Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 15 Likes Search this Thread
06-10-2016, 12:51 AM   #76
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by MichaelErlewine Quote
Mostly I stack focus, which means I may take 100 photos, which are combined into a single image in post. I don't use automated focus rails to incrementally stack, because all objects are not the same. For example, if I am stepping through an image from front to back (or vice versa, or random), some parts of the subject take more or less photo layers to capture correctly. Focus Stacking is, like CDs or DVDs, digital sampling, meaning some information is captured, which other info is left out. When we stack a spherical objects, like a globe or any rounded object, we have to focus and step through tighter increments in order not to have a stair-step effect. Not always, but most often, I have to visually see what I am doing and re-magnify, since most cameras don't hold the magnification, etc., and my focus depends on what I am doing.

I can understand that those folks who don't stack focus have a different view on all this, taking a one-off photo, rather than a stream of photos. So, my workflow "needs" it, at least much of the time.
I understand your point exactly as there is also artistic creativity involved into. In example as the picture you just posted you wont to have the first flower in focus than blur and maybe again the edges of the second flower again sharp but also you like to play with light and vary the shutter where you like to have more bright and where to have more dark areas.
Some kind of shutter light painting...

I guess you have to stick with Nikon or Sony or sell some stuff and get Canon which has resolution for sure and you have to do more "shutter light painting" as DR might be not so good.

I am bit surprised that you can get that quality with just 100 stacked pictures. I expected at least 160-200 pictures in your stack.

The Pentax route to deal with LV I like as it is really handy for landscape pictures and also when you put ND filter will compensate for this and I can see the composition. But it does not work for you and I fully understand your problem.

Just wondering if that can be adjusted via firmware update and to have current setting but also WYSIWYG setting like Canon or Sony.

BTW I like your work. Have fun with K-1!

06-10-2016, 03:26 AM   #77
Veteran Member

I have that set to the 2nd position. I am doing fine with the K1 with lenses that are coupled to the camera, but working with bellows, etc., not of which I automate, is too difficult so far to, say, make an image with 100 layers.
Yes I see where you're coming from now. Having only just recently bought into Canon, I had a play last night, and Canon has the same - adjust shutter speed lets you see a continuously adjusted preview. I'm sorry to say Pentax doesn't do this.
06-10-2016, 09:41 AM - 1 Like   #78
Forum Member

Original Poster
well, the K1 has many good features, which I will use. Working on a bellows with exotic lenses will not be one of them, unless I want to got the trial-and-error route just to get the pixel-shift. My guess is that later this year we will see other interesting new camera version, probably megapixels and perhaps some other pixel-shifting. Hassleblad and others have used pixel-shift, for example. I am not brand loyal, only feature loyal. I like the K1. I am a color freak, so here is some more pure color!
06-15-2016, 03:48 PM   #79
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
well, the K1 has many good features, which I will use. Working on a bellows with exotic lenses will not be one of them, unless I want to got the trial-and-error route just to get the pixel-shift. ....
I still don't understand
what you are able to do without 'bellows and exotic lenses'
that you can't do with them.

edit, never mind, your other thread covered it

Last edited by Transit; 06-16-2016 at 01:04 AM.
06-15-2016, 04:10 PM   #80
Loyal Site Supporter

Micheal, are you perhaps the Mr. Erlewine that Zerene mentions?
06-16-2016, 04:19 AM   #81
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
Micheal, are you perhaps the Mr. Erlewine that Zerene mentions?
If they say something nice, yes I am. If not, must be some other guy.
06-16-2016, 06:18 AM   #82
Loyal Site Supporter

If they say something nice, yes I am. If not, must be some other guy.
Oh, it was very nice as a matter of fact. They recommend you as an expert source of advice. Kudos!

06-16-2016, 06:38 AM   #83
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I took the Sony A7rII out of the box, placed it on one end of a Novoflex BALPRO bellows system and a El Nikkor 105mm APO enlarger lens on the other. Then I switched the camera on for the first time. Right there on the LCD was the image of a flower I wanted to photograph. I reached for the camera, grabbed it and moved the back rotary dial. The shutter speed moved up and down, causing the light in the image in the LCD to vary accordingly. That’s about all I need and is what I’m talking about here and looking to find a way achieve with the K1.
The sad thing is, each camera will have things it does better than other cameras. If you appreciate something a camera does that others don't do, that should be your camera. In any case, your thread has been informative. I had no idea a Sony LCD worked like that. But bottom line, sometimes photographers end up married to a specific camera for a specific feature, that may not seem to be at all relevant to most of the rest of the world. Good for the photographer, he/she has found a niche that should make their work unique. Maybe not so good for when trying to help others understand why you use that camera. But I've known a few photographers using odd ball equipment for a specific feature that made their work stand out. I hope this works out that way for you..