Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-04-2016, 01:52 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Shutter count and manufacture date "UNKNOWN"?

I'm attempting to determine the shutter count on my K-30. I'm taking a 16M Jpeg. When I upload it to the Pentax shutter count page the shutter count and manufacture date is shown as "UNKNOWN". Why is this? Is there a setting that must be changed in the camera?

06-04-2016, 02:02 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That just means that the expected exif field for shutter count was not found. Has the file been altered at all? Also, I'd browse through the full list of metadata to see something along the lines of "ShutterCount" is present.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-04-2016, 02:15 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Adam. I'm using this site: Check Camera Shutter Count and Manufacture Date

Lots of other data is available.

Attached is the image and the exif data shown.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo   
06-04-2016, 02:58 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Try PhotoMe - it's a free download, that extracts everything - with labels.After downloading, click on it to start, then drag your image into it and it provides everything (and the kitchen sink) back in a nice table...

06-04-2016, 03:48 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks interested_observer. Do you know if PhotoME works with OS X?

Could there be a problem with my camera as to why the data isn't showing in the Pentax forum shutter counter check?
06-04-2016, 03:53 PM   #6
Imp
Pentaxian

There are also other online shutter count check websites, just google some and see if they work
06-04-2016, 04:09 PM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Newtophotos Quote
Thanks Adam. I'm using this site: Check Camera Shutter Count and Manufacture Date

Lots of other data is available.

Attached is the image and the exif data shown.
It looks like much of the original EXIF data has been stripped from that file. It's also been processed in a different program (Google Photos?), which most likely stripped the metadata that it does not support.

Try uploading a photo straight from your camera's SD card.

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-04-2016, 04:59 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
It looks like much of the original EXIF data has been stripped from that file. It's also been processed in a different program (Google Photos?), which most likely stripped the metadata that it does not support.

Try uploading a photo straight from your camera's SD card.
Thanks Adam. This photo was uploaded directly from my SD card. I took the photo, put the SD card in my Mac, saved it, and tried to use the shutter count feature here. Maybe it is something wrong with my computer?

I tried my other K-30 and it produces the same results. Next step: try a different SD card

Last edited by Newtophotos; 06-04-2016 at 05:05 PM.
06-04-2016, 05:01 PM   #9
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Newtophotos Quote
saved it,
This is probably what stripped the metadata. All you need to do is put the SD card in, then open the shutter checker and select to the file on your card. If you import or involve any library software, that software may strip your metadata, which appears to be the case here.

Adam

06-04-2016, 06:10 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
After downloading, click on it to start, then drag your image into it and it provides everything (and the kitchen sink) back in a nice table...
Where exactly does it tell you the number of accutations?
06-04-2016, 09:13 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Try PhotoMe - it's a free download, that extracts everything - with labels.After downloading, click on it to start, then drag your image into it and it provides everything (and the kitchen sink) back in a nice table...

PhotoMe is great software, but does not work on Mac (might work if you use WINE, but probably not worth the effort). Since the OP mentioned OS X, he/she might want to try exiftool instead - multi-platform solution for reading (and adjusting) exif data.

ExifTool by Phil Harvey

OK - I just checked, and actually PhotoMe is easy to install under Wine with Mac OS X, and appears to work just fine...

Last edited by mole; 06-04-2016 at 10:23 PM.
06-04-2016, 09:40 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Where exactly does it tell you the number of accutations?
After you drag the image into PhotoMe, down at the bottom of the frame there is a "find" box. Just type in the word shutter and it will display all the items with shutter in the label - including the shutter count. Or alternately, you could scroll down field by field looking for the field labeled shutter count.

06-05-2016, 12:11 AM   #13
Pentaxian

there is a "find" box

Well that find box has proved to be very elusive!

And I see from the Nikon example that if you clik "manufacturers notes" and scroll down theres a shutter count segment.

Only problem is that when I put an image into it theres no "find" box and the "manufacurers notes " box isn't there either? ? ?

Any idea what I'm doing wrong?
06-05-2016, 08:30 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Well that find box has proved to be very elusive!

And I see from the Nikon example that if you clik "manufacturers notes" and scroll down theres a shutter count segment.

Only problem is that when I put an image into it theres no "find" box and the "manufacurers notes " box isn't there either? ? ?

Any idea what I'm doing wrong?
Morning! Well, let's see.... You probably are not doing anything wrong.. The version I have on my desk top is not the newest (Version 0.79R17 - Build 856 found by clicking Settings (under Files) on the right side, then clicking on About PhotoMe). So, I went the the PhotoMe webpage, and it has some screen shots in it. I click on the actual screen shots, which enlarged them, and here is one of them....

Down at the bottom of the entire screen is still a "Find" box.... So, if you put your mouse on top of the this X, then ever so slightly move it up in to the image of the PhotoMe display, you will be right on top of the "Find" box....

Going to another page on the site, I do see a couple of the sample screenshots that do not contain the "Find" box. How this happens, I don't know (the third and fourth rows). I went through the settings and found nothing that would take it away.
06-05-2016, 09:43 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Thankyou...I think I downloaded a different version.will retry.