanners say it is a bad site. The usual rate for false positives.

But yeah, it hasn't been updated since the K5ii.

Edit: I did an MD5 checksum comparison between the freshly downloaded zip and a copy I archived to DVDR in 2012. The files are identical.
Attached Images

Last edited by Not a Number; 05-24-2016 at 08:57 AM.
05-24-2016, 08:56 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Apet-Sure Quote
Hmmm.... I saw a brief reference here on PF about hacks for the K10D, my (only) weapon of choice. I wondered what that was about. Are there some tweaks I can do? I have a copy of PKTether that I got within the last year that scanned as clean with ESET. Can I use it to expand the capabilities of my K10D?
Well, you would want to access the development screen. I am not sure what you could do in there to tweak your camera. I used it to hack my 50-135 but was using a different method. Here is a link to help get you started. I think you have to use this method on the older cameras.

Debug mode
05-24-2016, 09:29 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

We could all stop worrying about it if Ricoh would just let APS-C users have the Lightroom Plug-in.
05-24-2016, 10:17 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Blacknight659 Quote
Here is a link to help get you started.
Thank you. I'll tread very carefully.

[Update]
After looking over the site, I don't think I will tread at all. The risk/benefit ratio looks too high.

Last edited by Apet-Sure; 05-24-2016 at 10:54 AM. Reason: Update