Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-28-2016, 12:14 PM   #1
Site Supporter




Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 126
Firmware wish list - stop down metering in shutter release in M mode

If stop down metering is possible in manual mode, surely it must be possible to incorporate this function into the shutter release cycle. This would save a step when shooting non-A lenses. I shoot alot with manual lenses and wish Pentax would do this...

05-28-2016, 01:12 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
WPRESTO's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Massachusetts
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 23,496
The trick is: the camera doesn't what F-stop is set, and cannot set the correct TV for an M-series lens until it is stopped down, so firmware would have to close the aperture and set the TV at half-press where normally it would trigger AF. However, I believe that aperture closure and shutter release are interconnected in such a way that the firmware cannot selectively operate one separately from the other. Only mirror-up can be activated independently SFAIK. The firmware would have to alter the sequence for aperture closure, TV determination, and shutter release, and I don't think that is possible.
05-28-2016, 01:15 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
UncleVanya's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2014
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 9,492
QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
The trick is: the camera doesn't what F-stop is set, and cannot set the correct TV for an M-series lens until it is stopped down, so firmware would have to close the aperture and set the TV at half-press where normally it would trigger AF. However, I believe that aperture closure and shutter release are interconnected in such a way that the firmware cannot selectively operate one separately from the other. Only mirror-up can be activated independently SFAIK. The firmware would have to alter the sequence for aperture closure, TV determination, and shutter release, and I don't think that is possible.
Then how does Green Button mode work? And how does DOF preview work?
05-28-2016, 02:16 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster
Adam's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 40,944
QuoteOriginally posted by k22 Quote
If stop down metering is possible in manual mode, surely it must be possible to incorporate this function into the shutter release cycle. This would save a step when shooting non-A lenses. I shoot alot with manual lenses and wish Pentax would do this...
It's been suggested before, and frankly Pentax reps don't seem particularly inclined to make such a change It would certainly make life a little bit easier.

Muscle memory is the way to go, I guess!


Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)



PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

05-28-2016, 02:46 PM   #5
Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 26,158
QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
The trick is: the camera doesn't what F-stop is set, and cannot set the correct TV for an M-series lens until it is stopped down, so firmware would have to close the aperture and set the TV at half-press where normally it would trigger AF. However, I believe that aperture closure and shutter release are interconnected in such a way that the firmware cannot selectively operate one separately from the other. Only mirror-up can be activated independently SFAIK. The firmware would have to alter the sequence for aperture closure, TV determination, and shutter release, and I don't think that is possible.
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Then how does Green Button mode work? And how does DOF preview work?
I believe the OP is suggesting a type of Av mode with half-press for stop-down. The feature would only work with K-mount lenses. FWIW, a similar approach was used on the Yashica AX film camera in the early 1970s.


Steve
05-28-2016, 03:26 PM   #6
k22
Site Supporter




Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 126
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I believe the OP is suggesting a type of Av mode with half-press for stop-down. The feature would only work with K-mount lenses. FWIW, a similar approach was used on the Yashica AX film camera in the early 1970s.


Steve
I'm thinking of a combined meter and shutter release function. One push of the shutter button releases the aperture lever, moves the mirror, takes a light reading, sets the required settings, captures the image, releases the mirror, re-engages the aperture lever, saves the image.
05-28-2016, 06:08 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
WPRESTO's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Massachusetts
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 23,496
I'll confess that when I purchased my first Pentax digital (10D) I was very disappointed that my older TTL flash units (two 280's, Sunpak 444, etc) would only work in manual or thyristor mode. I thought Pentax should have and eventually would upgrade firmware to allow TTL operation with legacy strobes, but no go. Doesn't matter now as I have several strobes that provide PTTL on ASPC bodies and for ASPC mode and some (not all) for FF mode on a K1.
05-29-2016, 09:42 AM   #8
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Nagoya
Posts: 491
It would be a really lovely thing to have. I have a couple of old late-model M42 cameras (Chinon CE Memotron, etc) that shoot Av that way and it actually becomes very intuitive, as you can focus with an open aperture, press the shutter button halfway, take your meter reading AND get a DoF preview simultaneously, then decide if you like the combination of speed and DoF and press the shutter all the way down to get the shot.

