Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-06-2016, 09:10 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Survey: Which Pentax DSLR firmware improvements do you want the most?

Hi,

based on the input collected here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/6-pentax-dslr-discussion/322777-thread-co...-requests.html
No more submissions will be included, everybody had their chance in that other thread and those 66 already cover a broad range.

Now I want to start a survey where everybody can pick those software (not: hardware) improvements, which she/he likes the best. This is to differentiate niche to mainstream requirements. The most vocal posters not always are even close to membership of a majority. A survey is much more neutral here.

Here is the survey:
https://www.murvey.com/s?575598403dc4552920a780db
Upon submitting you immediately should see the results.

Results can be accessed directly here as well: https://www.murvey.com/report?575598403dc4552920a780db&key=ZVbdJ

The total number of items to choose from is 66 and I limited the choice to a maximum of 20 to get the priority ones.
At least one item must be checked (otherwise it was nonsense).
Options appear in random order (to avoid everybody picking the first ones)

06-06-2016, 09:16 AM - 3 Likes   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I suggest that we insist that Pentax add requested features to the older bodies first. Those folk have been waiting the longest.

Steve
06-06-2016, 11:04 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
That would be against all commercial rationale.
06-06-2016, 11:29 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
That would be against all commercial rationale.
No doubt.
And Pentax was never famous of doing this.

Other companies sometimes do.
One example is Panasonic. Some reviews called the LX5 firmware update to 2.2 a true step to a new model LX5-II (not only improvements, but really nice new features).

06-06-2016, 11:38 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I suggest that we insist that Pentax add requested features to the older bodies first. Those folk have been waiting the longest.

Steve
Good one.
06-06-2016, 11:46 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
You should post that in the joke thread!
06-06-2016, 01:58 PM   #7

How many firmware fantasy threads doe we need?

06-06-2016, 09:02 PM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
No more submissions will be included, everybody had their chance in that other thread and those 66 already cover a broad range.
True, it covers a broad range. However, it does not seem likely that "everybody had their chance" when the other thread was only around for 2 days before you started this one. Just saying...
06-08-2016, 06:10 AM   #9

I made my choices in the survey but I wonder if Mr. "pentax" will ever see!!
06-08-2016, 06:19 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
How would Pentax benefit from firmware improvements? They sold the cameras, they work. How does revisiting them and updating firmware help their bottom line? Is this another way of saying "what could we possibly con Pentax into giving us for free?" Firmware updates as far as I know ar conceived before release of the camera. If not ready at time of release, the original capabilities envisioned for the camera hardware will be released in updates following the release of the camera. I am not aware of any effort on the part of Pentax or any other manufacturer to introduce updates to firmware un-envisioned in the original design. The whole concept here would seem a little pie in the sky.

Imagine, we suggest firmware updates un-envisioned by the original design. Pentax out of the kindness of their hearts expends resources into impvestigating firmware upgrades that may or may not be possible at their own expense and gives the new firmware away to previous customers for no charge if the upgrades turns out to be possible.

Is it just me or are some folks living out in la -la land?

Just how much engineering team time, in terms of developing and testing new firmware do foks think they paid for when they bought their cameras? Or are we imagining there would be no cost to Pentax for such development?
06-08-2016, 07:25 AM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
How would Pentax benefit from firmware improvements? They sold the cameras, they work. How does revisiting them and updating firmware help their bottom line? Is this another way of saying "what could we possibly con Pentax into giving us for free?" Firmware updates as far as I know ar conceived before release of the camera. If not ready at time of release, the original capabilities envisioned for the camera hardware will be released in updates following the release of the camera. I am not aware of any effort on the part of Pentax or any other manufacturer to introduce updates to firmware un-envisioned in the original design. The whole concept here would seem a little pie in the sky.

Imagine, we suggest firmware updates un-envisioned by the original design. Pentax out of the kindness of their hearts expends resources into impvestigating firmware upgrades that may or may not be possible at their own expense and gives the new firmware away to previous customers for no charge if the upgrades turns out to be possible.

Is it just me or are some folks living out in la -la land?

Just how much engineering team time, in terms of developing and testing new firmware do foks think they paid for when they bought their cameras? Or are we imagining there would be no cost to Pentax for such development?
This is all true if you are thinking about only discontinued models and only marketing to existing Pentax users. If instead we think about upgrading currently marketed models, it could be a win for Pentax by making the model more appealing to both existing Pentax users (who don't have that model) and potential new users, without investing in a new hardware design and manufacturing setup. I am primarily thinking of the K-1 here because people seem to think it will not be replaced by a new model for awhile. I am by no means saying this is what they will or should do. It is just a different way to view the situation.
06-08-2016, 07:55 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
How would Pentax benefit from firmware improvements?
In my thread collecting the ideas I already said that I do not expect any of these to be part of retroactive updates. I personally would be happy enough if they implemented them (as many as possible) in the next model. I do think the leave positive potential lying on the ground unnecessarily by not having all these wonderful features in there. And that potential is sales potential those are features which can tip a buying decision.

If they were to improve the current top tier models that also would seem to make commercial sense as it as a kind of marketing message.
06-09-2016, 01:34 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Interestingly the secondmost requested feature (allowing shutter times beyond 30 seconds) has now already been implemented in the K-70.