Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-04-2016, 10:27 AM - 1 Like   #106
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I read the post above 3 times and I am still not sure but I think you are saying you are holding off and possibly investing in gear later for event shooting. Correct?

Why 6mp? The KS-2 can do 20 - was there a particular reason to hold it 6?

06-04-2016, 10:33 AM - 1 Like   #107
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Oldbayrunner Quote
Anyone with an understanding of reach knows better than that. Now if you were talking about cropped image resolution loss when reducing the image size of a full frame image to that of an Aps-c image then that I would agree the more MPs provided is of great importance and your mathematics is spot on comparing the K3 24mp to the cropped 16mp K1 image.
The simple fact is, the term "reach" is not scientifically defined so it's pointless debating it. People are free to define it however they want. Anyone who uses the term to try and define an argument is an idiot. Nuf said. You're stupid if you say APS-c gives you the same reach, you're stupid if you say APS-c gives you more. Because of the nebulous definition of the term, both things are true. Discuss magnification, there will be no confusion. And all the dubious misleading arguments disappear.

Simple fact…. on a sensor sample from slightly larger than and APS_c footprint, a K-3 gives you more subject magnification than a K-1 using the same lens. There is simply no argument against this. It's an absolute fact. The rest of this is semantical nonsense. Your image will appear larger on your screen than an image taken with a K-1 and it will have 33% more resolution.

Talk about subject resolution. Talking about total image resolution sonly relevant if you can use the total image, great for landscape, wildlife usually involves some cropping.

As I said, if we were talking about a 51 MP Canon, this wouldn't be true. If we were talking about a 6MP *ist it wouldn't be true. Forget the hogwash and nonsense. Stick to what's true. Anyone who's gone from a K-5 (same pixel density as a K-1 in crop mode), and a K-3 knows this.
The term "reach" is photographic techno babble, that the way it's normally applied is not relevant to cross-format discussion. Unless one understands the limitations of the term, one really has no business using it.

Last edited by normhead; 06-04-2016 at 11:11 AM.
06-04-2016, 10:45 AM   #108
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I read the post above 3 times and I am still not sure but I think you are saying you are holding off and possibly investing in gear later for event shooting. Correct?

Why 6mp? The KS-2 can do 20 - was there a particular reason to hold it 6?
No, I meant to say I am going for K-3ii for now, invest in a good quality wide angle that has been suggested to me on these pages that works well with K-1 too, and will wait around November-December for K-1. My K-r and K-5iis will get passed on to my son or any young generation in my siblings who would like to have a go at them :-)

I used 6MP for both K-5iis (wildlife) and K-S2 (landscape, macro, family and friends' events) for no good reason. I was just trying to save on memory card space. But as I am moving to going long distances for observing wildlife (rain forests, gray wolves in Yellowstone NP, wildlife of northern Pakistan, etc.), I am trying to expand my technical skills in photography as well.

I would like to carry back-up cameras as I have lost many of my Pentax cameras on kayaking, canoeing, and white water rafting excursions. I have also been robbed of my camera and equipment at gun point in one country hahaha. Luckily, I had my other camera back at hotel.
06-04-2016, 11:59 AM - 1 Like   #109
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Suhail Quote
No, I meant to say I am going for K-3ii for now, invest in a good quality wide angle that has been suggested to me on these pages that works well with K-1 too, and will wait around November-December for K-1. My K-r and K-5iis will get passed on to my son or any young generation in my siblings who would like to have a go at them :-)
Great plan!

I used 6MP for both K-5iis (wildlife) and K-S2 (landscape, macro, family and friends' events) for no good reason. I was just trying to save on memory card space. But as I am moving to going long distances for observing wildlife (rain forests, gray wolves in Yellowstone NP, wildlife of northern Pakistan, etc.), I am trying to expand my technical skills in photography as well.
Personally I think memory card space is CHEAP. Buy big one's and don't look back. I shoot in RAW and JPG simultaneously to two separate cards. Then once you know you don't need the greater size if you want you can downsize it. But if you crop or otherwise need extra resolution - you have it. Storage is cheap these days.

I would like to carry back-up cameras as I have lost many of my Pentax cameras on kayaking, canoeing, and white water rafting excursions. I have also been robbed of my camera and equipment at gun point in one country hahaha. Luckily, I had my other camera back at hotel.
If I might suggest you might want to get a dry bag (if you don't already have one) and tie it to a float for those water adventures when the camera is put up and needs protection. As for a backup body - I would personally only carry a small P&S or Mirrorless as the backup while out and about. For me that would be the Panasonic LX7. The Pentax MX-1 is another good option albeit a bit larger. Keeping a backup body at home for when you return with your equipment lost seems prudent.

