Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 32 Likes Search this Thread
01-29-2019, 12:45 PM   #121

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
I would say read the article from Thom Hogan.

The Canon Doomsday Proclamation | DSLRBodies | Thom Hogan

So less sales makes manufacturers strip their lineup. Pentax sales are also like 25 % lower. So stripping the line-up is part of the deal.

K-mount
- k-1ii
- KP
- k-70

I think this will go down to one full frame and one aps-c camera. With ofcourse some overlap time in sales from the old model to the new. K-3ii model line is for customers who have moved up to fullframe.
K-3ii model line is for customers who have moved up to fullframe.
I don't think people graduate or 'move up' to Full Frame. APS-C has its advantages.

01-29-2019, 01:22 PM   #122
Banned

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by sutherland Quote
I don't think people graduate or 'move up' to Full Frame. APS-C has its advantages.
But not enough customers are left over for a high end APSC camera to make a profit on them.
01-29-2019, 03:11 PM   #123
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mountain Vision Quote
The buffer on the KP would barely suffice for bracketed images. Let's not even get into sports or event work. Nothing is more frustrating than telling a client you need second while the buffer clears. Actually, there is something. Missing shots because the buffer is full and then, if possible, if it's the sort of event you can redo, having to do it over again.

I guess the folks trying to not invest in dual systems are foolish, if you like Pentax for personal use, you still need Canon or Nikon for professional work. I know when I was doing paid work I shot two systems. Although towards the end, I was solely shooting Pentax because Pentax was robust enough by that point.
Nobody ever claimed the KP is a camera for professionals.
A professional should have funds available to purchase a K-1ii.
01-29-2019, 03:43 PM - 2 Likes   #124
dbs
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Hi All

The K3 11 sucesser was / is the K1
For 10 yrs we want we want has been the chant....well you got it
The KP and alike are the apsc models now
get over it

Dave

01-29-2019, 03:53 PM   #125
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Nobody ever claimed the KP is a camera for professionals.
A professional should have funds available to purchase a K-1ii.
If any of that is true. Pentax just showed how unprepared they were as a company to launch the K-1. I have a k-1 and it's not a k-3ii replacement. Neither are the lens options in total a replacement for the DA lineup. So if Pentax did replace the K-3II with the K-1 they were unprepared, and I actually believe you might be correct. It seems like the sort of illogical step at this point, especially when they pushed a ridiculous 50mm 1.4 that virtually no one cares about out the door before a wide angle prime or a more reasonable wide angle zoom, etc.

01-29-2019, 04:09 PM - 1 Like   #126
dbs
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Hi Mountain

Do you really think in this new millenial fickle world anyone is going to invest to that extent..?
Lucky with pentax any lens can be used on any camera..what say the opposition ?
Old school you had to have a fast 50...We know Pentax is slower in releasing lenses but they seem to be worth waiting for
In the mean time you can use all your older proffessional FF lenses that you owned or aquired on the K1 and even on your asp-c camera
( mini rant over )

Dave
01-29-2019, 06:26 PM - 1 Like   #127
Pentaxian

So less sales makes manufacturers strip their lineup. Pentax sales are also like 25 % lower. So stripping the line-up is part of the deal.
Where did that come from?

I think this will go down to one full frame and one aps-c camera. With ofcourse some overlap time in sales from the old model to the new. K-3ii model line is for customers who have moved up to fullframe.
If you're right, and there's no longer a market for an improved APS-c flagship, I've always wondered what a D500 would be like.
I can only take shooting wildlife with a K-1 for about 20 minutes before I start pulling my hair out, and my K-3 is already at 125,000 actuations. It's not going to be my last action camera.

Last edited by normhead; 01-29-2019 at 07:01 PM.
01-29-2019, 11:34 PM   #128
Pentaxian

The buffer on the KP would barely suffice for bracketed images.
I've never had issues bracketing on the KP so I have no clue what you're talking about. Even when doing action being careful with more deliberate bursts is enough to avoid the buffer.

It's not "the best" but don't paint it like it's some canon entry level camera.

I feel like most people here who slam the camera have never even seen it in person let alone used it.

Last edited by ZombieArmy; 01-29-2019 at 11:40 PM.
01-29-2019, 11:59 PM   #129
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
I've never had issues bracketing on the KP so I have no clue what you're talking about. Even when doing action being careful with more deliberate bursts is enough to avoid the buffer.

It's not "the best" but don't paint it like it's some canon entry level camera.

I feel like most people here who slam the camera have never even seen it in person let alone used it.
I'm not calling it a piece of junk or even a bad camera. But it's neither a flagship nor a replacement for a flagship APS-C DSLR. My comments are directed at those saying it is.

Quite frankly I don't know why some people seem so excited to see the end of APS-C professional bodies. It's almost like they had a wager and if Ricoh ends APS-C with the K-3II they get a cookie or something. Like they feel vindicated that 35mm won in the end. 35mm was a film format, not the holy grail of imaging sensor sizes. Meanwhile, the K-1 is a great hobbyist camera, but it's far from a professional level camera. The K-3II was a lot closer to the competition at the time of its release.

The K-1 with its crop mode is not the replacement for the K-3II either. Crop mode is awesome. And Pentax should be commended for making it so available, unlike say Canon who made its crop and 35mm systems incompatible.

01-30-2019, 12:56 AM   #130
Banned

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Where did that come from?

If you're right, and there's no longer a market for an improved APS-c flagship, I've always wondered what a D500 would be like.
If you wonder how a D500 would be like.....just buy one.

On the numbers. We will get new numbers on februari 7th. So I will look into that again then.
01-30-2019, 11:41 AM   #131
Pentaxian

I can only take shooting wildlife with a K-1 for about 20 minutes
7-10 minutes in my case, then I start calling names
01-30-2019, 11:48 AM   #132
Forum Member

I'll start saving up for that Sony.
01-30-2019, 12:32 PM   #133
Pentaxian

I can only take shooting wildlife with a K-1 for about 20 minutes before I start pulling my hair out, and my K-3 is already at 125,000 actuations. It's not going to be my last action camera.
The Nikon users I'm in contact with think the D500 may be the end of its line - that Nikon may hope the D850 in crop mode may 'replace' it.
01-30-2019, 12:43 PM   #134
Pentaxian

If any of that is true. Pentax just showed how unprepared they were as a company to launch the K-1. I have a k-1 and it's not a k-3ii replacement. Neither are the lens options in total a replacement for the DA lineup. So if Pentax did replace the K-3II with the K-1 they were unprepared, and I actually believe you might be correct. It seems like the sort of illogical step at this point, especially when they pushed a ridiculous 50mm 1.4 that virtually no one cares about out the door before a wide angle prime or a more reasonable wide angle zoom, etc.
When I first came here, just over four years ago, I was hearing "I want a FF camera so my vintage prime lenses will be what they were meant to be". If Pentax was listening to {and believing} those words, they would think that most users wouldn't want many {if any} new lenses, and the DFA lenses available would be sufficient. In recent years, Pentax has focused on 'field' cameras, so they may have thought that would be sufficient.
01-30-2019, 01:55 PM - 1 Like   #135
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by labidas Quote
I'll start saving up for that $$$ony.
Fixed it for you.