Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
05-28-2016, 03:51 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Pixel Shift Motion Correction

If this has already been discussed, please direct me to those posts. I used the search function, but did not find any.

Do we know how the Pixel Shift Motion Correction in the DCU 5.5.1 works?

My guess is that it works somehow along the lines of anti-ghosting options in HDR programs: that it drops out the part of the image that moved. This would give us some parts of the image rendered in Pixel Shift definition, and the moving parts in standard definition. Am I close?

05-28-2016, 04:09 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi QmJ,

Yes, that's what I think too, although like you, I've found no documentation anywhere to confirm.

Before K-1/DCU5.5.1 appeared, I used to do this manually(!) in DCU5.4.2 by exporting a K-3II PS RAW in camera to a non-PS TIFF, then blending the two together in Photoshop in areas where there were movement artefacts, which looks like how 5.5.1 automates it. The moving areas may 'only' be standard definition 😄, but given the k-3II's resolution capability it's still very good - and better than the previous blurries.

It's great that the K-3II was designed such that motion correction could retrospectively be applied in DCU5. I'll be using pixel shift in my holiday to the Alps next week.
05-28-2016, 04:21 PM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Quartermaster James Quote
Do we know how the Pixel Shift Motion Correction in the DCU 5.5.1 works?
I don't, so this might not be helpful.
It may be using a technique similar to that employed by dcrawps, which checks for differences in pixels in the two images which are aligned on green. For zero movement these pixels should be identical, hence where there are differences some logical action can be taken.

Cheers,
Terry