Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-21-2008, 05:28 PM   #46

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sewebster Quote
Mine just all say "White Balance: Auto" in the EXIF. This is RAW converted to JPG with Lightroom (without adjusting WB) then read using "Exif Viewer" on a Mac.

Maybe I don't know what I'm doing.
sewebster - I use PhotoMe to see the extended EXIF data, and there is a ton of it. The actual WB setting selected is shown in there under Manufacturer Notes - White Balance Mode.

07-21-2008, 07:33 PM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by JN99 Quote
I might resign myself to some similar form of tweaking as well, but it seems to me you should be able to get more accurate results without doing so.

Look at the shots in this link and compare the Canon 40D shots to the K200D. There is an obvious green/blue cast to the K200 shot of the B&W billboard, and the image just below is much more orange in the K200 example than the red shown from the 40D. Now I have no idea what those are supposed to look like, but it certainly shows a tendency of the K200D to push too much yellow and green to my eyes.
Maybe you just prefer the "look" of the Canon? Just as people here prefer the "look" of Pentax, I'm sure there are many others that prefer the Canon look. If you like other aspects of the Pentax over the Canon, then you should be able to set up the K200D to match the look you desire. However, if it's the look you're after, maybe you should just go for the Canon. They're all good cameras, and if you're not happy with the shots you take, then you won't use the camera and you won't enjoy photography. I'm not trying to run you off. I want Pentax to have a large user base, but only if those people are happy. I don't understand people that use a product exclusively, only to bash it at every turn (not saying you're one of those types).

BTW, I didn't think the colors in your original shot were that bad, but (1) I wasn't there, and (2) I prefer "well saturated" shots. YMMV.
07-22-2008, 10:12 AM   #48

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rfortson Quote
Maybe you just prefer the "look" of the Canon? Just as people here prefer the "look" of Pentax, I'm sure there are many others that prefer the Canon look. If you like other aspects of the Pentax over the Canon, then you should be able to set up the K200D to match the look you desire. However, if it's the look you're after, maybe you should just go for the Canon. They're all good cameras, and if you're not happy with the shots you take, then you won't use the camera and you won't enjoy photography. I'm not trying to run you off. I want Pentax to have a large user base, but only if those people are happy. I don't understand people that use a product exclusively, only to bash it at every turn (not saying you're one of those types).

BTW, I didn't think the colors in your original shot were that bad, but (1) I wasn't there, and (2) I prefer "well saturated" shots. YMMV.
It's not so much about which I prefer as much as it is about accuracy. Before running into apparent problems I prefered, and thus purchased the K200D. I'm, still surprised how few comments there have been with regards to the color innaccuracy that is plainly evident in the first shots, and is clearly demonstrated in the utility tower shots above. That just doesn't seem to me to be normal for the dfault settings of any camera.

To me, that just looks like a camera that is flawed/defective - it has to be tweaked away from default settings to avoid terrible results (and they really are terrible). I just don't think that is, or should be normal, but trying to determne that is why I began this thread in the first place.
07-22-2008, 10:34 AM   #49
Veteran Member

To be fair the shots of the siding looked exactly as you described it to my eyes. The outdoor shots I could really see issues where the AWB selected the Indoor/Flourescent White setting but not so much with the tower shot. For me, I wasn't there and the color did look natural. If anything I think the Xsi and the neutral settings on the K20D look washed out to me.

07-22-2008, 11:09 AM   #50

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MrApollinax Quote
To be fair the shots of the siding looked exactly as you described it to my eyes. The outdoor shots I could really see issues where the AWB selected the Indoor/Flourescent White setting but not so much with the tower shot. For me, I wasn't there and the color did look natural. If anything I think the Xsi and the neutral settings on the K20D look washed out to me.
It is difficult when you cannot see the original subject matter to be sure. But my last posts of the tower shots, whether they appear washed out or not are *remarkably* accurate in the grass color. The mustard-yellow color of the first shot was a big concern because the scene simply looks nothing like that.

Imagine a shot of a nice sandy beach turning out yellow, that certainly would not look natural and that's a pretty close comparison because the grass is really a sandy biege color, not yellow at all.
07-22-2008, 11:49 AM   #51
Veteran Member

No worries JN99, but keep in mind that we were posting help based off of nothing to compare it to. You posted pictures saying what you saw as wrong and we were trying to help you find a solution without seeing with our eyes why you thought it was wrong. Again "to me" your tower shots looked okay. However you were expecting something else that I did not have any reference to. That is all I was trying to say.
07-22-2008, 11:59 AM   #52

Original Poster
Yep, and I am posting requests for information by trying as best I can to both describe and show the problem, neither of which is easy for the resons you mention.

