Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-12-2007, 02:59 PM   #1
Forum Member

Pentax ist*DS - Bad rotary dial

I have a ist*DS that is about a year and a half old. Recently the rotary dial (used to set aperature, shutter speed, and zoom in during playback mode) has gone on the fritz. Sometimes it does not respond at all. Sometimes it adjusts the current setting in the wrong direction (e.g. increases aperature when clicked in the decrease direction).

The camera has not been dropped or subjected to any unusual conditions. I called the local camera store and they said that it would probably be around $250 to repair it. I can get a new k100d body for $600 so I'm not sure I want to pay $250 for a repair.

I have a few of questions:

- Has anybody else experienced this problem? If so what was the underlaying issue ( e.g dirty contacts on the dial, faulty electronic, etc.)?

- Can / should I risk trying to disassemble the body enough to get to the contacts for the dial and clean them myself (assuming dirt is the issue) ?

- Other than image stablization, how does the K100d compare with the ist*DS. I have the impression that they are essentially the exact same camera.

Thanks,

Tony

02-12-2007, 03:05 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Mine started doing the same thing after about the same period of time.

I haven't come up with a solution, though.
02-12-2007, 03:10 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by carpents Quote
Mine started doing the same thing after about the same period of time.

I haven't come up with a solution, though.
Carpents,

Is the problem getting worse over time? At this point it is mostly just annoying, although I have missed a few shots because of the time it takes to set the aperature as it randomly bounces from one setiing to another. If it gets worse or goes out completely the camera will be pretty much worthless to me.
02-12-2007, 03:55 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I'm not really sure. I don't know if I noticed it less before because I didn't have another camera to use.

The wheel still works, though, and has been doing it for the last several months, probably since September.

(PS - The biggest difference between the DS and the K100 to me is the pentaprism (D/DS/K10) vs. pentamirror (DL/K100) - it is noticeable.)

02-12-2007, 04:41 PM   #5
roy
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
i've noticed it ocassionally after about 2 years. it always responds but erratically at times. i've just wrote it off as a OS problem. it's not bad and does not bother me.
03-15-2007, 08:41 AM   #6

I've had the same problem for about 6 months, and it's a bit of a pain. Sometimes it's not too bad, but it's pretty inconvenient randomly spinning the dial hoping that the right result pops up. Any had this repaired by Pentax?

Thanks

Scott
03-15-2007, 09:00 AM   #7
Veteran Member

My camera repair guy says that it is just dirty. Taking it apart and cleaning it will solve it.

03-15-2007, 07:36 PM   #8

I must admit that mine plays around from time to time just like some of the other guys mention.

Doesn't always do it so I just live with it.

On a side issue, my built in flash button stopped working about 6 months ago. As I either don't use flash at all, or I use my external flash, I have never bothered to get this fixed.
03-15-2007, 08:07 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It looks like I'm odd man out here. I've had the DS since May of 2005 and have had no problems with it.
I would say that the biggest difference between the two cameras (besides the SR) is the viewfinder on the DS is markedly brighter than the K100D. I was thinking of "upgrading" (actually more like "side grading") to the K100D for the SR, but when I tried one out the much dimmer viewfinder was a deal breaker for me. But everybody is different in that regard, go try one out and see for yourself.

NaCl(like all major interface points the VF is a highly subjective rating point)H2O
03-16-2007, 02:48 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
It looks like I'm odd man out here. I've had the DS since May of 2005 and have had no problems with it.
I would say that the biggest difference between the two cameras (besides the SR) is the viewfinder on the DS is markedly brighter than the K100D. I was thinking of "upgrading" (actually more like "side grading") to the K100D for the SR, but when I tried one out the much dimmer viewfinder was a deal breaker for me. But everybody is different in that regard, go try one out and see for yourself.

NaCl(like all major interface points the VF is a highly subjective rating point)H2O
Owned my Ds for 2y 2m - no problems, so you're not alone. The viewfinder and smaller buffer were the two biggest differences to the 100D for me.
03-16-2007, 03:30 AM   #11

No problems here too with my DS from end 2004 (and it endured a lot).
Probably some dirt/moist on the contacts, maybe canned air will help. Removing the top of the camera is an easy job too.
I would say that the biggest difference between the two cameras (besides the SR) is the viewfinder on the DS is markedly brighter than the K100D.
That's odd, I think the VF of the K100D is much brighter (the focus screen is different). But it is smaller, maybe that's why it looked less bright..
03-16-2007, 04:11 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Menno Quote
Probably some dirt/moist on the contacts, maybe canned air will help. Removing the top of the camera is an easy job too.

That's odd, I think the VF of the K100D is much brighter (the focus screen is different). But it is smaller, maybe that's why it looked less bright..
I tried one out at Adorama which is a kinda dim place. Looked thru the viewfinder and it seemed both smaller and darker to me. I had my DS with me and there was such a difference between the two that I decided to stick with the DS. I certainly didn't do any quantitative measurments. Didn't like it, end of story. It funny but others have said the same as you, maybe Adorama had a bad demo, but you'd think they would want the best sample for a demo.

NaCl(from now on I'll try to remember to clarify my subjective statements)H2O
03-20-2007, 08:38 AM   #13

[QUOTE=Menno;36997]No problems here too with my DS from end 2004 (and it endured a lot).

It happens frequently enough with me that it's a pain.
Is removing the top a pretty straight ahead operation? I'd rather try to clean the dial myself rather than send it to pentax.

Thanks!

Scott
03-20-2007, 08:42 AM   #14
Veteran Member

[QUOTE=scottya;38487]
QuoteOriginally posted by Menno Quote

It happens frequently enough with me that it's a pain.
Is removing the top a pretty straight ahead operation? I'd rather try to clean the dial myself rather than send it to pentax.

Thanks!

Scott
If you plan to use canned air, be very careful not to shake or tip the can such that the liquid gets sprayed out. Use the straw to direct the airflow. I got that liquid stuff on some computer parts and they didn't react so well.