Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-09-2016, 07:22 AM   #61
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MichaelErlewine Quote
I am new here, so I had better introduce myself a little. The Pentax K1 is new to me, but not photography. I am impressed with the zeal and the interest in the technical aspects of photography at this Pentax forum. Nice group and with real interest! I may just hang out here as I learn the K1.
Welcome! I know exactly how it feels to be new to Pentax, and finding it different, or sometimes even the opposite of the brand I was formerly using. (In my case, Canon). I hope you do enjoy this forum, although it seems like the discussion here is getting a little bit heated at times. I have wished for exposure simulation before as well, but I've learned that it's not as necessary as I once thought. I can sympathize with you somewhat, as I do quite a bit of macro and super-macro photography with Live View. I use reversed lenses + extension tubes to photograph snowflakes up close! Obviously the OVF is too dark to be of any use, so I use LiveView (with the zoom feature) 99% of the time for focusing. Here's a flickr album with a couple of my best shots if you're interested: https://www.flickr.com/gp/133846807@N06/H4i390

I have been wondering lately what would happen to my snowflake photos if I could shoot with Pixel-Shift. I'd love to find out some day! (Maybe the K-70 will become cheap enough soon? )

I hope you find an answer to your question that will work for you! Naturally I'm rather biased towards Pentax, (and I'm sure most of the members here are as well) and we hope that you'll stay with the K1.

06-09-2016, 08:15 AM   #62
Site Supporter

That’s about all I need and is what I’m talking about here and looking to find a way achieve with the K1.
With any luck the advice to use the EC feature will help provide a similar preview screen effect. I hope we have given you work-arounds that you can live with and look forward to seeing examples of what you are able to accomplish.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 06-09-2016 at 08:44 AM.
06-09-2016, 08:43 AM   #63
Site Supporter

I include one below that I put up on Dpreview.com just for this forum, since we canít post images here directly from our hard drives (correct me if I am wrong).
Unless there is some restriction in place for new users, you should be able to upload photos to include in your posts. I usually link to my Flickr account (super easy), but there are also two options for upload here.
  • Attach the image to the post and insert the attachment into the text
  • Upload the image to your personal gallery and link that to your post

Steve
06-09-2016, 08:56 AM   #64
osv
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
as we can see, the K1 does not favor lenses that are not linked electronically to it.
i'll repeat once again: that's not relevant to what you need, because wysiwyg is not dependent on the lens that the camera uses...

the a7rii balpro example you gave proves that, because it's not electronically linked to the a7rii in any way... you directly contradicted yourself.

there are only two people in this thread who really understand what wysiwyg is, and you keep confusing the issue with wrong assumptions.

I took the Sony A7rII out of the box, placed it on one end of a Novoflex BALPRO bellows system and a El Nikkor 105mm APO enlarger lens on the other. Then I switched the camera on for the first time. Right there on the LCD was the image of a flower I wanted to photograph. I reached for the camera, grabbed it and moved the back rotary dial. The shutter speed moved up and down, causing the light in the image in the LCD to vary accordingly. Thatís about all I need and is what Iím talking about here and looking to find a way achieve with the K1.
that functionality is called "wysiwyg" o.k.?, no camera does it better than the ff sonys.

afaik, no pentax camera has ever had wysiwyg liveview... i've been trying to get a straight answer on that with the k-1, for months out here, lol

06-09-2016, 10:20 AM   #65
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm still fuzzy why constant preview or whatever you want to call it is important. What is wrong with chimping? I'm not saying that to focus away from what you want - just trying to understand how that constant preview is important to the outcome as opposed to being the way you enjoy shooting.
06-09-2016, 11:24 AM   #66
Pentaxian

The reason to use LiveView is to be able to magnify the image to achieve more exact focus. Here is an example of a close-up shot taken with the Nikon D810 with the El Nikkor 105mm APO lens (on a bellows), and Zerene Stacker.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/create?type=discussion&forum=1054
That link goes to "Start a new discussion thread" on dpreview forum, not to a picture.

And yes you can attach pictures directly from your HD into the post, click the "Manage Attachments" button below and upload your picture.
06-09-2016, 11:28 AM   #67
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Michael, please check that you have "using aperture ring" set to "permitted". I've been trying to recreate your problem and discovered that when using nonconnected lenses in M mode, the green button does nothing if you don't have that set. This functionality maybe called something else on K1, I don't have one myself. But basically look for something along the lines of a setting that you can set that dictates whether or not the shutter will or won't release when the aperture ring is not set to the A position. This maybe why your green button isn't helping you.
06-09-2016, 05:32 PM   #68
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Nass Quote
Michael, please check that you have "using aperture ring" set to "permitted". I've been trying to recreate your problem and discovered that when using non-connected lenses in M mode, the green button does nothing if you don't have that set. This functionality maybe called something else on K1, I don't have one myself. But basically look for something along the lines of a setting that you can set that dictates whether or not the shutter will or won't release when the aperture ring is not set to the A position. This maybe why your green button isn't helping you.
I have that set to the 2nd position. I am doing fine with the K1 with lenses that are coupled to the camera, but working with bellows, etc., not of which I automate, is too difficult so far to, say, make an image with 100 layers.

