Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-25-2016, 05:51 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Shoudl I buy a K 1, K 3ii, or invest in a lens

Hi,

I own a K-5IIs, a K-S2, and a K-r for back-up usually left at home. I keep a 300 mm lens over K-5IIs all the time for wildlife photography, and use either a 100mm/F2 macro or a 18-135 mm for nature (flowers and landscapes with my dog in it) photography on K-S2.

Reading about K-1 and K-3ii on the web, I am salivating. Given my interest of wildlife and nature photography, should I buy a K-1 or K-3ii or perhaps invest in a good quality wide angle zoom lens for landscapes.

I bought my Pentax DA* 300 mm and Pentax 100 mm macro after seeking advice on these forums and I have not been disappointed by these two. I thought it's about time I sought more advice.

I will be looking forward to hearing from you.

Regards,

Suhail

Last edited by Suhail; 06-04-2016 at 04:14 PM.
05-25-2016, 05:58 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Good question. I'm considering an upgrade from a K5II to probably a K3/K3II, but have not totally ruled out a K-1. Will be interested in seeing responses.
05-25-2016, 06:19 PM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Suhail Quote
Hi,

I own a K-5IIs, a K-S2, and a K-r for back-up usually left at home. I keep a 300 mm lens over K-5IIs all the time for wildlife photography, and use either a 100mm/F2 macro or a 18-135 mm for nature (flowers and landscapes with my dog in it) photography on K-S2.

Reading about K-1 and K-3ii on the web, I am salivating. Given my interest of wildlife and nature photography, should I buy a K-1 or K-3ii or perhaps invest in a good quality wide angle zoom lens for landscapes.

I bought my 300mm and 100mm after seeking advice on these forums and I have not been disappointed by these two. I thought it's about time I sought more advice.

Regards,

Suhail
You already have 2 quality bodies. You have a 300mm (450 on your crop) that will be shortened by the full frame K-1. I'm not sure you will gain as much of an advantage from a desirable lens as you will from another body (albeit, really nice body!). Should you choose to go with lenses make sure you buy full frame lenses and make sure when you buy a wide lens that it will be as wide as you want it to be when you eventually do go K1.
05-25-2016, 06:50 PM - 4 Likes   #4
Veteran Member

Buy a k-1. All this talk about the k-3 being better for birding is complete BS. On paper the pixel density of k-3 is better, in practice the k-1 destroys it. Buy a k-1.

I own both the DFA100, and the DA*300; as well as the k-3 and k-1. You may lose some reach with the 300 on the k-1, but when that bird comes close, pow pow pow! It nails it!

The DFA100 on the K-1, you can actually use AF for the closest reach macros, and it just nails it. Every time.

You will however miss that wider angle range - that 18-135 is not going to be ideal with the k-1. You could sell it and get the 28-105, whilst I've not used it myself, it looks to be pretty decent.

Last edited by robthebloke; 05-25-2016 at 06:58 PM.
05-25-2016, 07:06 PM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

My opinion for birding is the K3ii is fabulous. A full frame will only give you what the K5 is currently providing although the anti shake will be an improvement on the K1. On the other hand the K1 has the ability to give you your money's worth with macro photography if you already have the 100mm macro.
05-25-2016, 07:08 PM - 1 Like   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Considering that the K-5 gives you the same resolution as the K-1 in crop mode, it would make sense to get the K-1 for your wide-angle shots and to keep the K-5 for your tele shots, perhaps eventually replacing it with a K-3.

Full frame lets you take things to the next level when it comes to working in low light or cropping to bring out detail, so I'd strongly consider it. The 28-105mm is a solid lens with only vignetting being a key issue. It is much sharper than the 18-135mm.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-25-2016, 07:19 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have a lot of the same interests in wildlife and nature shooting but it will be a while before I am in the market for my next camera. But if it were right now I would have the same dilemma between the K-1 and K-3ii. If I could afford either I would take the K-1 for the increased frame size. It does not shorten your 300, rather increases the canvas size. But I would be very happy with that K-3ii also, and could buy two of them for the price of one K-1.

