Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-05-2016, 05:29 PM   #1

Upgrading my camera

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hello Everyone!

First of all I must thank all of you because every time I had any question about anything related with Pentax I've found here the answer

So finally I've decided to ask a question in here.

About a year ago I bought my first DSLR, on Ebay, a second hand one, it was a good deal, a Pentax Kr (15.000 shutter count) for about 150€ with two lenses, battery, and a few extras.

I'm pretty happy with it, i've learned a lot about photography, how to use a camera, composition, post processing..., I also bought a 50mm 1.7 Manual, my favourite lens and with the KR they make astonishing pictures , but my model has the Mirror Flop problem and when I use it continuously, like this easter, when i took more than 300 pictures per day i have to dismount the lens and fix the mirror every 20 pictures and thats annoying.

So now that i can, I'm thinking on change my DSLR body, my 2 options are the Pentax K50 and the KS1, with a slightly preference for the KS1.

I've seen a lot of information about both cameras, reviews, videos, but i've not seen any comparison with both of them, the weather sealing of the K50 sounds nice, but the 20mpx and the option to disable the low pass filter makes me like more the KS1 (And i even like the design) but I want an external opinion about this.

One thing that i would really like is the option to show the Live View of the screen on a external monitor, but i think that neither of this two have this option.

Here in Spain, I have both of them in Amazon.es, the KS1 for 295€ and K50 for 408€.

So which one do you recommend me? I really like the KS1 but I don't know iif the K50 worth it could pay that extra, What do you think that is the best choice?

Thanks a lot

06-05-2016, 05:46 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by andermurias Quote
One thing that i would really like is the option to show the Live View of the screen on a external monitor, but i think that neither of this two have this option.
Yup, unfortunately that feature is only found on the K-S2, which is the camera I'd recommend, by the way.

There's a comparison between the K-S1 and the K-50 here:
Pentax K-S1 Review - Image Quality | PentaxForums.com Reviews

The K-S1 does have better image quality and better live view AF compared to the K-50, among other things, but I'm not sure you will like the grip. The K-S1 is harder to hold than the K-50 unless you have small hands, and if you went for the K-50 or K-S2, I'm sure you'd fall in love with the second e-dial.

You might want to consider consider importing a camera, as they are way cheaper elsewhere (you can probably find a reasonably-priced new offering on eBay). The K-50 costs $299 and the K-S2 costs $499 in the US. I found a listing in Germany for a K-S2 for €419:

Pentax K S2 Body Gehäuse White Demo | eBay

See also:

Pentax K-S2 Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

The K-S2 has Wi-Fi, weather sealing, dual control wheels, an articulating LCD, and a bunch more shooting modes than the K-S1, so I'd strongly recommend that you at least consider it. It also has the same 20 Mp sensor.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-05-2016, 06:54 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Having the ability to disable the low light filter system is a nice feature. I did not have it on my K-7, but it was added to the K-01 and now they have a series of things for night photography on the K-1. That said, what about looking at a K-5? If considering used anyway, these are going for about $300 or $400 in the US/E-Bay. K-3 is going for about $500. I know it bites on the wallet, but don't over skimp on the body. Save a bit more or stretch a bit more, you will probably thank yourself in the long run!

Regards,
BD
06-05-2016, 07:44 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Yup, unfortunately that feature is only found on the K-S2, which is the camera I'd recommend, by the way.

There's a comparison between the K-S1 and the K-50 here:
Pentax K-S1 Review - Image Quality | PentaxForums.com Reviews

The K-S1 does have better image quality and better live view AF compared to the K-50, among other things, but I'm not sure you will like the grip. The K-S1 is harder to hold than the K-50 unless you have small hands, and if you went for the K-50 or K-S2, I'm sure you'd fall in love with the second e-dial.

You might want to consider consider importing a camera, as they are way cheaper elsewhere (you can probably find a reasonably-priced new offering on eBay). The K-50 costs $299 and the K-S2 costs $499 in the US. I found a listing in Germany for a K-S2 for €419:

See also:

Pentax K-S2 Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

The K-S2 has Wi-Fi, weather sealing, dual control wheels, an articulating LCD, and a bunch more shooting modes than the K-S1, so I'd strongly recommend that you at least consider it. It also has the same 20 Mp sensor.

Wow that was fast, i didn't see any KS2 under the 550€ but for that price, i'm really interested, the flip screen, the monitor output, the mic input and the Wifi, seems really interesting for me, i think that in this case the upgrade worth the extra 150€

QuoteOriginally posted by BigDave Quote
Having the ability to disable the low light filter system is a nice feature. I did not have it on my K-7, but it was added to the K-01 and now they have a series of things for night photography on the K-1. That said, what about looking at a K-5? If considering used anyway, these are going for about $300 or $400 in the US/E-Bay. K-3 is going for about $500. I know it bites on the wallet, but don't over skimp on the body. Save a bit more or stretch a bit more, you will probably thank yourself in the long run!

Regards,
BD
About buying a second hand camera, I know that there are very good deals in there, but, i don't want to take risks this time, with the Kr was a good deal but the mirror flip problem is there, so this time I prefer a brand new so if I had any problem call Ricoh and make them repair it.

06-06-2016, 12:40 AM   #5
Pentaxian

The K-S1 is a great little camera. I have one that makes a great low weight partner to my DA Ltd's. The absence of a tiltable screen hasn't bothered me too much, as (a) I haven't needed it that often, and (b) when I did I used the camera with the Flu card and a remote control, and just viewed the scene on my smartphone/tablet, which I personally find to be far more versatile than a tiltable screen, although I appreciate it might not be as convenient.

The IQ from the K-S1 is equal to, if not better than my K5ii. You get used to the grip. I use a wrist strap to carry the camera, and a belt holster. I carry my Ltd's in a small bag on my shoulder.

Any money saved on the body can be put to better glass.

Note, though, that I write about the K-S1 as someone who also has K20D, K5II, and a K3II, so I have other bodies available if I need them.
06-07-2016, 06:20 AM   #6

Original Poster
I've been talking with the seller of the offer on Ebay Germany that Adam said, and I've finally bought that Pentax KS2, 433€ A bit more that I was looking for, but it worth it.

QuoteQuote:

The KS2 has all the features that I wanted but I couldn't found in the price range on Pentax (Mic input, folding screen, HDMI Live Output...)

So Thanks for all