Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-29-2016, 07:21 AM - 1 Like   #16
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ularula Quote
Kerrowdown, now that's an impressive lens collection!
Thank you.

My "Ladies" have just been hanging about all these years in limbo, much like pretty zombies waiting for the advent of a digital FF from Pentax... now they're getting out and about and generally enjoy life again with the old Kerrowdown.

Last edited by Kerrowdown; 05-29-2016 at 07:29 AM.
05-29-2016, 07:24 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Honestly anything that you buy will be so advanced to what you are using that you will feel good about it. The K-10 is a great camera but so many advances have been made. You may want to make a chart of possible cameras, what you like about each, what they may lack, and then go to different forums online and see what people complain about, and what they really like. What are your must haves, and what are your would like to haves. Read reviews but filter them. A lot of reviews focus on flaws that in real experience are non factors. They will also inflate the value of some features because the reviewer subconsciously favors the camera or brand. And most of all think of your own use and check the lenses for each system that will support your usage.
05-29-2016, 07:25 AM   #18

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
After reading all of that, I would say buy a K-3II (if you mostly shoot telephoto, if you enjoy slightly lighter camera) or K-1 (if you mostly shoot landscape, wide angle, or if you need tilt screen on the back)
K10D was a great camera, but modern cameras offer so much more. Even a K-5IIs or K-S2. Probably even the K-S1!

In what? What are K-3 and K-3II lacking that you need, that mirrorless cameras have?

For me, mirrorless m43 was attractive, until I saw how big some of those cameras actually are and how much money they want for them (and lenses). There are rumours about a K-70 being announced soon, which should be a K-50 replacement. Will probably be a bit better than the K-S2, more conservative appearance, but I don't think it will be the APSC flagship. For that we will have to wait even longer. The K-3 can be found for really good prices these days
Guessing, the replacement to K-3ii is probably not until 2017. Looking at past release schedules. So I might not wait a year, maybe look into K-3ii again. Anybody recommend the Flucard or Eyefi, or are they really clunky add-ons with a bunch of limitations.

Wifi on the KS2 didn't test out that great on Imaging Resource, but it might be the Prntax iPhone app is better than the Android app, or that they have been updated?
05-29-2016, 07:27 AM - 1 Like   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
A negative point on m43 is the sensor dimension. Not itself, but for my photography: first, the smaller the sensor the more the problem with the wideangles., If I remember right, Oly has aut. compensation in the jpeg engine for distortion etc , but raw files are IMPRESSIVE for the amount of distortion ('I've seen something in that regard in Photozone.de, if I remeber right). Second, if your photography involves cropping , a smaller sensor means poorer results in some conditions. So there's no sense , in my way to make photos, to go for a system smaller than APSC. Fuji has different sensor pattern, so their 16mpx generation bodies are referred to be consistent in low light (some way better than APSC).

Ah, in the Om d10 I found the EVF to be good. I've not tryed special feature regarding the EVF (honestly I don't rememberr if that model has the same feature Fuji has) and it was natural.

Last edited by bm75; 05-29-2016 at 07:35 AM.
05-29-2016, 07:27 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Releasing a camera without Wifi in 2015 like the K-3ii is for me a mayor omission, and also not having some degree of movable display. Beside that a great camera! Just a tad disappointed about these omissions. Why do it on the KS2, but leave it out on the K-3ii? Different production team?
Different strokes for different folks. Personally, I've really got little to no use for either Wifi or a movable display. In fact, I consider the latter a liability in terms of structural integrity and compactness. As to Wifi, when it can transfer a card full of RAW files faster than my card reader, then I might have a use for it. I much prefer having built-in GPS in the K-3II. Just my two-cents plain. I'm sure there's a camera out there for you somewhere.
05-29-2016, 07:30 AM - 1 Like   #21
Forum Member

What do you wish to get from the Wifi? From what I've heard and read, no system currently does a very good job of implementing Wifi, and the lack of it may not be as much of a con as you might think.
05-29-2016, 07:32 AM - 1 Like   #22

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
Honestly anything that you buy will be so advanced to what you are using that you will feel good about it. The K-10 is a great camera but so many advances have been made. You may want to make a chart of possible cameras, what you like about each, what they may lack, and then go to different forums online and see what people complain about, and what they really like. What are your must haves, and what are your would like to haves. Read reviews but filter them. A lot of reviews focus on flaws that in real experience are non factors. They will also inflate the value of some features because the reviewer subconsciously favors the camera or brand. And most of all think of your own use and check the lenses for each system that will support your usage.
Thanks, I'm working up a list! Agree that reviews often skew results. E.g. for me, video is unimportant, but often Pentax reviews subtract for this "deficiency" (compared to Sony A6300 or A7ii). And I guess I have to look hard if Pentax usability (like hyper/P-mode) is more important than stuff like articulated screens, wifi.

