Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-25-2016, 04:04 PM   #1
Forum Member

Pentax K1 and PEF

With the Pentax K1, how do I set the camera to record PEF format for Pixel-Shift rather than DNG?

Also, am using Lightroom CC. Will this software just recognize the PEF format?

Thanks for any help.

05-25-2016, 04:10 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MichaelErlewine Quote
With the Pentax K1, how do I set the camera to record PEF format for Pixel-Shift rather than DNG?
The file type should follow what you have set for the camera (capture menu/Image Capture Settings/File type).

Also, am using Lightroom CC. Will this software just recognize the PEF format?
The current version of both LR CC and LR 6 are supposed to offer K-1 PEF support.

Steve
05-25-2016, 05:33 PM   #3
Veteran Member

ACR/Lightroom does support Pixel-Shift, but with a caveat or two. I don't have any way to verify, I'm just going by what I've read here:

diglloyd: Pentax K1 SuperRes Res Mode: Adobe Camera Raw 'Veiling Blue Haze' Bug Occurs with DNG Format but not with PEF Format

diglloyd: Pentax K1 Super Resolution Mode has Color Problems, Definitely an Adobe Camera Raw BUG ? 2nd Example
05-25-2016, 06:31 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote

The file type should follow what you have set for the camera (capture menu/Image Capture Settings/File type).

Steve

I guess my question is how do I dictate PEF and not DNG, since the DNG still has the blue-tinge problem?

05-25-2016, 08:33 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I guess my question is how do I dictate PEF and not DNG, since the DNG still has the blue-tinge problem?
You can select the file format in main menu as Steve indicated PEF is still the default.
05-25-2016, 10:23 PM   #6
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

What is the "blue tinge" problem, out of interest? My understanding was that DNG and PEF are absolutely interchangeable - is this not the case with pixel-shift images?
05-25-2016, 10:57 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
My understanding was that DNG and PEF are absolutely interchangeable - is this not the case with pixel-shift images?
That is my understanding as well, regarding DNG and PEF. The image data are the same, it is the packaging that is different and even then both types are TIFF-compliant. As for pixel shift, the four exposures exist as four fully complete DNG or PEF (depending on the parent type) within a single DNG/PEF. Each may be extracted and processed separately if desired. I have done it I don't know about the DNG blue-tint problem.

Steve

05-26-2016, 11:32 PM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
It is an Adobe Camera Raw problem:

diglloyd: Pentax K1 SuperRes Res Mode: Adobe Camera Raw 'Veiling Blue Haze' Bug Occurs with DNG Format but not with PEF Format
05-27-2016, 10:55 AM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Yes...The article is in regards to the pixel shift feature and problems with Adobe processing. Lloyd did his PEF work using Pentax DCU software and used DNG with ACR. (Adobe does not yet offer K-1 PEF support.) The issue is Adobe support for K-1 pixel shift.

Translation? Don't use Adobe ACR/Lightroom for pixel-shift RAW processing.

Steve
05-27-2016, 11:03 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Yes...The article is in regards to the pixel shift feature and problems with Adobe processing. Lloyd did his PEF work using Pentax DCU software and used DNG with ACR. (Adobe does not yet offer K-1 PEF support.) The issue is Adobe support for K-1 pixel shift.

Translation? Don't use Adobe ACR/Lightroom for pixel-shift RAW processing.

Steve
Or just try it since you've got it. It's pretty obvious when you've got the "blues." And it doesn't happen on all images, supposedly. There are examples in some threads around here; I posed a couple of screen shots somewhere. Note that the problem was in Adobe's processing of the DNG, apparently not the DNG itself, since FastRawViewer rendered it OK, as does PDCU.
05-27-2016, 11:21 AM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Oakland Rob Quote
Or just try it since you've got it.
Makes sense and it also makes sense to give PDCU a try too since it ships with the camera.

QuoteOriginally posted by Oakland Rob Quote
Note that the problem was in Adobe's processing of the DNG, apparently not the DNG itself, since FastRawViewer rendered it OK, as does PDCU.
Agreed. There are no known quality differences (including pixel shift) for PEF vs. DNG when using programs capable of working with both file types.

Steve