Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-06-2016, 10:59 PM   #1

Downgrade k3?

Hi to all
for months I used K3 (has a few months to live) and, at the same time, also my (as new) K5. I found K5 better for highlight exposure management, and high iso also.
I'm not enthusiastic about K3 and then I think to sell it for switch to K5IIs... or what other Pentax aps-c cuold be similar (or better?) to K5 as high iso management? I don't know all pentax aps-c...

Thanks a lot

06-06-2016, 11:21 PM - 1 Like   #2

Have you experimented with the highlight and shadow settings? Look for the recommended settings here or on youtube. Don't throw away your old shoes yet.

Otherwise, I really like the K-S2 (20MP), and there's a new K-70 coming which is it's successor.
06-06-2016, 11:23 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Borrelli Quote
Have you experimented with the highlight and shadow settings? Look for the recommended settings here or on youtube. Don't throw away your old shoes yet.

Otherwise, I really like the K-S2 (20MP), and there's a new K-70 coming which is it's successor.
Thanks Borrelli... where do I can find here raccommended K3 settings? I already use highlight and shadow settings...
06-06-2016, 11:41 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by renix Quote
Downgrade k3? Hi to all for months I used K3 (has a few months to live) and, at the same time, also my (as new) K5. I found K5 better for highlight exposure management, and high iso also. I'm not enthusiastic about K3 and then I think to sell it for switch to K5IIs... or what other Pentax aps-c cuold be similar (or better?) to K5 as high iso management? I don't know all pentax aps-c... Thanks a lot
Wrong. The K5 underexpose by about 0.3ev (Pentax conservative approach) compared to the K3 (more Canon like exposure approach), so in scenes with too much contrast, it can be that K3 will produce more blown highlights compared to K5, but in this case you just have to underexpose a bit via exposure compensation. In scenes having less contrast the overall image quality from the K3 is better. Pixel peeping at 100% on a display is not the right way to compare image quality. When printing photos, the K3 deliver visibly better images, I mean, if you do a "blind" test , print two photos taken with K5 and K3 at 30x20 inches, I can tell you which one is from the K3 and which one is from the K5.

06-07-2016, 01:48 AM - 1 Like   #5

Thanks Borrelli... where do I can find here raccommended K3 settings? I already use highlight and shadow settings...
Pentax K-3 Review - Recommended Settings | PentaxForums.com Reviews

And try out biz-engineers tip. Different cameras do expose differently.
06-07-2016, 05:54 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

K-5II vs K-3II? I have the same experience as you have. And, bizengineer is right. I find my k-3II overexposed by +.7 to +1.0. I also have almost the same outcome on both cameras when I underexpose my k-3II. However, as to low light high ISO exposures, noise control is much better with my k-5II.
06-07-2016, 05:57 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This weekend while taking photos with the LED bank at a contest I found I needed to dial in 0.7 Exposure Compensation to keep from blowing highlights. The pictures looked fine after that.

06-07-2016, 06:08 AM   #8
Pentaxian

That is correct TER-OR. I even go down as much as 1.0. Then I get the same rich color of my k-5II.
06-07-2016, 08:48 AM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I found K5 better for highlight exposure management, and high iso also.
I shot K-5IIs and K-3 side by side for several months, then retired the K-5IIs. The k-3 produces, IMHO, much nicer images. However, it is a different sensor than the k-5 series and I was initially very disappointed with the k-3 until I realized I was shooting and developing the k-3 files the same as the k-5 files. Once I threw out everything I learned about the k-5 and started over with new develop presets and as others have noted a little exposure compensation, the k-3 quickly overshadowed the older camera.

I suggest you start with basics on the k-3 and learn to develop for that sensor and see if perhaps you can learn to like the k-3. It is a very good camera but there is a learning curve.
06-07-2016, 09:33 AM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
I shot K-5IIs and K-3 side by side for several months, then retired the K-5IIs. The k-3 produces, IMHO, much nicer images. However, it is a different sensor than the k-5 series and I was initially very disappointed with the k-3 until I realized I was shooting and developing the k-3 files the same as the k-5 files. Once I threw out everything I learned about the k-5 and started over with new develop presets and as others have noted a little exposure compensation, the k-3 quickly overshadowed the older camera.

I suggest you start with basics on the k-3 and learn to develop for that sensor and see if perhaps you can learn to like the k-3. It is a very good camera but there is a learning curve.
I totally agree with you.

I was about to return/sell the K3 when I first tried it thinking it was "inferior" to my good old K5 !
I have learned a few things:
1. It is NOT a K5 !
2. It is finicky ! Better have a good technique because it sure does not behave the same as the K5.
3. Do NOT underexpose "too much" ... (personal opinion and nothing to do with what other people may think).
4. Once you nail the focus, the images are better than those taken with the K5.
5. Once you nail the exposure properly, the images are better .... than with the K5.

It would be a good idea to provide to the OP some tips about "developing" for the K3. I am still learning but still struggling with this parameter.

Thanks for this post!
06-07-2016, 09:50 AM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Interestingly, most of the photos were great over the weekend. The exposure is amazingly accurate. It was just that LED bank light which was maybe fooling the camera's metering somehow. The K5 was good in lower light too, both cameras do well.

When I'm taking images outdoors the camera works pretty much the same as the K5, but generally improved in numerous ways. Certainly, cropping performance is a step up.
06-07-2016, 10:25 AM   #12
Veteran Member

LEDs are really awful for photography... at least, the assorted color ones are. White usually doesn't do too bad, but the red/green/purple/etc stuff from concert lighting, for example... plenty of threads complaining about how badly those affect images.
06-07-2016, 10:27 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by narual Quote
LEDs are really awful for photography... at least, the assorted color ones are. White usually doesn't do too bad, but the red/green/purple/etc stuff from concert lighting, for example... plenty of threads complaining about how badly those affect images.
So I've gathered. I've taken thousands of pictures over the years with different setups in the same room. The white LED bank provides just enough extra light for good shots, flashes tend to burn - though I should learn to do the rear-curtain technique. This was the first year with the K3II. I've just got to learn a little, the EV compensation helped reduce highlight burns.

It's all experience!
06-07-2016, 01:41 PM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote

It would be a good idea to provide to the OP some tips about "developing" for the K3. I am still learning but still struggling with this parameter.

Thanks for this post!
I totally agree for suggest a tips!!!!
Thanks to you
06-08-2016, 05:46 AM - 1 Like   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Generally all I find necessary in most PP is to adjust the exposure a bit and boost contrast if the shots are indoors. If I used a flash sometimes I'll need to reduce highlights and adjust skin tones. Usually, though, I don't need to do much work at all (excluding cropping). l