---------- Post added 05-29-16 at 07:41 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Quartermaster James Quote
Different strokes for different folks. Personally, I've really got little to no use for either Wifi or a movable display. In fact, I consider the latter a liability in terms of structural integrity and compactness. As to Wifi, when it can transfer a card full of RAW files faster than my card reader, then I might have a use for it. I much prefer having built-in GPS in the K-3II. Just my two-cents plain. I'm sure there's a camera out there for you somewhere.
Yes, maybe wifi is more in the gimmick department at present? Have read that quite a few impementations on different systems seem buggy, slow and jpeg only. Like my eyefi card - well probably better than that! I would want fast transfers, RAW files. But not really there yet on any camera?

The K-1 has a novel and seemingly sturdy construction for the display (the lifting by the display videos and pictures).

Guess I need to prioritize that list. Maybe articulated display is in the nice to have column, not the need to have...

Last edited by ularula; 05-29-2016 at 07:49 AM.
05-29-2016, 07:54 AM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
One nice approach that Pentax follows - primarily for survival, is the use of interchangeable technology across their 645, FF and APS-C bodies. The 645Z is based on the K3 as is the K1 (well the K3II). I would think that the K3II replacement that they must be working on now would follow the same pattern. The K3II was in some part a stop gap measure with the K3 - in order to provide Pentax more time for the introduction of the K1 - which was originally scheduled to be out at least 6 if not 9 to 12 months earlier.

I would wait - if possible, for the K3II replacement. I'm guessing that it will be a cropped version of the K1 with the smaller sensor. They should be able to turn this design around quickly, but when it would be announced is the key - since they would probably not want any thing competing with the K1, for mind share. My thoughts would be later this year, perhaps in time for the Christmas holidays or first quarter next year. Its price would need to be sandwiched below the K1 at $1800 and above the K3II at about $700, so perhaps $1300.

In the mean time a used K5/K5IIs/K3/K3II or K-s2 could be a temporary or even permanent solution.

05-29-2016, 07:56 AM - 1 Like   #24
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Originally posted by ularula Quote The K-3 is a bit lacking, so skipping that one at least. In what?

What are K-3 and K-3II lacking that you need, that mirrorless cameras have?
I would ask the same question. I went from a K10D (which I kept as a backup), and went to a K3. There are so many features on the K3, that I doubt I'll utilize all of them in my lifetime! So, I also ask what is a "bit lacking" on the K3?
05-29-2016, 08:16 AM - 1 Like   #25
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

A certain well known squirrel woke me up early this Sunday morning claiming he had spotted a "Jumper" and wanted to launch a full scale attack. He does have permission to address Jumpers, but after reading your post, you are no Jumper.

No disrespect to your K10D, it was one of my most cherished Pentax cameras.....but honestly, you are shooting in the Dark Ages compared to the new Pentax camera line. Take a cruise through the various photo threads of the various bodies and look at the Exif....amazing things the K10D could never do.

There is some excellent advice given in this thread...if you are wise you will take it!

I'm gonna make you an offer only a fool would refuse. Buy one of the Pentax cameras recommended here.....if you are not satisfied after a month, come back to this thread and I'll buy it from you...I could use a back up APS-C camera..

Should you turn foolish, please post your Jumper post later in the day so I won't be disturbed in the middle of the night by a damn squirrel that wants to make hash out of you!

Best Regards!
Rupert
05-29-2016, 08:30 AM   #26
Pentaxian

Besides battery, anything else practical/ergonomics that would be sorely missed?
You miss AF capability in low light. But by reading your words, you've already made your choice, emotionally, so it wouldn't change anything if the best in class mirrorless camera was really not as good as the best in class current DSLRs. Usually, customers make decisions based on a desire (a preference) and then they are looking for rational elements to confirm their choice (what you're doing in this thread). If you desire a mirrorless camera, go for it immediately and then see for yourself. Your K10 is old tech, so more or less anything apsc or FF you'll buy now would be better.
05-29-2016, 08:35 AM   #27

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
A certain well known squirrel woke me up early this Sunday morning claiming he had spotted a "Jumper" and wanted to launch a full scale attack. He does have permission to address Jumpers, but after reading your post, you are no Jumper.

No disrespect to your K10D, it was one of my most cherished Pentax cameras.....but honestly, you are shooting in the Dark Ages compared to the new Pentax camera line. Take a cruise through the various photo threads of the various bodies and look at the Exif....amazing things the K10D could never do.

There is some excellent advice given in this thread...if you are wise you will take it!

