Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-15-2008, 10:51 AM   #1

New K200D - terrible color

I just recently purchased a K200D for my first DSLR and got a chance to take a few shots this weekend. I found that anything with green in the photo ends up affecting the entire color spectrum, resulting in a green cast across the entire image.

Several of the shots were taken in a wooded area and the color is absolutely horrible - everything looks green and the greens look too yellow and very unatural. My P&S did a far better job and I'm not sure why the K200D is pushing green like this.

Is this the result of the in-camera processing (all shots in jpeg)? Is there something I need to or can do to correct this? I have not noticed it in other photos with the camera that don't have green in them, or have very little; they seem to reproduce color pretty faithfully.

Sorry, I don't have anywhere to post a sample but know that it would help. I'm just hoping this is typical and easily compensated for somehow.

Here are a few sample images:

I don't recall the settings for each, but AUTO WB was used for all. I was using Auto, Av, and scene modes just experimenting. In any case, note the greenish cast on the tree stump of the first shot, and the grass of the second- not how they should look.

Last edited by JN99; 07-15-2008 at 08:30 PM.
07-15-2008, 10:56 AM   #2
Veteran Member

please post pictures so we can understand the severity of your problem.

because it is either a faulty sensor, or just a case of setting up the correct white balance.
07-15-2008, 11:10 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by JN99 Quote
Sorry, I don't have anywhere to post a sample but know that it would help. I'm just hoping this is typical and easily compensated for somehow.
Set up a free account in Photobucket or Picassa, and post the link.

I have found that oe of my lenses (a 30 years old beauty) can fool the auto white balance sensor when the main part of the frame is a body of water. It results in a purple cast. Easily corrected, either by selecting the proper white balance setting, or by compensating after the shot.
07-15-2008, 12:28 PM   #4
Veteran Member

The default mode of K200D is Bright. Try to change it to Natural. Hit the FN botton and them hit the OK button. Then use the left/Right arrows to chamge the mode. As you chage it, the last picture that you took will show up and as you make the changes it shows you how the colors are changing on the last picture. As you you through different modes, you can hit the down arrow key and it will allow you to change saturation, Hue and other settings for each mode. You may want to play with the Hue settings a little bit.

07-15-2008, 01:12 PM   #5
Forum Member

Does your lens have the green Pentax ring around it? Green ring=green pictures
07-15-2008, 03:19 PM   #6

Original Poster
Here are a couple more I took today for comparison with my old P&S (Panasonic FZ5). Both cameras were set to use aperture priority and auto WB. It is alarming to say the least just how bad the K200D is - the color is way off while the FZ5 is remarkably accurate. Am I missing something here? This just seems such a poor result from the K200D that I wonder if it isn't defective. It actually looks like it's a yellow cast not a green cast.

First up, a shot of the siding from my house

K200D:

FZ5:

And the siding with trim (which is kind of a dark olive green to begin)

K200D:

FZ5:

Last edited by JN99; 07-15-2008 at 08:32 PM.
07-15-2008, 04:59 PM   #7

Original Poster
I'm not sure what's going on with the photos in this thread now; they were all displaying fine before.

I played around some more with the settings, esp. white balance but am still unable to get a satisfactory result out of the camera. No matter what I do it will not capture colors nearly as accurately as my FZ5, which to me just points to something being defective with my K200D.

I have only today and tomorrow to request an RMA, which unfortunately I think I'm going to have to do but the question is return or exchange? If this is normal for the camera I definitely don't want another... I cannot see this being normal though as the inaccurate color is there in almost every shot and it's quite obvious even with out the comparison shots from another camera.

Last edited by JN99; 07-15-2008 at 05:12 PM.
07-15-2008, 05:28 PM   #8
MJB

No, what you are reporting isn't normal for the K200D. Mine produces great pictures with natural colors. Try resetting all your settings to the factory originals and see if that helps(page 219 in the manual). Then try setting your white balance to auto and take a few more photo's and evaluate them. Hope you have better luck, but as with everything else, now and then a lemon is produced.

Have a great day.
07-15-2008, 05:59 PM   #9

Original Poster
No, I don't believe it can be normal, the color is just too off to be acceptable to anyone. Even my wife noticed it and it's the kind of thing that would have to be pretty dramatic for that to happen.

I'd love to hear some more folks weigh in and hopefully you can see the images above but several are not displaying now for me for some reason.
07-15-2008, 06:06 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JN99 Quote
No, I don't believe it can be normal, the color is just too off to be acceptable to anyone. Even my wife noticed it and it's the kind of thing that would have to be pretty dramatic for that to happen.

I'd love to hear some more folks weigh in and hopefully you can see the images above but several are not displaying now for me for some reason.
None of your pictures are displaying for me.
07-15-2008, 06:11 PM   #11
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
None of your pictures are displaying for me.
Yeah YEah.. Me too... Cannot see anything attached picture.
07-15-2008, 06:16 PM   #12
Pentaxian

No picture. Don't know what you have done, but resize your jpg to about 800 or 900 pixels wide. Use the "manage attachments" below the text box to select and upload an image or two. Then, use the paperclip symbol above the text box to insert images into the text box.
07-15-2008, 06:43 PM   #13

Just got my 20 a few days ago, I'll keep ya posted if I have problems.
07-15-2008, 08:01 PM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
No picture. Don't know what you have done, but resize your jpg to about 800 or 900 pixels wide. Use the "manage attachments" below the text box to select and upload an image or two. Then, use the paperclip symbol above the text box to insert images into the text box.
All I've done is linked from Picassa and they were all displaying fine this morning, and display fine if you type the URL in directly so I don't know why they won't as links here. All images are already downsized; I think the max here is about 600 pixels wide

Edit: I reposted linking the worst examples only from photobucket instead.

Last edited by JN99; 07-15-2008 at 08:36 PM.
07-15-2008, 08:19 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter

No pictures in Firefox or IE. IE at least shows that there is supposed to be something there. Also no URLs in your posts. Sorry, but I'll probably not look at this thread again.