Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-25-2016, 10:22 AM   #1

Using non-Pentax lenses

I am considering buying a Pentax K3. I have two K-mount lenses that came with my old Samsung DSLR: one 18-50mm and one 55 - 200mm, made by Schneider. Both produce decent quality images although perhaps not up to Pentax standards. Any idea whether these will work with the K3, please?

05-25-2016, 10:39 AM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Any lenses made for Pentax will work on any Pentax DSLR. Some need an adapter but if your lenses are K-mount they'll work. If the lenses you have don't have an A setting there are some settings in the K-3 that have to be setup first.

Read this:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/58-troubleshooting-beginner-help/110658-u...x-dslrs-f.html

Last edited by photolady95; 05-25-2016 at 10:40 AM. Reason: Edited to add link to using some lenses
05-25-2016, 10:58 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Those are the same as the DAL 18-55 and the DAL 50-200mm, just rebadged.
05-25-2016, 11:07 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Those lenses will work (i used to own both of them). They are nothing more than rebadges of the Pentax DA 18-55 and 50-200 lenses. Same coatings, same optical formula, the only differences are cosmetic differences. They aren't the greatest lenses ever made (same is true of the Pentax versions), so if you can find a deal with the k-3 that offers a discount on say: the DA 16-85, DA 18-135, or the two plastic fantastic primes (the DA 35mm f2.4, or DA 50mm f1.8); you might want to take them up on their offer! I think most would recommend the 16-85 as the best, followed by the 18-135. If you want to get some improved image quality, and better low light performance, the two plastic primes are great!

The k-3 can often be found with the DA 18-55 WR, which is optically the same as your zoom, but also includes some weather sealing. for the weather sealing alone it's worth it, but only if you have decided to NOT go for one of the other two zooms.

05-25-2016, 11:38 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robthebloke Quote
Those lenses will work (i used to own both of them). They are nothing more than rebadges of the Pentax DA 18-55 and 50-200 lenses. Same coatings, same optical formula, the only differences are cosmetic differences. They aren't the greatest lenses ever made (same is true of the Pentax versions), so if you can find a deal with the k-3 that offers a discount on say: the DA 16-85, DA 18-135, or the two plastic fantastic primes (the DA 35mm f2.4, or DA 50mm f1.8); you might want to take them up on their offer! I think most would recommend the 16-85 as the best, followed by the 18-135. If you want to get some improved image quality, and better low light performance, the two plastic primes are great!

The k-3 can often be found with the DA 18-55 WR, which is optically the same as your zoom, but also includes some weather sealing. for the weather sealing alone it's worth it, but only if you have decided to NOT go for one of the other two zooms.
There are 4 or more versions of the 18-55. The version the OP has is identical to the original 18-55. That version was replaced with the 18-55 series II and the subsequent versions including the WR are all based on that newer lens which is slightly improved over the 18-55 branded as a Samsung lens.

I will also say that despite that faint praise the lenses perform better than expected. If you can stop down to f/8 or so both lenses are going to produce good pictures. Below that the quality varies but it is still not going to be bad 99% of the time.

As indicated the 18-135, 16-85, etc. will give you better results potential but it is worth experimenting with what you have before jumping to a new lens if you aren't sure what you want yet.

The K-3 is a remarkable camera - I own one and it is astonishingly good.
05-25-2016, 12:48 PM   #6

Original Poster
Many thanks to all of you for your help. I will look for offers on a K3 as suggested but hang on to the two lenses I have and give them a try before going too much further. I will probably look for a good prime lens also.

Another question: I hear mixed views of the video performance of the K3. I note that it has an external mic socket which makes it attractive for me. Any issues that one should be aware of before considering this camera as an occasional video recorder?

Thanks again.
05-25-2016, 01:51 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Gravity Quote
Many thanks to all of you for your help. I will look for offers on a K3 as suggested but hang on to the two lenses I have and give them a try before going too much further. I will probably look for a good prime lens also.

Another question: I hear mixed views of the video performance of the K3. I note that it has an external mic socket which makes it attractive for me. Any issues that one should be aware of before considering this camera as an occasional video recorder?

Thanks again.
Pentax K-3 Review - Movie/Video Mode | PentaxForums.com Reviews

05-25-2016, 02:07 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Gravity Quote
made by Schneider. Both produce decent quality images although perhaps not up to Pentax standards
- ??

Schneider Kreuznach (the real company name is way longer) is nowadays not much in camera lens production (except some very special, extremely expensive lenses), but belongs to the most famous lens manufacturers worldwide.
Presently their lens production is more focused on industrial and scientific applications, but they are strong on this field.

In the past, companies like Kodak and most of the then many smaller german camera manufacturers offered their top models with Schneider-Kreuznach or Zeiss lenses. Lens names like Xenon, Xenar, and the like were well known. And they were also one of the leading producers of optical darkroom equipment.
05-25-2016, 02:11 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RKKS08 Quote
- ??

Schneider Kreuznach (the real company name is way longer) is nowadays not much in camera lens production (except some very special, extremely expensive lenses), but belongs to the most famous lens manufacturers worldwide.
Presently their lens production is more focused on industrial and scientific applications, but they are strong on this field.

In the past, companies like Kodak and most of the then many smaller german camera manufacturers offered their top models with Schneider-Kreuznach or Zeiss lenses. Lens names like Xenon, Xenar, and the like were well known. And they were also one of the leading producers of optical darkroom equipment.
Schneider-Kreuznach (Samsung) 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 D-Xenon Lens Reviews - Schneider-Kreuznach Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

Like you said, they aren't really Schneider except in name.
These are Pentax with a different branding.
05-25-2016, 02:16 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RKKS08 Quote
- ??

The lenses in question look mightily familiar to existing Pentax lenses. I somehow suspect that Schneider Kreuznach had nothing to do with their manufacture....

Schneider-Kreuznach Lenses for Pentax: Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database
05-25-2016, 04:15 PM   #11

The Samsung K-mount DSLRs the GX-10 and GX-20 were licensed from Pentax and are more or less equivalent to the Pentax K10D and K20D, respectively.
05-25-2016, 11:43 PM   #12

Original Poster
Excellent: thank you. That review is most helpful.