Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-16-2008, 07:17 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Are my eyes bad?

I have problems focusing manually on my K100D. When the focus indicator lights up, I don't see the image completely in focus. I have to focus on what would be a point in space closer to the lens, and then my subject will appear clear. It does not appear clear in the final image.

When I focus with the help of the electronic rangefinder, my pictures come out well focused. If I just use my eyes, they're always mis-focused.

The diopter adjustment doesn't really help at all.

This happens with all lenses I use.

I do not experience the same problem on my ZX-30.

Help?

07-16-2008, 07:26 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Get thy eyes examined.
Seriously though, can you see the diopter adjustment doing anything to the look of the screen? If so, your eyes are out of the range of the adjustment to correct, if not, you have a broken viewfinder.
07-16-2008, 07:27 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Your viewfinder could be out of whack with the actual focus point. An slr finder works on the idea that the distance from lens to finder is same as lens to sensor. If out, the more precisely you manually focus the worse it gets. If not it means a trip to the service dept.
thanks
barondla

Check out POINT & SHOOT CONTEST #8 in P&S forum. Enter #9. Any type camera except slr. Any brand. Any subject. Enter now.
07-16-2008, 07:42 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Get thy eyes examined.
Seriously though, can you see the diopter adjustment doing anything to the look of the screen? If so, your eyes are out of the range of the adjustment to correct, if not, you have a broken viewfinder.
The ZX-30 has pretty much the same viewfinder and it works like a treat. My other ancient manual SLRs work well too, and they have no adjustment at all.

I usually keep the adjustment in the middle; my eyes feel most comfortable with it in that position.

I can see display at the bottom of the viewfinder very clearly.

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Your viewfinder could be out of whack with the actual focus point. An slr finder works on the idea that the distance from lens to finder is same as lens to sensor. If out, the more precisely you manually focus the worse it gets. If not it means a trip to the service dept.
Nuts. I'll pay more for the servicing than I did for the camera (which is nothing at all, courtesy of a wonderful friend)

07-16-2008, 08:14 AM   #5
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

If you are trying to adjust the diopter by focusing on an object, that may be causing your problem. Try pointing the camera at a fairly bright, diffuse light (fluorescent fixture, shaded light bulb, etc.) and de-focus the lens as much as possible, then adjust the diopter to get the composition lines on the screen in sharp focus.
07-16-2008, 10:05 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It may also be that the focusing screen is out of position slightly. There is a spacer in my K10D that is easy to misalign. If you have removed and replaced the focusing screen to clean it, or as I have, replaced it with a grid screen, you may inadvertently have the screen not quite in the correct position.
07-16-2008, 10:41 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
If you are trying to adjust the diopter by focusing on an object, that may be causing your problem. Try pointing the camera at a fairly bright, diffuse light (fluorescent fixture, shaded light bulb, etc.) and de-focus the lens as much as possible, then adjust the diopter to get the composition lines on the screen in sharp focus.
I'll be sure to try that. Thank you for the tip!

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
It may also be that the focusing screen is out of position slightly. There is a spacer in my K10D that is easy to misalign. If you have removed and replaced the focusing screen to clean it, or as I have, replaced it with a grid screen, you may inadvertently have the screen not quite in the correct position.
Why yes, I did take it out once to clean it. Could that have caused it? I'll take it out again and be a lot more careful, then. I didn't imagine it could have such an effect.
07-16-2008, 12:00 PM   #8
Veteran Member

ftpaddict,
If the screen position was incorrect, it would not focus properly on its own. The error would effect both manual and auto focusing. I have the same issuse to a lessor extant. With glasses, the diopter lever is in the middle. Without glasses, I have to move it all the way to the left to acheive proper focus as viewed from the camera rear. You may just need glases or a new pair to correct the problem. I just leave it set for the glasses, since taking them off is a pain and causes missed shots. This is the price that I have to pay for my advanced age. At least I can still see out of one eye.

Dave

PS: Dosen't Pentax make a corrective eye-cups?

QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote
I'll be sure to try that. Thank you for the tip!
Why yes, I did take it out once to clean it. Could that have caused it? I'll take it out again and be a lot more careful, then. I didn't imagine it could have such an effect.

07-16-2008, 12:06 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Big Dave Quote
ftpaddict,
If the screen position was incorrect, it would not focus properly on its own.
It actually would, since AF is achieved via the sensor located under the half-mirror, thus it wouldn't have anything to do with the focusing screen.
07-16-2008, 04:39 PM   #10
Site Supporter

Hello,

What I would do to see if it is your eyes or the camera is:

1. Set the diopter in the center, focus to manual.
2. Hand the camera to a young person with good eyesight.
3. Tell them to fine tune the diopter to focus the digital display on the bottom of the viewfinder.
4. Have them take a few photos with manual focus.

If the camera works from someone else, it is your eyesight. If not, then investigate the hardware.

P.S. I learned of focusing the status display on this forum, works much better then what the manual says (focus an autofocused image). Both of my camera diopters are one click left of center. Hmm, sort of like me.
07-16-2008, 05:16 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Parallax is right. You do not adjust the diopter by trying to focus the camera on somebody's face or a flower or anything else. But I would make a slightly different recommendation: look down (inside the finder) at the number indicating exposure settings like shutter speed, etc. Get those values into sharp focus and you're done.

Will
07-16-2008, 07:22 PM   #12
Site Supporter

Canada Rockies makes a good point about focus screen. This happened to me on a High School Newspaper shoot. All the images were a little soft. Most people couldn't tell but it bothered me. Took a while to figure out one OM body had a screen that wasn't seated well enough. Scarry moment.
Hard to believe its his eyesight if the other camera works fine. Did it just start happening? Good luck with the solution.
thanks
barondla

Check out POINT & SHOOT CONTEST #8 in P&S forum. Enter #9. Any type camera except slr. Any brand. Any subject. Enter now.