Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-16-2008, 05:27 AM   #1

upgrade 2 K20

Hi I am thinking of upgrading my K10 to a K20. I would like to hear from anyone who has done this, and what there thoughts are. Thanks Troy

07-16-2008, 06:16 AM   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pentax_mad Quote
Hi I am thinking of upgrading my K10 to a K20. I would like to hear from anyone who has done this, and what there thoughts are. Thanks Troy
Operation is pretty much identical, which is nice. The layout is pretty well the same as well. The learning curve is very short if you are familiar with the K10. Imaging quality is better with the k20, presuming good lenses. The sensor resolution is high enough to test the mettle of any lens though, so if you are using less than first quality glass, you might not see an improvement in detail in your pictures.
I think the CMOS gives nicer flesh tones, but ultimately, I think the K10's colour accuracy is better, though they are very close in this regard.
The files are much larger, so be prepared to perhaps buy another card or two, and for longer post processing, since everything moves a bit slower.
I upgraded my computer to a bit of a hot rod just prior to getting my K20 to accommodate the larger files.
07-16-2008, 07:00 AM   #3

QuoteOriginally posted by pentax_mad Quote
I didn't want to upgrade to K20D at first, but the noise lvl at ISO1600 made me press the trigger. My photography had always revolved around flash so normally ISO400 is sufficient.

However, I got an assignment a month back that one cannot use flash and K10D at ISO1600 really is a problem.

So if you need high ISO, better crop with higher MP size and better control of P-TTL (mainly bounce), you'll be very happy with K20D.^^
07-16-2008, 08:50 AM   #4
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I went from the 100 to the 10, then to the 20. Not a single regret.

07-16-2008, 09:12 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
I went from the 100 to the 10, then to the 20. Not a single regret.
Ditto.

Will

P.S. Actually my progress was: K100D, sold and replaced by K10D, then I bought an *ist DS because I realized I had to have two cameras, and then I bought the K20D so now I have, um (taking fingers off keyboard to count...), yes, that comes to three now.

Last edited by WMBP; 07-16-2008 at 11:00 AM. Reason: added postscript
07-16-2008, 10:51 AM   #6
Veteran Member

ditto prev

went from a Ds to K100D to K10D to K20D. The K20D is the best of the batch (unless you want to do IR). What I like best is the increased resolution, which allows for more cropping if needed and the increased high ISO capability. Those two alone made the upgrade very worthwhile for me.
07-16-2008, 02:27 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Ditto the previous posters.

Things I like on the K20D that I didn't have on the previous cameras:
- good to great high ISO performance
- more resolution
- better AF performance, especially AF-C
- Live View is occasionally useful
- more controls/tweaks including AF adjustments

My 16-50 lens works much better on my K20D than on my K10D (had bad PF). However, my DA200 can show terrible PF on the K20D so the K20D isn't a "magic bullet" against PF.

Of all the above, I'd say the high ISO performance and improved AF performance are the main reasons I'm happy I switched.
07-16-2008, 02:29 PM   #8
Inactive Account

I bought the K20D and hung on to the K10D as a backup/second body for events. I love both cameras but my K10D only makes it out for the big shows when I have a camera strapped on each shoulder.

The main things I like about the 20 over the 10:

-IQ and Higher (usable) sensitivity
-More resolution, images files are huge, so crops can be a little more extensive and cards need to be a little bit bigger
-PC Sync socket - Finnally an easy integration for studio strobes (even though I will soon be going wireless/radio)
-Backwards compatibility with the BG2, the grips still fits so I didn't have to buy another one.

07-16-2008, 02:42 PM   #9
Syb
Site Supporter

Is the K20d buffering as fastly (or slowly, depending on what you are used to, so let's keep it neutral: with the same speed) as the K10d? I did some thunderstorm-by-night-photography lately, and found it annoying that I had to wait half the time for the pics to be processed. (16 sec bulb- 20 secs waiting... 16 sec bulb etc. the best lightnings are always there when the camera is calculating the previous ones).

Another thing I'ld like is faster (or predicting) AF. A girl on a swing, for instance is hardly doable with K10d AF (my experience with FA77Ltd). How is that?

Thanks,
Syb
07-16-2008, 03:26 PM   #10
Site Supporter

Syb, turn the noise reduction off to stop the dark frame subtraction. You can do this on K10D ( custom menu), but not K20D (there is a work around- kind of).
things I like about K20D over 10. Besides the already mentioned.
1. More in camera processing.
2. Ability to adjust af for different lenses.
3. Quietness of shutter/miror.
4. Larger lcd that is color tunable.
5. Better metering with A and M lenses.
6. Color of K20D is magical vs any of the other Pentax dslrs. Don't know if its more res or Pentax tweaking colors. Love it.
thanks
barondla
Check out POINT & SHOOT CONTEST #* in P&S forum. Enter #9. Any type camera except slr. Any brand. Any subject. Enter now.