Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-28-2016, 08:48 AM   #1

K-3 ii successor? Just curious...

Hi. I am wondering where Pentax moves next in high-end APS-C cameras. Will there be a K-3 iii? I have seen some spurious rumors on youtube, but nothing to confirm them. Or will Pentax go for a redesigned brand new flagship APS-C camera. I have no idea what they could call it. They seem to have burnt the bridges in naming the K-1 the K-1. The K-2? I'd Iike to see 24MP, 10 fps, 4K video etc. etc. Does anyone have any idea?

05-28-2016, 08:59 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I haven't seen any rumors yet but like you I'm hoping for a K-3 III. I'd like to see a much improved AF with better low light capability, faster, more accurate lock on and tracking..
05-28-2016, 09:01 AM - 1 Like   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wtlwdwgn Quote
I haven't seen any rumors yet but like you I'm hoping for a K-3 III. I'd like to see a much improved AF with better low light capability, faster, more accurate lock on and tracking..
Yes that too. Perhaps an integrated flash trigger and wifi, whilst we're at it.
Oh and for them to get rid of cross-processing and filter effects clutter.
05-28-2016, 09:02 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by plooksta Quote
Does anyone have any idea?
Ricoh does. But no one here does. Of course that will not stop anyone from telling you.

No idea where they are going to go with the naming convention, they seem to have painted themselves into a corner.

As to the next APS-C camera? There are rumors about a K-70 name being registered so I would suspect that will be a replacement for the K-50. I also suspect they will do something to replace the K-3 with similar specs, 24mp maybe a little faster frame per second rate and some of the K-1 tech. I am going say no 4k video and 10fps is highly unlikely. Just a good solid APS-C camera.

If you want a D500, I think you are going to have to buy a D500. Just my opinion.

05-28-2016, 09:06 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Ricoh does. But no one here does. Of course that will not stop anyone from telling you.

No idea where they are going to go with the naming convention, they seem to have painted themselves into a corner.

As to the next APS-C camera? There are rumors about a K-70 name being registered so I would suspect that will be a replacement for the K-50. I also suspect they will do something to replace the K-3 with similar specs, 24mp maybe a little faster frame per second rate and some of the K-1 tech. I am going say no 4k video and 10fps is highly unlikely. Just a good solid APS-C camera.

If you want a D500, I think you are going to have to buy a D500. Just my opinion.
Lolz. I agree 4K unlikely. 10fps not beyond Pentax I think though. I don't care too much. I think 8fps is plenty in reality. If it could be fully exploited. C-AF and write buffer are the bigger limitations.

---------- Post added 05-28-16 at 09:11 AM ----------

Indeed. K-1 was a booboo on several levels. It causes much confusion with the pre-existing K-01, and blocks the APS-C line's progression. Seeing as it's a new line in full frame cameras they could really have come up with something a little different. Maybe a KF-1 for example? Just sayin.[COLOR="Silver"]

---------- Post added 05-28-16 at 09:11 AM ----------

Last edited by plooksta; 05-28-2016 at 09:11 AM.
05-28-2016, 09:14 AM - 2 Likes   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Maybe a KF-1 for example? Just sayin.
I voted for LX-D but nobody listened to me.
05-28-2016, 09:25 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by wtlwdwgn Quote
That's what I would also like to see. Better, no far better tracking is a must to me. Anything else would be icing on the cake to me. An upgrade to the 560 lens to include a fast focus motor would be nice.

05-28-2016, 10:04 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Oh and for them to get rid of cross-processing and filter effects clutter.
Yes, please.
05-28-2016, 01:08 PM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery

Indeed. K-1 was a booboo on several levels. It causes much confusion with the pre-existing K-01, and blocks the APS-C line's progression.
Nonsense. IMO.
05-28-2016, 01:38 PM - 1 Like   #10
Administrator
Site Webmaster

The K-9 is still available. They could also use odds for full-frame cameras and evens for APS-C.

Indeed. K-1 was a booboo on several levels. It causes much confusion with the pre-existing K-01, and blocks the APS-C line's progression. Seeing as it's a new line in full frame cameras they could really have come up with something a little different. Maybe a KF-1 for example? Just sayin.
I think they were paying homage to the name they originally gave the Pentax fully frame DSLR back in 2000. Regardless of its name, the camera will probably turn out to be one of Pentax's most successful (or at least most critically acclaimed) bodies.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-28-2016, 01:51 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Regardless of its name, the camera will probably turn out to be one of Pentax's most successful (or at least most critically acclaimed) bodies.
+1 Not much not to like. Reviewers are going to have a tough time finding those little 'faults' so that their reviews look 'balanced'. Kinda hard not to get enthusiastic about this camera, it really is quite remarkable.

And so far, no faults of any significance.
05-28-2016, 01:54 PM   #12
Administrator
Site Webmaster

+1 Not much not to like. Reviewers are going to have a tough time finding those little 'faults' so that their reviews look 'balanced'. Kinda hard not to get enthusiastic about this camera, it really is quite remarkable.

And so far, no faults of any significance.
Not to sound biased, but there really aren't any significant faults. Even the annoying button duplication in SEL mode has been made much more predictable thanks to the C20 function function! Any remaining issues (at least among those I've found) are minor at best.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-28-2016, 03:28 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I sure would like to see a K3/K3II next installment with better high ISO "quality".
The K3 's 24 MP is enough for me though, and the frame rate is quite sufficient as it is.
I suppose Ricoh will not likely come up with a new APS-C camera based on just ISO improvement. As many members here mentioned, in this thread and others, perhaps adding some of the K-1 specs in a smaller (K3 size) format?
I enjoy my K3 but I also still like to use my dear ol' K5 too !

So: a mix of the best attributes of the K3 mixed with a touch of K-1 !
05-28-2016, 05:38 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
I suppose Ricoh will not likely come up with a new APS-C camera based on just ISO improvement. As many members here mentioned, in this thread and others, perhaps adding some of the K-1 specs in a smaller (K3 size) format?
Adding some of the K-1 tech is an obvious conclusion. But the missing part is the sensor. If they are going to replace the K-3II at some point they need a sensor with some clear improvements. Otherwise, I'm stumped as to what they could add to make a k-3III. Maybe the tilty screen thing? Maybe the K-1 AF module?
05-28-2016, 05:45 PM   #15
mee
Veteran Member

Improved AF, faster processor, deeper buffer, faster burst, more DR, quieter screwdrive, WIFI/NFC, flippy screen, hybrid viewfinder, and *gasp* improved video functions are all places they could *theoretically* go with the next crop body after K-3 II