Or how about a K-3ii and an HD Pentax-DA 1.4x AW AF Rear Converter? Or an HD Pentax-D FA 150-450mm F4.5-5.6 ED DC AW?

Or the three wider DFA zooms, 15-30, 24-70, and 28-105 are all promising for landscapes. As are plenty of primes, and the DA 12-24 and 10-17 fisheye.

Good luck in whatever choice you make.

05-25-2016, 07:19 PM - 6 Likes   #8
Pentaxian

I'm planning on a K-1 for my next purchase, but I don't plan to use it for birding. I'll keep the K-3 for that.

If I'm birding... I'm not giving this up.

Nothing I've seen from a K-1 to date has changed my mind.
05-25-2016, 07:40 PM - 1 Like   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi,

I bought my 300mm and 100mm after seeking advice on these forums and I have not been disappointed by these two. I thought it's about time I sought more advice.

Regards,

Suhail
Can you more clearly define wildlife and nature photography? Is this moving animals in both cases or is the nature part landscapes at all? For landscapes the K-1 will be a dream once you have some FF wide angle lenses. The K-3ii with pixel shift will greatly enhance over the K-5iis but the K-1 will do even more of this. The K-3ii will give you the highest pixel density for you DA* 300 shots but the K-1 gives an overall cropped view similar to the K-5 so it isn't as though you would lose resolution on cropping to speak of vs. what you have now. The K-1 offers some advantages in low light and noise.

But if all you shoot is moving critters - then the K-3ii offers a superior frame rate and a slightly higher pixel count in the cropped area (24mp vs. 15mp) that could make the difference in cropping to get the shot. It has been so long since I shot full frame so I'm am not certain how the two really compare and I would advise you to try one or both before making the plunge. Maybe you can find a local pentaxian with a K-1 or rent one.
05-25-2016, 07:48 PM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

Don't worry norm, you will change your mind. I'm no birder, but when I say the k-1 is better for birding, I do honestly mean that. I'm hoping Rupert will be along with a squirrel shortly. I've been reading through a lot of his comments regarding chasing squirrels with a high ISO, and my experiences match those completely. I'm sure once you have the camera in your hands, and can get a decent play with it, your k-1 isn't for birding stance will change
05-25-2016, 07:53 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by th1952 Quote
Good question. I'm considering an upgrade from a K5II to probably a K3/K3II, but have not totally ruled out a K-1. Will be interested in seeing responses.
I think great advice has come in already :-)

---------- Post added 05-25-16 at 10:55 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistlefoot Quote
You already have 2 quality bodies.... make sure when you buy a wide lens that it will be as wide as you want it to be when you eventually do go K1.
It means if I invest in K-1, I will have to invest in compatible FF lenses as well.

Regards,

Suhail

---------- Post added 05-25-16 at 10:57 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by robthebloke Quote
Buy a k-1. All this talk about the k-3 being better for birding is complete BS. On paper the pixel density of k-3 is better, in practice the k-1 destroys it. Buy a k-1......... You could sell it and get the 28-105, whilst I've not used it myself, it looks to be pretty decent.
Thanks for the advice. Those images are super-mega-awesome!

Suhail

---------- Post added 05-25-16 at 10:59 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob from Aus Quote
My opinion for birding is the K3ii is fabulous. .....On the other hand the K1 has the ability to give you your money's worth with macro photography if you already have the 100mm macro.
So I can keep K-5IIs for telephoto shots and go for a K-1 with the macro and the widest sharp wide angle zoom possible?

Suhail

---------- Post added 05-25-16 at 11:07 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Considering that the K-5 gives you the same resolution as the K-1 in crop mode, ......... It is much sharper than the 18-135mm.
Adam,

So then buying a K-1 for (1) macro-photography and (2) sharpest wide-angle zoom available for landscapes will make sense.

I can find the best quality wide-angle zoom lens (affordable :-)) from the lens review section.

Btw, I am not sure why it is like that K-3ii is cheaper than K-3 on amazon.ca and latter is not even available at Henry's in Canada.

