Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-27-2016, 07:12 AM   #1

Transitioning from film to digital

Hello everyone,

My first post here as a registered user, have been coming on here frequently already though.

About half a year ago I got into film photography to test waters to see if photography was for me or not. My friend introduced me to film and I went out and bought a K1000, joining the Pentaxian minority.
After taking a shining to it, getting used to the basics and getting my head around the more technical aspects etc, I have found to really enjoy it.

I now want to get on the market over the next few months for a DSLR, for various reasons, including ease, costs of developing etc, but will still use the K1000 no doubt.

I want to ask opinions of the more experienced of which kind of camera I should get, I'll try and list what specs I'm after below:

- The majority of shots I take are portraits and landscapes of mainly architecture and places I visit on holiday, and also friends etc.
- I'm not really interested in taking sports shots, so I don't think fast FPS will be necessary.
- I would really enjoy possibly taking videos in future, especially in slow motion for visuals, I think this is done by filming at 60fps and then slowing down? Which would require something that could preferably film at that frame rate.
- I would preferably budget to £250-350/$350-500, but could go higher if it's worth it.

I have been looking at the K5II vs the KS2 (KS2 for video reasons, with K5II being more of an older, higher end camera from what I can understand), but quite often trying to research, I'm left undecided with more questions.
I currently own a Sigma UC 28-70 and am in the process of buying a SMC-M f/1.4 50mm, but I think it would be best to get a decent zoom that supports AF for getting used to etc.

I really appreciate any opinions and help with this!

Also, if anyone has any equipment they are willing to sell that fits the specs, please let me know! I live in London by the way, so Europe/UK would be easiest.

Thanks,
Marijn

05-27-2016, 07:55 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
You have to take into account that 28-70 lens will have an equivalent field of view of a 42-105 lens on your K1000 (Unless you buy a K-1). Easily solved by getting the kit lens (18-55) with the camera. Pentax is not the best brand for Video. It's an extra and not a priority in camera design you will get maximally 1280*720 (720p) 60p video. Higher res is 30p. (Better of with a Gopro ). For video mirrorless is probably the way to go.
05-27-2016, 08:08 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The DA 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 WR is a good single-lens solution for travel photography when reach is paramount. I own it and like it. It is not the absolute best of which Pentax is capable, but it is a very competent lens, and if you live or travel anywhere where it rains a lot, a ubiquitous and affordable travel lens that you don't have to take off the camera on your travels can be worth the sacrifice in ultimate pin-sharp performance. It is sometimes included as part of a kit with Pentax DSLR bodies, and if so, is well worth getting as a package deal if you can afford it.

The DA 16-85 f/3.5-5.6, also WR, is from hearsay a good alternative when reaching out is not as important but wide field of view is (those two millimetres make a difference), and from everything I've heard may be a bit better optically (but is also more expensive). I considered it but rejected it because longer zoom was more important to me than wider zoom.

Pentax DSLRs are often found sold with an 18-50 or 18-55mm and 50-200mm two-lens set, which in its current form is weather-resistant. This two-lens set is an option I considered when looking for WR zoom lenses for my K-5, but then I figured that if I am actually taking pictures in light rain, swapping lenses is not something I want to be doing. Nevertheless, it would cover most of your needs in the early phase of getting used to DSLRs.

The kit lenses (DA L type) have a polycarbonate mount; there is an upscale version which has a metal mount. Opinions differ as to whether this matters. However, the DA L lenses lack quick-shift (the ability to make manual adjustments to focus without having to switch AF off on the camera body), which matters to some people when changing focus abruptly from near to far, or in low light where the camera might have trouble finding its focus point but can hold it OK when established.

Remember, too, that any lens you buy or have already bought for your K1000 will function on a Pentax DSLR.

The reverse is not always true - any lens AFTER the FA series will NOT work on a K1000 unless it's one of the earlier D-FA macro lenses (with an aperture ring, which the K1000 needs).
05-27-2016, 08:40 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
You have to take into account that 28-70 lens will have an equivalent field of view of a 42-105 lens on your K1000 (Unless you buy a K-1). Easily solved by getting the kit lens (18-55) with the camera. Pentax is not the best brand for Video. It's an extra and not a priority in camera design you will get maximally 1280*720 (720p) 60p video. Higher res is 30p. (Better of with a Gopro ). For video mirrorless is probably the way to go.
Thanks for the response,

Yeah, I thought it might be the case, in terms of video. To be honest, it's not a massive issue and I can do without, I care more about the photo capabilities currently.

