Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-16-2008, 03:06 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I see them,
the trim looks olive green in the k200 pic on my monitor, maybe your monitor is off(unless your house is a peachy pink color)

07-16-2008, 04:05 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Sorry to say they look fine to me.
07-16-2008, 04:20 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Yes, its terrible. It seems that some Auto WB evils are at work!

You can't compare the AWB of P&S/Prosumer to DSLR anyway as the working principles are different. Still, your posted photos don't really look good.
07-16-2008, 04:29 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by borno Quote
I see them,
the trim looks olive green in the k200 pic on my monitor, maybe your monitor is off(unless your house is a peachy pink color)
I second these observations.

07-16-2008, 08:00 AM   #20

Original Poster
Neither is completely accurate but on my monitor at least the FZ5 is pretty close while the K200 is way off, which may not be apparent unless you know how they should look. There is a definite yellow/green tinge to almost all my K200 photos and it is apparent more in some shots than others but I don't want to flood the board with more pictures of the problem. Thanks for the replies.
07-16-2008, 08:02 AM   #21
Forum Member

I'm having issues also

Flickr: Discussing Incorrect colors? in Pentax K200D

JN99 I have a thread going on this forum and on flickr about having trouble with purple. It is overly saturated and I have also noticed grasses looking more yellowish than green. Anyway, I have included the link to the flickr discussion where I have some examples of the purple problem. As with your point and shoot, my panasonic TZ3 pictures are spot on for true life color - they are shown side by side with the 200d pictures for comparison.

I see you are in Redmond, I'm in Bellevue. I have a couple of theories...either they are sending the lemons to Washington State or the AWB doesn't like Washington light.
07-16-2008, 08:21 AM   #22
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Do the colors render properly if you set the WB as to lighting conditions rather than Auto?

07-16-2008, 08:23 AM   #23

Original Poster
bowdish67 - thanks for your reply. My research led me to your flickr thread and I have seen the photos there and was looking closely for any hint of a similar problem.

My problem actually started with a quick glance at a shot on the K200 LCD - a beehive in a forest of trees. It was gray but in the shot come out completely green. Later when I transferred the remainder of the images to my laptop, I noticed a green cast to many of the photos (such as the stump posted above in this thread) and the yollow tinge to many of the greens.

That lead me to take the photos around the house yesterday and no matter what I changed, (I tried several wb settings including a few with manual) I could not get rid of the yellow cast. My neighbor's house is a burgundy color and shots of her house actually look almost orange, again the color just isn't even close.
07-16-2008, 08:24 AM   #24

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Do the colors render properly if you set the WB as to lighting conditions rather than Auto?
No, unfortunately they do not. I tried this yesterday and while the results were different the colors are still inaccurate.
07-16-2008, 08:28 AM   #25
Veteran Member

I actually think it is too much yellow that is creating this "green" look over blues especially.

Something is not right IMHO, i'd at least take it to the store and compare it with another 200D.
07-16-2008, 08:40 AM   #26
Veteran Member

I'm looking at the EXIF data for your pictures.

Of the two pictures of your house I see that Auto WB opted to use the "White Flourescent" settings as well as the picture of the stump. The picture of the grass and power lines AWB opted to use the "Daylight" setting. If you manually WB do the images render correctly? It looks like Contrast and Sharpness are bumped up on the camera. Is this correct?
07-16-2008, 08:43 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JN99 Quote
And the siding with trim (which is kind of a dark olive green to begin)

K200D:

FZ5:
Hmm, on my calibrated monitor I can see that trim is olive green in K200D picture. In FZ5 picture trim is something between brown and grey.

Colours of your landscape photo also doesn't look off to me...
07-16-2008, 08:44 AM   #28
Forum Member

Green Bee Hives

Your issues do definitely seem worse than mine...I can at least PP the problem out to some extent. I wish I could help but, I've also tried resetting everything and using the 'natural' setting and also played with other wb settings outside of AWB. I really haven't had any luck. I really like Alfisti's idea of going to a store to compare colors with a version there. I know Camera's West in Bellevue carries the K200d. I may try the same thing. Although, it really sounds like it's a bigger problem than a setting...bee hives really shouldn't be green.

I really really want love my Pentax...especially since I've already invested in a DA18-250 and a 50mm f1.4 but, the color thing and the fact that there is a bunch of very noticable dust under the lcd screen give me pause about my long term love affair with this camera.
07-16-2008, 08:46 AM   #29

Original Poster
Well the camera is going back today and a new one is on its way to me. I will post some shots with the new camera once it arrives, which will probably be early next week.

I agree on the yellow comment, at first I thought it was a green problem but the more I look at shots the more it seems like looking through a yellow filter. And, as I mentioned, my wife walked up took one look and said "that looks all yellowy-green" so for her to notice something is definitely amiss.
07-16-2008, 08:52 AM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Edvinas Quote
Hmm, on my calibrated monitor I can see that trim is olive green in K200D picture. In FZ5 picture trim is something between brown and grey.

Colours of your landscape photo also doesn't look off to me...
+1 from me as well