Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 32 Likes Search this Thread
01-30-2019, 03:52 PM   #136
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
If you wonder how a D500 would be like.....just buy one.

On the numbers. We will get new numbers on februari 7th. So I will look into that again then.
It's not the camera, it's the lenses that prevent that. Well also the camera costs more than my K-1.
As long as my K-3 is alive, it's not an area of concern.

01-30-2019, 08:43 PM   #137
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
When I first came here, just over four years ago, I was hearing "I want a FF camera so my vintage prime lenses will be what they were meant to be". If Pentax was listening to {and believing} those words, they would think that most users wouldn't want many {if any} new lenses, and the DFA lenses available would be sufficient. In recent years, Pentax has focused on 'field' cameras, so they may have thought that would be sufficient.
I'm personally thrilled with the K-1. And I think other than the weight of it, most people that wanted a camera to use all their old k mount glass on are pretty much satisfied with it. It's a great hobbyists camera that is capable (pro camera) of producing some income in the right genres. However, I do think you need to not only keep your existing customers happy but bring a few new ones in from time to time.

Also, you have to realize that you're getting pretty close to, or possibly have already, burned the bridge for people that were shooting the K-3/K-3II line professionally and no longer have a replacement camera to buy in some markets where they are sold out. So you have to account for the loss of that segment of your market too.

When you have 3.5% of the market, can you really afford to cast off any of those customers?

01-31-2019, 01:08 AM   #138
Banned

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Mountain Vision Quote
When you have 3.5% of the market, can you really afford to cast off any of those customers?
Pentax has less then 1 % of the global dslr market!
01-31-2019, 01:13 AM   #139
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Pentax has less then 1 % of the global dslr market!
There you go. When you have 1%...

01-31-2019, 08:21 AM   #140
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mountain Vision Quote
Also, you have to realize that you're getting pretty close to, or possibly have already, burned the bridge for people that were shooting the K-3/K-3II line professionally and no longer have a replacement camera to buy in some markets where they are sold out. So you have to account for the loss of that segment of your market too.

What makes you classify the K-3ii a "pro" camera, but the K-1ii a "hobbyist" camera??
01-31-2019, 08:26 AM   #141

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
What makes you classify the K-3ii a "pro" camera, but the K-1ii a "hobbyist" camera??
I can add some clarity here:
- any camera in my hands becomes a 'hobbyist' camera
01-31-2019, 08:30 AM - 2 Likes   #142
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sutherland Quote
I can add some clarity here:
- any camera in my hands becomes a 'hobbyist' camera
I tend to not spend a lot of time on definitions that don't affect my use of the camera.
Do "pro" cameras shut off when I pick them up? Is there some magic switch that locks out amateurs?
If not then, that "information" is pretty much useless.

01-31-2019, 08:45 AM   #143

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I tend to not spend a lot of time on definitions that don't affect my use of the camera.
Do "pro" cameras shut off when I pick them up? Is there some magic switch that locks out amateurs?
If not then, that "information" is pretty much useless.
You jinxed me. My D500 just deemed me unworthy. It won't turn on.