Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-04-2016, 02:16 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Viewfinder blind

One thing I was really hoping for on the new K1 was a built in viewfinder blind, but alas, the viewfinder cover that has been included with many past Pentax cameras was again included to serve this purpose.

There are not many instances were a blind is needed but I find myself using it enough that it is becomes a pain to switch out the eyepiece with the cover. Further, I have lost the cover on multiple occasions and am tired of purchasing new ones.

So, are there any eyepieces out there that will fit Pentax cameras that have a build in blind? I feel that it cannot be that difficult to make but I have yet to come across one. Any good DIY methods maybe?

06-04-2016, 02:26 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I searched and could not find anything. So i made my own. There is a thread here with pictures. On my phone but i will post a link later if you cannot find it.
06-04-2016, 02:31 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
When would a viewfinder blind be used?
What is the purpose?
06-04-2016, 02:36 PM   #4
Site Supporter

When you are not looking through the viewfinder light can enter which changes the metering and with long exposures can cause light streaks or fogging in the image.
There are example pics in the thread i mentioned above.

06-04-2016, 02:37 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
When would a viewfinder blind be used?
What is the purpose?
There aren't many instances where they are necessary but they mostly come in handy with long exposures during the day. I have a 10 stop and 6 stop neutral density filter which allows you take several second exposures during the day, or even longer around sunrise/sunset. When there is a bright light during a longer exposure it can actually enter the camera through the viewfinder and create artifacts on the final image. I have witnessed it a few times and compared the results with the viewfinder cover on to those when it was off and it really does make a difference.
06-04-2016, 02:50 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter

I just keep an appropriately sized piece of black gaffer tape stuck to the top of the camera (pentaprism). I hardly notice it. When I need it, it's right there.
06-04-2016, 02:58 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
That's the only thing I am missing from a Nikon world... okay and few more things but I learned to live without.
06-04-2016, 04:40 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Ok, here is the thread I mentioned above: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/172-pentax-k-3/318435-k-3-underexposes-nd-filter-2.html

Post 16 has example images of why a viewfinder cover is needed.
Post 25 has pictures of the simple viewfinder blind I made. It slips behind the OEM eye cup so no need to remove the eyepiece like with the one supplied by Pentax.

Works great on the k-3II, also works fine on the K-1 as far as fit is concerned but the articulated LCD causes problems. As in, it makes it harder to open the LCD with the viewfinder blind inserted. Not impossible, just more awkward than with the k-3. But I'm assuming the only use for this would be on a tripod so you might already have the LCD extended anyway. YMMV.

06-04-2016, 04:54 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Wow!

Quite a difference!

I found a Nikon VF cover on the ground in France that just fits on my K-50. I'll be using that next time I'm doing long exposures.
06-04-2016, 04:58 PM   #10
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
When you are not looking through the viewfinder light can enter which changes the metering and with long exposures can cause light streaks or fogging in the image.
Yep

QuoteOriginally posted by turff Quote
There aren't many instances where they are necessary but they mostly come in handy with long exposures during the day.
Yes, that would be a use case, but more commonly is needed when using exposure automation in bright conditions with slow lenses (e.g. long zoom + tc) and/or stop-down metering and/or ND filters. Light coming in through the viewfinder can severely affect exposure metering. Wide open at, say, f/2 the viewfinder contribution is relatively minor, but at f/16 is enough to bias the indicated exposure by two or more stops. With sun at my back, I have seen significant underexposure at metering apertures as wide as f/5.6.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 06-04-2016 at 05:17 PM.
06-04-2016, 04:59 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by turff Quote
One thing I was really hoping for on the new K1 was a built in viewfinder blind
I too, was most annoyed at this. Nikon cameras especially the high end ones always have this feature. I don't think pentax has ever had a camera with a built in viewfinder blind.
06-04-2016, 06:44 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

FYI: I have a little viewfinder shield from about 1990. It slides into the hotshoe and has a little rectangular cover that hinges down over the viewfinder. I'm doubt it will work on a DSLR unless the rubber eye cup is removed. If I have a chance before going on our next trip, I'll take a picture of it on one of the Pentax DSLR's and post on this thread.
06-04-2016, 08:10 PM   #13
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
FYI: I have a little viewfinder shield from about 1990. It slides into the hotshoe and has a little rectangular cover that hinges down over the viewfinder. I'm doubt it will work on a DSLR unless the rubber eye cup is removed. If I have a chance before going on our next trip, I'll take a picture of it on one of the Pentax DSLR's and post on this thread.
Please do! I would like to see how it looks because that may be a good DIY option.
06-04-2016, 08:52 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Lack of a built-in shutter probably a matter of saving space.

At least my Minolta covers have a slot on them to attach them to the neck strap.

If you wear a hat you can always hang you hat on the pentaprism and cover the eye piece that way. Minolta always had little details like that, places to store the caps for connector ports on the cable and so on.
06-04-2016, 11:05 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Pentax used to make straps that had pockets for the eyepiece blind. I hold my hand as close to the eyepiece as possible without touching the camera or use a hat like Not a Number. Anyway, as has already been mentioned, having to remove the eye cup to use the the eye piece cap is a pain. A cap out of soft plastic that would push into the eye piece would be ideal.