---------- Post added 05-27-16 at 08:45 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
The DA 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 WR is a good single-lens solution for travel photography when reach is paramount. I own it and like it. It is not the absolute best of which Pentax is capable, but it is a very competent lens, and if you live or travel anywhere where it rains a lot, a ubiquitous and affordable travel lens that you don't have to take off the camera on your travels can be worth the sacrifice in ultimate pin-sharp performance. It is sometimes included as part of a kit with Pentax DSLR bodies, and if so, is well worth getting as a package deal if you can afford it.

The DA 16-85 f/3.5-5.6, also WR, is from hearsay a good alternative when reaching out is not as important but wide field of view is (those two millimetres make a difference), and from everything I've heard may be a bit better optically (but is also more expensive). I considered it but rejected it because longer zoom was more important to me than wider zoom.

Pentax DSLRs are often found sold with an 18-50 or 18-55mm and 50-200mm two-lens set, which in its current form is weather-resistant. This two-lens set is an option I considered when looking for WR zoom lenses for my K-5, but then I figured that if I am actually taking pictures in light rain, swapping lenses is not something I want to be doing. Nevertheless, it would cover most of your needs in the early phase of getting used to DSLRs.

The kit lenses (DA L type) have a polycarbonate mount; there is an upscale version which has a metal mount. Opinions differ as to whether this matters. However, the DA L lenses lack quick-shift (the ability to make manual adjustments to focus without having to switch AF off on the camera body), which matters to some people when changing focus abruptly from near to far, or in low light where the camera might have trouble finding its focus point but can hold it OK when established.

Remember, too, that any lens you buy or have already bought for your K1000 will function on a Pentax DSLR. How to use a manual lens (M, K, or M42) on a Pentax DSLR - YouTube

The reverse is not always true - any lens AFTER the FA series will NOT work on a K1000 unless it's one of the earlier D-FA macro lenses (with an aperture ring, which the K1000 needs).
Thank you Pathdoc,
This is really helpful.
I've been looking through the lens reviews on here to try and piece together which will be the best, but that's a massive help in the right direction. As D1N0 mentioned before, I will prefer to look for something wider to compensate sensor crop.
I've seen the 18-135 pop up a few times, will keep searching. Much appreciated!

05-27-2016, 09:29 AM   #5
Pentaxian

You're welcome. I shoot with both film AND digital (in fact I made a return to film this time last year), and many of my lenses see use on both.

QuoteOriginally posted by marijnvh Quote
I've seen the 18-135 pop up a few times
It's the rough equivalent in field of view terms of a 28-200mm lens on a film body, if that helps. The 16-85 would be equivalent to 24-125 or thereabouts.
05-27-2016, 12:21 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If the wide angle range is of real importance, I can highly recommend the DA 12-24 on digital. There are sample shots to be found on my Flickr link, and many others have used this lens as well.
05-27-2016, 01:01 PM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Hello everyone,

My first post here as a registered user, have been coming on here frequently already though.

About half a year ago I got into film photography to test waters to see if photography was for me or not. My friend introduced me to film and I went out and bought a K1000, joining the Pentaxian minority.
After taking a shining to it, getting used to the basics and getting my head around the more technical aspects etc, I have found to really enjoy it.

I now want to get on the market over the next few months for a DSLR, for various reasons, including ease, costs of developing etc, but will still use the K1000 no doubt.

I want to ask opinions of the more experienced of which kind of camera I should get, I'll try and list what specs I'm after below:

- The majority of shots I take are portraits and landscapes of mainly architecture and places I visit on holiday, and also friends etc.
- I'm not really interested in taking sports shots, so I don't think fast FPS will be necessary.
- I would really enjoy possibly taking videos in future, especially in slow motion for visuals, I think this is done by filming at 60fps and then slowing down? Which would require something that could preferably film at that frame rate.
- I would preferably budget to £250-350/$350-500, but could go higher if it's worth it.

I have been looking at the K5II vs the KS2 (KS2 for video reasons, with K5II being more of an older, higher end camera from what I can understand), but quite often trying to research, I'm left undecided with more questions.
I currently own a Sigma UC 28-70 and am in the process of buying a SMC-M f/1.4 50mm, but I think it would be best to get a decent zoom that supports AF for getting used to etc.

I really appreciate any opinions and help with this!