I think it's safe to say the best examnple I can show is with the 3 tower shots. My only concern at this point, as I have the camera dialed in to produce much more accurate results, is is this normal? Should the camera be producing the results it does at default settings? I'm perfectly happy to adjust the camera if that's what is needed but only if it is normal and I am not compensating for or otherwise masking some sort of defect.

Thanks to everyone for all the comments, replies, feedback, etc. I really do like the camera and I definately want to keep it - I just want to be sure I don't have a defective one.
07-22-2008, 12:11 PM   #53
Veteran Member

I do not have a K200D. I do have a K100D and by default all settings are at "0" the K200D defaults to a "bright" setting by default which I think bumps up sharpness and saturation for JPEG output only. I think if you took your shots in RAW format and then export them in a RAW developer you would have had the color rendition you were expecting.

07-22-2008, 12:29 PM   #54
Veteran Member

My gx-10 gets the white balance perfect (well, close enough to perfect) in pretty much every shot I've taken. GX-10's have a completely different jpeg processor however they do have the same sensor.
07-22-2008, 12:39 PM   #55
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JN99 Quote
Yep, and I am posting requests for information by trying as best I can to both describe and show the problem, neither of which is easy for the resons you mention.

I think it's safe to say the best examnple I can show is with the 3 tower shots. My only concern at this point, as I have the camera dialed in to produce much more accurate results, is is this normal? Should the camera be producing the results it does at default settings? I'm perfectly happy to adjust the camera if that's what is needed but only if it is normal and I am not compensating for or otherwise masking some sort of defect.

Thanks to everyone for all the comments, replies, feedback, etc. I really do like the camera and I definately want to keep it - I just want to be sure I don't have a defective one.

The "default" settings are just some engineer's guess at what the general market wants. The K20D even has different "default/factory" settings depending on where you buy it. That's why there's so much adjustability built into these cameras. So, if you've found settings that appeal to you, then I'd say you're set! Now, go take pictures with those settings.
07-22-2008, 12:58 PM   #56
Veteran Member

I finally got PhotoME to work on my mac (under wine, it sort of works).

It seems that it almost always chooses "Auto (Daylight)," but there are definately times where it selects "Auto (White Fluorescent)" when I am outside.

This is presumably "wrong," BUT I don't know if it matters, since I shoot RAW (this means that I can properly adjust, but perhaps also that the choice the camera makes is entirely ignored in my workflow). AND maybe the lighting conditions were such that the correct white balance was close to what you'd need for "white fluorescent."

I've never noticed any systematic white balance problems with what I do, though I haven't really been trying to test for supreme accuracy. Perhaps this doesn't affect me due to shooting RAW and then using Lightroom, not sure.
07-22-2008, 01:08 PM   #57
Veteran Member

Many colour problems can be traced to monitor settings...have you tried getting any shots printed?
07-22-2008, 02:32 PM   #58
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bowdish67 Quote
Jodokast96,

As some on this forum will know, I have issues with the way my camera captures purple as blue. After reading your post, I didn't think your post would help my problem. It didn't make sense to me that you would add more blue to make purple but after playing with photoshop, it's amazing. Things that were too blue turned more purple by adding blue hue. Hmmm, interesting.

Now to do this with the camera and experiment. When you change the blue in your WB, does that affect only the custom WB or all the preset settings also?
Each individual preset and the custom WB can be adjusted independently.
07-22-2008, 06:09 PM   #59
Veteran Member

Heh, I had to try to change the "look" on a K10D to be like a Nikon today. I just boosted yellow and sharpness and the person I had to do it for was pleased that the results were just like her friend's D40....
07-29-2008, 11:50 PM   #60
Inactive Account

Pentax k220d color

I bought the Pentax k220d this past May and have been very pleased with the color reproduction. I wonder if your model is defective. I have played around with the white balance quite a bit, and while this, of course, affects color renditions, the camera does not reproduce colors that are just plain inaccurate. I am very pleased with my camera. I have also read many reviews of the camera and none I have seen have noted color accuracy problems. I think it must be a problem with that particular camera.