Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
06-06-2016, 02:00 AM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
wow, one pentax camera that has a built in viewfinder blind, a feature that would actually have made sense to have on the Pentax LX.

06-06-2016, 04:46 AM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
I too, was most annoyed at this. Nikon cameras especially the high end ones always have this feature. I don't think pentax has ever had a camera with a built in viewfinder blind.
K2DMD
06-06-2016, 05:59 AM   #33
Veteran Member

wow, one pentax camera that has a built in viewfinder blind, a feature that would actually have made sense to have on the Pentax LX.
Yes, the K2DMD and ESII both have viewfinder blinds. The LX does not need one as automatic exposure is metered off the film during actual exposure. The mirror is up and serves as a viewfinder blind. (I've shot with all three recently.)

On cameras without blinds, I often just cup my hand over the viewfinder when I fire the shutter.

Note that mirrorless cameras don't need viewfinder blinds.
06-06-2016, 09:07 AM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

a feature that would actually have made sense to have on the Pentax LX.
And on the K-1, given its stated niche as a 'field camera'. One of those things that 95% of users would have no use for but very important for those that need it.

Still looking for @WPRESTO gadget on the internet, but so far I have found nothing even close. Lot's of posts and blogs from Canon and Nikon users that wish their cameras had one but nothing that actually solves the problem, except the already mentioned gaffers tape

06-06-2016, 09:42 AM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by John Poirier Quote
The mirror is up and serves as a viewfinder blind
Nice thought, but there is always some amount of light leaking that will appear even if the mirror is up.The viewfinder blind is typically more effective are reducing this issue, if they weren't Pentax wouldn't provide them with new cameras in the first place yes?
06-06-2016, 09:58 AM   #36

if they weren't Pentax wouldn't provide them with new cameras in the first place yes?
Not all the Pentax DSLRs included the blind in the package although it was still listed as an accessory.
06-06-2016, 10:25 AM   #37
Veteran Member

Nice thought, but there is always some amount of light leaking that will appear even if the mirror is up.The viewfinder blind is typically more effective are reducing this issue, if they weren't Pentax wouldn't provide them with new cameras in the first place yes?
The light leakage you are hypothesizing is something that I have rarely encountered in over 40 years of photography, most of that as a professional. i have seen it occasionally on cameras with defective mirror mechanisms or deteriorating light seals.

I have actually used LXs extensively with no problems with light leakage. That is hands-on experience, not a hypothesis. If you happen to have a camera body where experience demonstrates that this is an issue, yes a viewfinder blind of some sort is useful.

I will also point out that viewfinder blinds are useful in preventing light entering the viewfinder from causing metering errors when the camera is in automatic mode and the photographer's eye/face is not shading the viewfinder- for example, on a tripod with cable or self-timer.

06-06-2016, 11:41 AM   #38
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
And on the K-1, given its stated niche as a 'field camera'. One of those things that 95% of users would have no use for but very important for those that need it.

Still looking for @WPRESTO gadget on the internet, but so far I have found nothing even close. Lot's of posts and blogs from Canon and Nikon users that wish their cameras had one but nothing that actually solves the problem, except the already mentioned gaffers tape
Don't think you'll have much luck finding one. It was probably a "generic" accessory when made, cheap and fragile, so hardly worth offering on EBAY if anyone but me still has one.
06-06-2016, 12:01 PM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
It was probably a "generic" accessory when made, cheap and fragile, so hardly worth offering on EBAY if anyone but me still has one.
I don't know, there is some really strange stuff on ebay I think we should find someone with a 3-d printer and go into business with these
06-06-2016, 12:10 PM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by turff Quote
One thing I was really hoping for on the new K1 was a built in viewfinder blind, but alas, the viewfinder cover that has been included with many past Pentax cameras was again included to serve this purpose.
+1

one of the very few "pro" features missing from the Pentax K-3/K-1 line.

Michael
06-06-2016, 04:52 PM   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The light leakage you are hypothesizing is something that I have rarely encountered in over 40 years of photography, most of that as a professional.
Light leaks aren't a hypothetical possibility, with certain camera models I have worked with they are a very real issue. Viewfinder light leaks are most problematic when using Dark ND during daylight hours, narrow bandpass IR filters and having bright light sources behind you when doing night landscape photography.

