Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-05-2016, 11:28 AM   #16
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
what I really like to see in the viewfinder is what I originally learned to use on an SLR, an all microprism dot, no split image prism.
Center only microprism screens are available, though I would caution that the microprism sensitivity (ability to detect out-of-focus) is somewhat less than a split image and is in the same range as the center column PDAF points on the K-3.

Steve

06-05-2016, 11:34 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

As a variant on the third suggestion by Steve, I've used enlarged LV with focus peaking to check AF accuracy, on the assumption that focus peaking, derived from the sensor, will always be as accurate as it is possible to get. I generally test both directions:1) use focus peaking, then AF to see if the focus shifts; 2) use AF, then see if focus peaking is illuminated. If they don't agree, change the AF adjust until they do.
03-29-2017, 04:19 AM   #18

Photos: Gallery
So what are 3rd party focusing screens available on the market today? KatzEye is closed, FocusingScreen.com asks too much money in my opinion. What could you recommend?
03-29-2017, 05:11 AM - 1 Like   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The prices I see on focusingscreen.com seem lower than the katzeye prices were.

03-29-2017, 05:54 PM - 1 Like   #20
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ViseMoD Quote
So what are 3rd party focusing screens available on the market today? KatzEye is closed, FocusingScreen.com asks too much money in my opinion. What could you recommend?
You might want to try cutting down your own screen. A Nikon K3 screen (originally spec'd for the FM3A) is just under $40 new at B&H. Alternatively, you could find a broken film body and scavenge a screen from that.

DIY Precision Focus Screen - PentaxForums.com

Steve
04-14-2017, 01:21 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ViseMoD Quote
As mentioned there a few DIY routes you can take but in my opinion not a sure bet and time spent sourcing, modifying and fiddling comes out to more than the FS.com purchase. I had a Katzeye in my K-5 and K-7 - I honestly can't recall how much it cost but it seems it was very comparable to the FocusingScreen.com prices.

In my K-3 I have an S-Type w/ grid from them, purchased in March of 2014 for $82.54 USD. The current price is $83.25. Not bad at all.

The S-Type i hugely prefer over the Katzeye split-prism I had. It's matte but for the grid but it transformed shooting with fast lenses on the K-3. My hit rate for nailing manual focus on a 35/2.0 or 50/1.2 increased by probably 3-fold or better. I hit more often than I miss now, and it's all because of the screen - the difference was immediate. That was easily worth the $100 shipped I spent three years ago. Just my 2 cents.