05-29-2016, 02:40 PM   #9
Senior Member
deus ursus's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Stårheim, Norway
Posts: 269
I'd like that feature as well, but not in M mode, as that would take away the control of the exposure. A setting in user mode would be a better option IMHO. That way you could have a "half automated" mode in user mode, and still have full control in M mode.
05-29-2016, 03:02 PM   #10
k22
Site Supporter




Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 126
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by deus ursus Quote
I'd like that feature as well, but not in M mode, as that would take away the control of the exposure. A setting in user mode would be a better option IMHO. That way you could have a "half automated" mode in user mode, and still have full control in M mode.
Exactly. Or just allow it as a setting that you can program into Manual, User, etc. I can't imagine it's a hard thing to do.
05-31-2016, 10:25 AM   #11
Senior Member




Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 207
I'd imagine it would be easy enough to accomplish: push shutter button, camera closes aperture, pauses to meter, then flips up the mirror and takes the shot.

The main problem I see is the lag during metering before it lifts the mirror and takes the picture. People complain enough about P-TTL delay where it's basically doing the same thing (any P-TTL, not just on the K-3). I'm sure they would complain about this lag too. You can't nitpick flaws in a feature that doesn't exist though! I'm sure the engineers weighed the pros and cons of adding extra functionality, and since this only applies to old lenses I can see why they might not want to spend the time developing it further. (Especially since people who are using these old lenses probably know enough to work around it or aren't using automatic settings anyway.) As much as I would like M lenses to work like A lenses, I understand that would be an added bonus feature, not something that should be expected.

I do agree that this would be nice feature you could enable as an advanced option though. (Just like the custom setting to allow using lenses without an aperture ring set to "A")
05-31-2016, 03:04 PM   #12
Senior Member
deus ursus's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Stårheim, Norway
Posts: 269
The problem I see is that the metering with M/K lenses seems to be a bit off. When I meter with the green button, The first shot is never, or at least very seldom, not correctly exposed, so I need to adjust either shutter speed or aperture to get the right exposure. I'm not sure if the error is consistent, so it can be fixed with exposure compensation. If so, there really is no problem, but I believe someone here on this forum mentioned something about the metering not being consistent throughout the aperture range.
06-04-2016, 06:35 AM - 1 Like   #13
Forum Member




Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 85
I am one of those who has suggested this before (but not the first). My idea was to implement it as a new exposure mode that would be a hybrid between M and Av. See my post here documenting it for the K-1, although it could be any recent Pentax DSLR. The new exposure mode would be enabled with a new option for custom function "Using Aperture Ring". This would allow the new Av-like functionality with K/M lenses while not changing any of the existing exposure modes, and allowing use the current way of doing things.

I believe Adam has discussed this idea with one of the Pentax reps at WPPI, and they gave some odd objections that I don't fully understand. I think if we bring it to their attention again, it might go better if we emphasize that it is basically a user interface change that does not change the underlying camera functionality. Maybe that would help?
06-04-2016, 10:48 AM   #14
k22
Site Supporter




Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 126
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JBox Quote
I am one of those who has suggested this before (but not the first). My idea was to implement it as a new exposure mode that would be a hybrid between M and Av. See my post here documenting it for the K-1, although it could be any recent Pentax DSLR. The new exposure mode would be enabled with a new option for custom function "Using Aperture Ring". This would allow the new Av-like functionality with K/M lenses while not changing any of the existing exposure modes, and allowing use the current way of doing things.

I believe Adam has discussed this idea with one of the Pentax reps at WPPI, and they gave some odd objections that I don't fully understand. I think if we bring it to their attention again, it might go better if we emphasize that it is basically a user interface change that does not change the underlying camera functionality. Maybe that would help?
How do we bring it to their attention?
06-04-2016, 11:42 AM   #15
Forum Member




Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 85
QuoteOriginally posted by k22 Quote
How do we bring it to their attention?
The way that I know of is through Adam here on the forums going to shows and talking to Pentax reps. I think the next show is Photokina, which is later this year? There are now two threads here and here for various firmware ideas, so Adam is going to have quite a long list if he takes them all! I think the idea in the first of those threads is to get a list of the most important ones or ones that people like the most, rather than all of them. I am not aware of any formalized way to get this info to Pentax.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, dslr, firmware wish list, lenses, mode, photography, release, shutter, shutter release
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Stop down metering only works in liveview on K-R with manual M lenses DadsMX Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 14 06-29-2016 06:14 AM
Pentax 67 now meters only in stop-down mode MorgothV8 Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 5 01-31-2016 12:43 AM
Stop Down Metering in K30 (with Extension Tube & Lens Reversed) rp_dxn Pentax K-30 & K-50 5 09-23-2013 11:43 PM
stop-down metering and Av mode Beau Pentax DSLR Discussion 15 06-02-2009 09:58 PM
K10D, SMC-M lenses, stop-down metering J2R Pentax DSLR Discussion 10 05-22-2009 03:26 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:23 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top