I'm gonna make you an offer only a fool would refuse. Buy one of the Pentax cameras recommended here.....if you are not satisfied after a month, come back to this thread and I'll buy it from you...I could use a back up APS-C camera..

Should you turn foolish, please post your Jumper post later in the day so I won't be disturbed in the middle of the night by a damn squirrel that wants to make hash out of you!

Best Regards!
Rupert
Rupert, I haven't jumped! In fact, posting here is to get some solid advice from Pentax users. Preferably ones who have dabbled with the mirrorless stuff too! I really want to get a clear idea of practical ergonomics etc that Is probably improved on newer Pentaxes. As I'm currently using an old sorcerer's camera marked "K10D" with a few battle scars, I get the feeling newer Pentaxes could be a great upgrade.

Mumble mumble, I don't need wifi (thinking more and more this is not well implented on any system?). Mumble mumble, I don't need articulated (still want that). Curious about the benefits of Pixel Shift, maybe that's gimmickry on K-3ii, but good on K-1?

I have time, not purchasing until late this year, just doing my research!

---------- Post added 05-29-16 at 08:47 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
You miss AF capability in low light. But by reading your words, you've already made your choice, emotionally, so it wouldn't change anything if the best in class mirrorless camera was really not as good as the best in class current DSLRs. Usually, customers make decisions based on a desire (a preference) and then they are looking for rational elements to confirm their choice (what you're doing in this thread). If you desire a mirrorless camera, go for it immediately and then see for yourself. Your K10 is old tech, so more or less anything apsc or FF you'll buy now would be better.
Quite sure I haven't made a decision. Posting here to get feedback on stuff that Pentax has, like practicals like P-mode, good battery life.

AF in low light is a good point, thanks!

Also, picked up that M43 has distortion isues on RAW with wideangle. I always shoot RAW+jpeg, having to just use jpegs for wideangle seems a bit problematic.

So let me be undecided for the moment. No rush, I'll purchase later this year.
05-29-2016, 08:48 AM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
You can get a K-5 for dirt cheap, that will blow your K10D away. As others have said, I don't know why you wouldn't go for a K-S2. I considered a K-S2 as a back up for my K-3. Now I'm thinking of waiting for the k-3III, hoping it will have K-1 pixels shift and tilting screen But the K-S2 is ready to go right now.

The extra 4 MP might be useful for cropping, but honestly, I don't do much with my K-3 I couldn't do with a 16 MP K-5. I like the extra features, but there's not much I would miss, except for the ability to crop small bird images. And 20 MP to 24 MP, that's very little difference in the real world.
Norm hit the nail on the head. If you must have something now go with the KS2 it will smoke your K10. I still have my K10 gathering dust and a K5 which I use. I'm waiting for the K3III for the same reasons Norm is. I would go with the K1 but it doesn't not have the burst rate I need for a big portion of my shooting.
05-29-2016, 08:49 AM - 1 Like   #29
Pentaxian

The most immediate thing you notice is 250-shot battery life spare batteries are mandatory (and seldom spare for long)!
The second is viewfinder, which you'll love or not as EVFs are definitely different. You can see exposure and white balance changes, which is nice. Shooting action through an EVF is not something I've tried but apparently it's an acquired taste.

Some weather sealing is available with Fuji and Olympus, and Panasonic is doing lenses so they must have one I don't know about I think only Fuji has some sealed primes, the poor DA* 55 is mighty lonely in the Pentax stable..

Video is the 'big deal' that mirrorless makes easier. If you seek video features the mirrorless world is more thoroughly integrated - the GH series has more video functions than stills if you go by the marketing and ownership!
05-29-2016, 08:54 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Both kinds of cameras have their pros and cons.

I think life is too short to stick with just one camera, i've gone from the K3 (still have) to the Sony A7r2. I feel like having tried a different kind of camera, that its given me a better appreciation of photography in general. Part of that is due to if you're going to take advantage of the low weight of the Sony mirrorless bodies, the best way of doing that is using their smaller primes. The combination of lightweight/small body with small but fast primes results in a low-light monster. Love it.

But i miss the things that Pentax does well: to name a few:
a. sonic cleaning of the sensor works on the Pentax DSLRs, doesn't work well on Sony A7x - not sure it does anything productive
b. Automatic horizon correction - a real pp time saver
c. WR,
d. Exposure meter - Pentax has one that works and gives you a visual readout. Sony implementation is wimpy, but you do get to see "effects on" in your EVF and monitor
e. My K3 has a low light focus that is quite effective. Sony's works best with fast lenses. On the other hand, Sony's tracking is more effective than Pentax.

I disagree that the make of your camera is a religion. Try more than one and pick the one you like is my advice.