06-04-2016, 02:23 PM   #110
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
UncleVanya,

Storage is cheap clicks with me and I will be all over it now :-) Got to buy lots of it.

That dry bag idea is awesome. I can keep my second camera and lens in it. At least for nature photography during canoeing I can keep one in my hand ha-ha.
06-04-2016, 02:26 PM - 1 Like   #111
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

UncleVanya,

Storage is cheap clicks with me and I will be all over it now :-) Got to buy lots of it.

That dry bag idea is awesome. I can keep my second camera and lens in it. At least for nature photography during canoeing I can keep one in my hand ha-ha.
Shooting in the best resolution you have is the best benefit - you can crop a lot more from 24MP than 6. You may end up at 6mp but so what if you get the shot you want and the print/view of it is sufficient for your needs.

Glad I could help. Enjoy the trail!
06-05-2016, 09:42 AM - 1 Like   #112
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Nice wildlife shots. Definitely try the higher resolution; it's often hard to fill the frame with a critter so having some leeway to crop is great.

BTW, looks like you're hiking with a polar bear...where's the dog?

06-05-2016, 09:58 AM   #113
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Oakland Rob Quote
Nice wildlife shots. Definitely try the higher resolution; it's often hard to fill the frame with a critter so having some leeway to crop is great.

BTW, looks like you're hiking with a polar bear...where's the dog?
Oakland Rob,

LOL!

Regards,

Suhail
06-05-2016, 05:38 PM   #114
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
As for a backup body - I would personally only carry a small P&S or Mirrorless as the backup while out and about. For me that would be the Panasonic LX7. The Pentax MX-1 is another good option albeit a bit larger. Keeping a backup body at home for when you return with your equipment lost seems prudent.
My backup is a Q-7, which has the advantage of having controls virtually identical to my primary DSLR.
06-05-2016, 06:15 PM   #115
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
My backup is a Q-7, which has the advantage of having controls virtually identical to my primary DSLR.
Excellent point.
06-06-2016, 10:18 AM   #116
Veteran Member

.... But as I am moving to going long distances for observing wildlife (rain forests, gray wolves in Yellowstone NP, wildlife of northern Pakistan, etc.), I am trying to expand my technical skills in photography as well.

Based on the few pictures you took I'd say you already have some formidable skills. Keep up the good work and you'll make out very well with the K-3 II. Technique aside, it sounds like you'll have more awesome subjects in the future as well! (I haven't had much time to visit new places recently and pictures of neighbors gardens on my daily walk around the block are getting a bit redundant.)
06-06-2016, 08:25 PM   #117
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TheOneAndOnlyJH Quote
Based on the few pictures you took I'd say you already have some formidable skills. Keep up the good work and you'll make out very well with the K-3 II. Technique aside, it sounds like you'll have more awesome subjects in the future as well! (I haven't had much time to visit new places recently and pictures of neighbors gardens on my daily walk around the block are getting a bit redundant.)
Thank you and neighbors' gardens in my neighborhood have offered some good bird photography too :-)
03-17-2017, 03:25 AM - 1 Like   #118

Resolution versus Pixel Count

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
We've been through this before. Let's say you take a picture of a bird. If the image completely fills the frame on a K-3ii, then the K-3ii puts 24MP on the bird. Using exactly the same lens from exactly the same spot at exactly the same time, the bird will take up 2/3-rd the width and 2/3-rd the height of the sensor on the K-1, so the K-1 puts (2/3)*(2/3)*36 = 16MP on the bird.
If only resolution was entirely defined by the number of pixels - even assuming that the lens resolution exceeds that of the sensor. Small pixels also bleed into adjacent pixels so that actual resolution is reduced and the K3 sensor has a smaller centre-centre distance for its pixels than the K-1. This is also why istD 6MP cameras still produce exceptional results with there big pixels and low pixel bleed. I won't debate which is better, but you do need to consider actual measured resolution not just counting pixels. And that leads to the question of what lens you are using because unless you hare investing in DA*/FA* lenses that may well be the limiting factor - after all lens resolution comparison tests are done using a 12 or 16MP camera so that obviously isn't the limiting factor.