Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-06-2016, 08:22 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Okay to buy foreign camera on eBay?

Is they any danger in purchasing a camera on eBay that is packaged for a different country? For example if I purchased a camera for the Japanese market for use in the US market. Does it affect the warranty? I don't mind if the manual is in Japanese.

06-06-2016, 08:33 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Newtophotos Quote
Is they any danger in purchasing a camera on eBay that is packaged for a different country? For example if I purchased a camera for the Japanese market for use in the US market. Does it affect the warranty? I don't mind if the manual is in Japanese.
I believe that it will affect the warranty. I have read many articles for example when considering to purchase a Nikon D7000, the warranty information was very clear that it is for Nikons that were made for use in the U.S.A. You can always ask ebay by going to their Buyer's Question area. Also, you can ask the seller directly. I hope this helps.

Best of Luck.,

Antonio
06-06-2016, 08:50 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

If you live in the U.S. and you buy your new camera or lens from a Japanese vendor, there are implications:
  • It is highly likely that the camera may be considered "gray market" by Ricoh Imaging USA
  • The last I heard, Ricoh Imaging USA will honor the warranty for a fee
  • As the importer, you will be responsible for any customs duties. However, since Japan has "most favored nation" status with the U.S. there should be no duty on photographic cameras or lenses. These laws change, so it would be good to confirm before placing the order. Duties can be very high and your camera will be impounded until they are paid.
  • It is likely that the regional settings options will be specific to Japan. English language will probably be an option, though familiar time zones may not. Changing region usually requires accessing the so-called debug menu. How this is done varies by camera model with some risk of screwing things up in a way that may not be covered under warranty.
  • The camera will come with a Japan accessory package. As a result, the supplied charger cord may not be correct for the U.S.
I think that about covers it.

Steve
06-07-2016, 12:39 AM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Newtophotos Quote
If the camera is brand new, and if the Japanese vendor is an authorized dealer in Japan, you can obtain warranty service in the US for a flat fee of $50 per incident for the duration of the original warranty. Be sure to retain the original receipt from the seller, rather than the eBay receipt, so that you can prove that the camera was obtained from an authorized dealer.

If the Japanese vendor is not an authorized dealer in Japan, you get no warranty coverage.

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
It is likely that the regional settings options will be specific to Japan. English language will probably be an option, though familiar time zones may not. Changing region usually requires accessing the so-called debug menu. How this is done varies by camera model with some risk of screwing things up in a way that may not be covered under warranty.
I don't think this is the case any more, but I'm not 100% sure.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-11-2016, 09:07 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you very much guys. Is the original manufacturer (Pentax) warranty transferred if a camera is purchased on Amazon and sold in the first 6 months?