Regards,

Suhail
05-25-2016, 08:20 PM - 1 Like   #12
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I think great advice has come in already :-)

---------- Post added 05-25-16 at 10:55 PM ----------

It means if I invest in K-1, I will have to invest in compatible FF lenses as well.

Regards,

Suhail

---------- Post added 05-25-16 at 10:57 PM ----------

Thanks for the advice. Those images are super-mega-awesome!

Suhail

---------- Post added 05-25-16 at 10:59 PM ----------

So I can keep K-5IIs for telephoto shots and go for a K-1 with the macro and the widest sharp wide angle zoom possible?

Suhail

---------- Post added 05-25-16 at 11:07 PM ----------

Adam,

So then buying a K-1 for (1) macro-photography and (2) sharpest wide-angle zoom available for landscapes will make sense.

I can find the best quality wide-angle zoom lens (affordable :-)) from the lens review section.

Btw, I am not sure why it is like that K-3ii is cheaper than K-3 on amazon.ca and latter is not even available at Henry's in Canada.

Regards,

Suhail
Probably because the K-3 is out of production, and existing stock might be running low.

There are many solid wide prime options for the K-1. The FA35mm would be a good starter lens.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-25-2016, 08:27 PM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

I have the K-5IIS and the K-3II. The K-5IIS is an excellent performer. The detail and color in the images is amazing, and the images keep their composure at reasonably higher ISOs. I bought the K-3II and it brings detail and AF to an even more advanced level. The tracking ability of the K-3II for birds in flight is is excellent, giving almost one keeper after another in reasonable conditions. The detail that the 24 mp delivers is very noticeable and does provide a croppable image in cases where the image is at a distance. So I see the K-3II as a step up from the excellent for its time K-5IIS. I use my K-3II/Sigma 150-500 for birding/sports/wildlife and my K-5IIS/Pentax 16-85 for landscape/foliage/portrait use.

The K-3II is really a worthy, high performance investment for aps-c shooting, and you would definitely notice it is more advanced than its K-5IIS predecessor relative. What would happen if you got the K-1, which I do not have, is you will have the option of shooting in full frame mode with 36 mp which neither the K-5IiS or K-3II will. That is the main point of the K-1, and the 36 mp allows for croppability. The aps-c option is there on the K-1, but then that brings you back to the 16 mp, which will deliver as good or most likely better image quality than the K-5IIS with the accompaniment of the newer AF. It really is a matter of if you want the 36 mp which is almost super croppable compared to the K-5IIS or K-3II, or the K-3II which will give you straight 24 mp aps-c telephoto performance. I just got my K-3II last October, and it is great, so I am set up very well for now, but I look at the K-1 as an option for the 36 mp to accompany possibly a Pentax 70-200 and/or some other Pentax lens in the future if I may need it.

Last edited by C_Jones; 05-25-2016 at 08:40 PM.
05-25-2016, 09:05 PM - 1 Like   #14

The K-1 makes sense for someone who is already heavily invested in a collection of (likely older) Pentax "full-frame" lenses. Sounds like you have mainly DA glass so you'd be shooting the K-1 in crippled (i.e. cropped) mode mostly so there seems little advantage to getting one. You could but several APS-C bodies and/or lenses for the current cost of the K-1. The most dramatic different would be seen using wider angle lenses on the K-1.
05-25-2016, 09:30 PM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by robthebloke Quote
Buy a k-1. All this talk about the k-3 being better for birding is complete BS. On paper the pixel density of k-3 is better, in practice the k-1 destroys it. Buy a k-1.

I own both the DFA100, and the DA*300; as well as the k-3 and k-1. You may lose some reach with the 300 on the k-1, but when that bird comes close, pow pow pow! It nails it!

The DFA100 on the K-1, you can actually use AF for the closest reach macros, and it just nails it. Every time.

You will however miss that wider angle range - that 18-135 is not going to be ideal with the k-1. You could sell it and get the 28-105, whilst I've not used it myself, it looks to be pretty decent.

Nice shots.