Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-26-2016, 12:59 PM   #1
Forum Member

Does anyone make this? (rubber O ring for body)

I'm talking about an 'O' ring that looks like it would fit between a lens mount and the body. I recently purchased a Sigma 18-300mm, that so far is excellent(tight on the zoom function), but it looks like you can put an O ring between the lens and the body. This may not make it waterproof, but looks like it would help. has anyone ever done this? thanks

05-26-2016, 01:03 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Not sure where you live, but and hardware store should have a a collection of o-rings.
05-26-2016, 01:27 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by fstop18 Quote
I'm talking about an 'O' ring that looks like it would fit between a lens mount and the body. I recently purchased a Sigma 18-300mm, that so far is excellent(tight on the zoom function), but it looks like you can put an O ring between the lens and the body. This may not make it waterproof, but looks like it would help. has anyone ever done this? thanks
Are you seeing light leaks? The reason I ask is that I have a Tokina that looks a little "unfinished" but it works well with no problems.

This is not a great pic but you can see the shiny silver showing while the lens is mounted.

Last edited by TomTom; 05-26-2016 at 01:31 PM. Reason: pic link fixed
05-26-2016, 01:34 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

You could use a rubber band or O ring to help to keep excess dust out, but if you want to keep water out, well, you need a WR lens and body in the first place.

There was a kickstarter for a gasket a while back for Canon, but the reviews for it were pretty spectacularly lousy and again, it only really would have helped with dust, not water
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/77243737/dust-donuttm-add-a-weather-sea...he-mount-of-an

05-26-2016, 10:24 PM   #5
Pentaxian

I also had a Sigma lens which had a gap, or better say, a bigger distance on the bayonet. It was working well, but the lens had a little play. I have used a very thin sheet of metal to cover the gap.
05-26-2016, 11:52 PM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
Not sure where you live, but and hardware store should have a a collection of o-rings.
The best place (at least in Oz) to get O-rings is at a bearing supplier.
05-27-2016, 08:00 AM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
thanks folks, mine does have the 'unfinished look' like TomTom mentioned. There is really no mechanical problem, just for the look.
05-28-2016, 08:03 AM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
I went to a marine/auto parts store & found a package of various O rings. One of them seems to be a good fit and does the job I want. (a real custom job ehh?) thanks again