Also, if anyone has any equipment they are willing to sell that fits the specs, please let me know! I live in London by the way, so Europe/UK would be easiest.

Thanks,
Marijn
Check out the marketplace for current second-hand listings. There's an option to filter by shipping destination, among other things:
The Pentax Marketplace | Buy & Sell Pentax and Photo Equipment - PentaxForums.com

The DA 18-135mm is an excellent walkaround lens, but at your budget you'll probably want to start with the DA 18-55mm for now. As for the camera body, I would recommend the K-S2 at this point as it's a bit more user-friendly and has a number of newer features which the K-5 lacks. Most notably, it has focus peaking, which highlights objects that are in focus and thus makes focusing with manual lenses much easier while in live view mode.

Note that since these cameras all have APS-C sized sensors, the field of view with the same lenses you've been using will be 1.5x narrower. To achieve the same angle of view on the K-S2 as a 50mm lens on the K1000, you'd need a 35mm lens (50/1.5 = 33.3 to be exact).

If you were to get the Pentax K-1 (or a future full-frame body) later on, it would deliver the same angle of view as your K1000. Of course, I'm going to take the opportunity to say that's it's an amazing camera

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-27-2016, 01:18 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Portrait work isn't that demanding (camera wise), same with landscape. Used prices are crazy low for K-5, K-5ii, and K-5iis. The KS2 can be had for a similar price but NEW.

I am thinking the KS2 would be best for your $. You get a great camera at an extremely affordable cost. Step up to the K-3 series or K-1 later on if you love digital. You may prefer film!

IF you are going to continue with film, buy some vintage glass that will work across platforms for you. I suggest a SMC A or M 28mm, a SMC A or M 50mm 1.7, and a SMC A or M 135mm.

If you really just want AF and performance, the 18-135 and the 18-55 are great for their cost. If you can stretch that a bit, look at the 16-85, 20-40mm limited, or 17-50mm f2.8 tamron / sigma.

NOTE: I love love love the Sigma 17-50mm 2.8. You can find that all day long for $300. The tamron 17-50 performs almost the same and is about $220-250 used. You get a great zoom, fantastic quality, and bright aperture. No WR on these lenses, so you may need to consider that.
05-27-2016, 05:59 PM   #9
Veteran Member

The new K-1 is far outside your budget. A K-5iis or K-3 will serve you more than "well enough". I shoot digital and film, but over the past few years, once again, more and more film. IMO either of those will be more than you might need. And, with the K-1 out, will easier to obtain more cheaply.
05-28-2016, 04:49 AM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Blacknight659 Quote
Portrait work isn't that demanding (camera wise), same with landscape. Used prices are crazy low for K-5, K-5ii, and K-5iis. The KS2 can be had for a similar price but NEW.

I am thinking the KS2 would be best for your $. You get a great camera at an extremely affordable cost. Step up to the K-3 series or K-1 later on if you love digital. You may prefer film!

IF you are going to continue with film, buy some vintage glass that will work across platforms for you. I suggest a SMC A or M 28mm, a SMC A or M 50mm 1.7, and a SMC A or M 135mm.

If you really just want AF and performance, the 18-135 and the 18-55 are great for their cost. If you can stretch that a bit, look at the 16-85, 20-40mm limited, or 17-50mm f2.8 tamron / sigma.

NOTE: I love love love the Sigma 17-50mm 2.8. You can find that all day long for $300. The tamron 17-50 performs almost the same and is about $220-250 used. You get a great zoom, fantastic quality, and bright aperture. No WR on these lenses, so you may need to consider that.
Thanks Adam, will check the marketplace.

In terms of the lenses, yeah, it seems to be that the 18-55 is more in my budget zone. Hopefully I can find a body with this lens.

Looking at the KS2 and K5II, what would be the pros/cons for either?
05-28-2016, 04:51 AM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Blacknight659 Quote

Thank you Blacknight
I'll look into the Sigma/Tamron lenses, they are definitely more in my price range.
What would you say the benefit is for having a KS2 over a K5II?

---------- Post added 05-28-16 at 05:14 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Check out the marketplace for current second-hand listings. There's an option to filter by shipping destination, among other things:
The Pentax Marketplace | Buy & Sell Pentax and Photo Equipment - PentaxForums.com

The DA 18-135mm is an excellent walkaround lens, but at your budget you'll probably want to start with the DA 18-55mm for now. As for the camera body, I would recommend the K-S2 at this point as it's a bit more user-friendly and has a number of newer features which the K-5 lacks. Most notably, it has focus peaking, which highlights objects that are in focus and thus makes focusing with manual lenses much easier while in live view mode.