I have actually used LXs extensively with no problems with light leakage. That is hands-on experience, not a hypothesis. If you happen to have a camera body where experience demonstrates that this is an issue, yes a viewfinder blind of some sort is useful.
Yes, the Pentax LX when properly maintained has excellent light sealing - but not all cameras in the industry are like the pentax LX. And I have used cameras from just about every major manufacturer out there....and there are some real disasters out there.
05-15-2019, 03:22 PM   #42

Most or all 35mm or digital SLRs have a built-in viewfinder blind that activates automatically when you take a picture. It is the mirror in combination with light seal foam around the ground glass.

If you look at the ground glass inside the camera, it typically will have light seal foam around it so that when the mirror flips up, it hits the foam. This serves two purposes: it reduces mirror slap vibrations so that a mirror lockup or mirror prefire feature may not be not needed in the camera, and it works in conjunction with the mirror to make a light-tight seal around ground glass, blocking stray light from the viewfinder window from reaching the meter or film.

A viewfinder shutter at the viewfinder window might be needed for very long exposures where the tiny amount of lighting getting through from the viewfinder might register on the film. Some black electrical tape over a rubber eye cup that slips on the viewfinder will take care of that.

A camera with crumbly or gooey light seals should be serviced to minimize the risk of any light leakage.
05-15-2019, 04:44 PM   #43
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by M2358 Quote
Most or all 35mm or digital SLRs have a built-in viewfinder blind that activates automatically when you take a picture. It is the mirror in combination with light seal foam around the ground glass.

If you look at the ground glass inside the camera, it typically will have light seal foam around it so that when the mirror flips up, it hits the foam. This serves two purposes: it reduces mirror slap vibrations so that a mirror lockup or mirror prefire feature may not be not needed in the camera, and it works in conjunction with the mirror to make a light-tight seal around ground glass, blocking stray light from the viewfinder window from reaching the meter or film.

A viewfinder shutter at the viewfinder window might be needed for very long exposures where the tiny amount of lighting getting through from the viewfinder might register on the film. Some black electrical tape over a rubber eye cup that slips on the viewfinder will take care of that.

A camera with crumbly or gooey light seals should be serviced to minimize the risk of any light leakage.
They are mainly discussing the light coming in the viewfinder and upsetting the metering when your eye is away from the eyepiece.
This light affecting long exposures by leaking past the mirror is an extra issue.
It took me a long time to figure out why my green button metering was so hit and miss till I discovered this issue that everyone of course is expected to know about.
If you doubt this issue then let the sun shine in your viewfinder and take a look at the metering.
05-15-2019, 06:51 PM   #44
Loyal Site Supporter

Light leaks aren't a hypothetical possibility, with certain camera models I have worked with they are a very real issue. Viewfinder light leaks are most problematic when using Dark ND during daylight hours, narrow bandpass IR filters and having bright light sources behind you when doing night landscape photography.

Yes, the Pentax LX when properly maintained has excellent light sealing - but not all cameras in the industry are like the pentax LX. And I have used cameras from just about every major manufacturer out there....and there are some real disasters out there.
My Fuji X-T1 was recalled because a light seal inside the body was possibly defective. It seems that when one of the rubber caps on the side of the camera was open, such as when using a cable release, there was a direct path from outside to sensor.
05-15-2019, 07:16 PM   #45
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by GUB Quote
This light affecting long exposures by leaking past the mirror is an extra issue.
...and very real. Very few cameras have features to prevent light leaks past the raised mirror from the viewfinder. A quick check is to do something like the following:
  • In M mode, set:
    • Shutter = 30s
    • Aperture = f/2.8
    • ISO = 400
  • Remove the viewfinder eyecup and attach the viewfinder shade that came with the camera. Alternatively, place a piece of light-tight tape over the viewfinder opening.
  • Put the lens cap on the front of the lens
  • Put the camera on a tripod in a darkened room
  • With the lights off, make the first of two control exposures
  • Aim a moderate strength light at the viewfinder area and make the second of two control exposures. I used the 4-element LED hiker's headlamp that I use when doing night photography with my K-3 at a distance of about eight inches.
  • Remove the shade from the viewfinder and with the light shining as in the step above, make the test exposure
The first two exposure should be uniformly dark across the frame. If the mirror is an effective blind, the third exposure will also be uniformly dark.

Steve