As for why some folks are getting heated over my learning curve, I am sorry about that. Not my intention. New camera, poor manual, not enough time, etc. Same old same old.

Sample idea of what I do. Nikon D810, El Nikkor 105mm APO, Zerene Stacker

The 2nd image is with the K1 and the Voigtlander 90mm APO Lanthar f/3.5, lightly stacked

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
NIKON D810  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 

Last edited by MichaelErlewine; 06-09-2016 at 05:43 PM.
06-09-2016, 05:47 PM - 1 Like   #69
Pentaxian

... the K1 does not favor lenses that are not linked electronically to it. .....
The pentax method is to adjust the lcd gain so the view stays visible. Nothing to do with whether the lens is electronically linked or not.

I took the Sony A7rII out of the box,..... I reached for the camera, grabbed it and moved the back rotary dial. The shutter speed moved up and down, causing the light in the image in the LCD to vary accordingly. .
Yeah I was disappointed the first time I tried that on my K-01
The workarounds, digital preview, histogram etc have been covered
cheers
06-09-2016, 05:51 PM   #70
Loyal Site Supporter

I have that set to the 2nd position. I am doing fine with the K1 with lenses that are coupled to the camera, but working with bellows, etc., not of which I automate, is too difficult so far to, say, make an image with 100 layers.

As for why some folks are getting heated over my learning curve, I am sorry about that. Not my intention. New camera, poor manual, not enough time, etc. Same old same old.

Sample idea of what I do. Nikon D810, El Nikkor 105mm APO, Zerene Stacker

The 2nd image is with the K1 and the Voigtlander 90mm APO Lanthar f/3.5, lightly stacked
I think we get what you are doing and why - and your learning curve is understandable to me. What's unclear - and I posted earlier about - is why the constant preview is helpful / necessary for this? Once you get the first shot done do you have to adjust the rest? If you need accurate constant preview the K-1 may be the wrong choice. It isn't a Pentax feature really. But NEED and WANT are different. I suspect your workflow wants it - but it is not clear if it needs it. Can you illuminate why it is so important?
06-09-2016, 05:57 PM - 1 Like   #71
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums

Don't worry about "Osv", Michael - he won't hesitate to lecture you about something he doesn't own himself, let alone understand.
06-09-2016, 09:48 PM   #72
osv
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Transit Quote
The pentax method is to adjust the lcd gain so the view stays visible. Nothing to do with whether the lens is electronically linked or not.
exactly... even if the o.p. never understands what wysiwyg is, explaining it will be helpful for other people.

this is the canon version of it, with the camera set in manual mode... you can see the effects of shutter/aperture changes directly in the lcd.

https://youtu.be/mxCgmqaa3eA?t=6m30s
06-10-2016, 12:11 AM   #73
Pentaxian

My K5 does something similar, it darkens the live view if it thinks the shoot will be underexposed. I don’t like it though.
Last time I used live view I was setting up a shot in a very low position so I had to use live view to see anything, the sun was bright and I had to underexpose to not burn out some important bits. And what happens, the live view get darker, and with the sun in my eyes that was not really what I needed. Stupid function.
06-10-2016, 12:20 AM - 1 Like   #74
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I think we get what you are doing and why - and your learning curve is understandable to me. What's unclear - and I posted earlier about - is why the constant preview is helpful / necessary for this? Once you get the first shot done do you have to adjust the rest? If you need accurate constant preview the K-1 may be the wrong choice. It isn't a Pentax feature really. But NEED and WANT are different. I suspect your workflow wants it - but it is not clear if it needs it. Can you illuminate why it is so important?
Mostly I stack focus, which means I may take 100 photos, which are combined into a single image in post. I don't use automated focus rails to incrementally stack, because all objects are not the same. For example, if I am stepping through an image from front to back (or vice versa, or random), some parts of the subject take more or less photo layers to capture correctly. Focus Stacking is, like CDs or DVDs, digital sampling, meaning some information is captured, which other info is left out. When we stack a spherical objects, like a globe or any rounded object, we have to focus and step through tighter increments in order not to have a stair-step effect. Not always, but most often, I have to visually see what I am doing and re-magnify, since most cameras don't hold the magnification, etc., and my focus depends on what I am doing.

I can understand that those folks who don't stack focus have a different view on all this, taking a one-off photo, rather than a stream of photos. So, my workflow "needs" it, at least much of the time.
Attached Images

06-10-2016, 12:29 AM   #75
Pentaxian

It's a lovely image