Note that since these cameras all have APS-C sized sensors, the field of view with the same lenses you've been using will be 1.5x narrower. To achieve the same angle of view on the K-S2 as a 50mm lens on the K1000, you'd need a 35mm lens (50/1.5 = 33.3 to be exact).

If you were to get the Pentax K-1 (or a future full-frame body) later on, it would deliver the same angle of view as your K1000. Of course, I'm going to take the opportunity to say that's it's an amazing camera
Hi Adam,

I'm also looking at the K50, which would leave me with some spare cash to look at getting a decent lens. What would your thoughts be one that?
05-28-2016, 06:16 AM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The KS-2 has an articulating back lcd which earlier camera's lack. It has a bit more megapixels (20 vs 16 in the K-50 K-5 (II(s)). It lacks an anti-aliassing filter giving sharper photo's. Anti aliassing kan be achieved when needed using the sensor shake mechanism. It has built in wifi for picture transfer. It is of course more expensive than the K-50. It lacks the possibility to use AA batteries the K-50 has (so less shots per charge possible due to smaller battery than the K-5 or k-50 with AA's) But it is a lighter slightly more compact camera than the K-5 II. It lacks the top LCD only the flagship models K-5 K-3 K-1 have. You can't use a grip on the Ks-2 or the K-50, you can on the K-5 II. K5 II also has 14 bit raw, the K-50 and K-2 12 bit. This results in better dynamic range for the K-5 II.
05-28-2016, 06:36 AM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
The KS-2 has an articulating back lcd which earlier camera's lack. It has a bit more megapixels (20 vs 16 in the K-50 K-5 (II(s)). It lacks an anti-aliassing filter giving sharper photo's. Anti aliassing kan be achieved when needed using the sensor shake mechanism. It has built in wifi for picture transfer. It is of course more expensive than the K-50. It lacks the possibility to use AA batteries the K-50 has (so less shots per charge possible due to smaller battery than the K-5 or k-50 with AA's) But it is a lighter slightly more compact camera than the K-5 II. It lacks the top LCD only the flagship models K-5 K-3 K-1 have. You can't use a grip on the Ks-2 or the K-50, you can on the K-5 II. K5 II also has 14 bit raw, the K-50 and K-2 12 bit. This results in better dynamic range for the K-5 II.
Thanks,

Sounds like the K5II is a slightly older-higher end camera, with the KS2 being more updates.
I think I'd hugely appreciate the top LCD a lot, being used to doing the similar notion when shooting with a film camera, which makes the K5 sound more of a fit for me.
I'm not too fussed about the articulating LCD, never had a moment where I thought that something like that would come in super handy (yet!)
Higher dynamic range is also a plus.

Appreciate the help with this, it has clarified a lot

---------- Post added 05-28-16 at 07:01 AM ----------

I found a K5 with the DA 18-55 used in decent condition with about 5,000 actuations for ~£250/$365, seems like a decent deal.

Would it be worth getting the K5II/s? Seems that the major step up is AF in low light. Not sure how much more it's worth though. Any recommendations?
05-28-2016, 01:26 PM   #14
Veteran Member

[/COLOR]I found a K5 with the DA 18-55 used in decent condition with about 5,000 actuations for ~£250/$365, seems like a decent deal.

Would it be worth getting the K5II/s? Seems that the major step up is AF in low light. Not sure how much more it's worth though. Any recommendations?
IMO the K-5 is pretty much the best used value for Pentax DSLRs *right now*. Yes, the II/s adds dynamic range and focus improvements - better high ISO as well, but they generally are $100-200 more on the used market. Absolutely up to you and whether or not you think you'll need/want those added benefits. The K-5 is an excellent camera. Also, if you have glass already, I would personally skip the 18-55 kit lens, unless its the weather-resistant version. Always nice to have a "drizzle" option.
05-28-2016, 01:29 PM   #15
Administrator
Site Webmaster

The original K-5 has an older AF system than the K-S2 which is not as sensitive in low light. The K-5 II, however, has a better AF system which it shares with the K-S2.

If you're set on a top LCD then I'd recommend looking for a K-5 II or IIs.

QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
better high ISO as well
Just the s, and only because of the removal of the AA filter.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers: