Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 55 Likes Search this Thread
06-16-2016, 12:26 PM   #61
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
count me in ^^ (k3)

06-19-2016, 03:28 PM   #62

I may never buy one anyway, but add me to the list.
Believing in the lens / camera compatability of the Pentax system, I bought a
HD Pentax DA 18-50mm 4 - 5.6 DC WR RE to go with the new-to-me
K-5 ll ( only 11xx clicks ). It's a KAF-3, but I didn't know the difference.

Just finished the " Evolution of the Pentax K- mount " and had to look up my lens.
Whew!! Although it does sure seem to work well.

Thanks for starting this.

AdkMike
06-20-2016, 01:44 AM   #63
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yeah, I'm down for it. (K5)
06-20-2016, 02:58 AM   #64
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by AdirondackMike Quote
I may never buy one anyway, but add me to the list.
Believing in the lens / camera compatability of the Pentax system, I bought a
HD Pentax DA 18-50mm 4 - 5.6 DC WR RE to go with the new-to-me
K-5 ll ( only 11xx clicks ). It's a KAF-3, but I didn't know the difference.

Just finished the " Evolution of the Pentax K- mount " and had to look up my lens.
Whew!! Although it does sure seem to work well.

Thanks for starting this.

AdkMike
KAF3 just means in-lens autofocus (only).

The interesting thing about that lens is that's it's an oddball without having a new mount designation. It uses a focus-by-wire system which means that focusing isn't possible at all on Pentax cameras that don't support KAF3 (i.e. those that came before the K10D). You also can't focus if the camera is off. The same applies to the new 55-300mm lens, though in its case, aperture control won't be possible, either.

The good news is that KAF4 requires no new hardware, and thus any future Pentax camera will still be able to use any Pentax lens that came before it. And as long as this holds true, I don't think it's a problem at all. In a decade all the existing Pentax DSLR models will be obsolete anyway, whereas the lenses will not.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-25-2016, 09:52 AM   #65
Forum Member

+1! Pentax K-5iis is a good camera

As the hardware is the same, there should be change in the list of commands which the new lens can recognize. Technically old bodies should be able to send the new commands after firmware update. It is still possible that there is a deeper change in the communication protocol but it doesn't seem to be necessary.
07-04-2016, 12:28 PM   #66

Please add me to the list for K-3.
K-3 is currently available on german Ricoh site for 100 Euro (999) more than K-3 II (899).
So, I think there should be a KAF4 update available.

Bests
shearer
07-05-2016, 12:05 AM   #67
Closed Account

QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
Who knows, it may work!

Please count me in too for the K-3 !!

07-05-2016, 02:35 AM   #68
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

in for the petition, no plans to go past the K-3 at this stage, thank you
07-05-2016, 09:13 PM   #69
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by shearer Quote
Please add me to the list for K-3.
K-3 is currently available on german Ricoh site for 100 Euro (999) more than K-3 II (899).
So, I think there should be a KAF4 update available.
When the K-3ii first came out there was all kinds of fussing about its lacking the under-powered point-source OnBoard Flash.
{kind of like the fussing now about the KAF4}
Maybe that is why the K-3 pricing is still high - because some have purchased it because they still want the OBF,
but when someone buys an older model, s/he runs the risk that it may lack certain capabilities.
07-07-2016, 12:13 PM   #70

+1. Count me in.
07-08-2016, 04:27 PM   #71

Photos: Albums
It's funny that I was just looking at the new 55-300 lens and thinking of pre-ordering it for my K-3. Sure am glad I dug deeper.

Please count me in too.
07-08-2016, 06:07 PM   #72
Forum Member

+1, count me in (K5iis)
07-10-2016, 06:34 PM   #73

Me too! (K5iis
07-10-2016, 06:57 PM   #74
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Except that multiple accounts from the same addresses are pretty well policed, and stopped, by the moderating team...
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Per Adam, Ricoh folks do visit the forum, so this "very informal petition" may be just as effective as using one of those "create-a-petition" web sites. Perhaps even more so; everyone on this thread is a legitimate Pentax user, whereas using an outside service will be littered with the friends and relatives and acquaintances of Pentax users.

Pretty easy to spoof IP though no? And who says Joe Jenkins under name PentaxFan4Lyfe really cares about this when its easy to click into the thread, say '+1' and move on to the next thread. We don't even know it is Joe Jenkins anyways, we just know its some person/robot named PentaxFan4Lyfe who claims they want this. You don't need to own a Pentax product to be a member of the community, we even have some people who post photos with their Canon and Nikon gear in the PF photo sharing threads (visible in the EXIF).

I'm all for a petition.. I think this is partly why dedicated sites such as change.org request real name, mailing address, and email address to sign their petitions. It means something more substantial when you're willing to put your actual name on the petition vs some random screen-name in an easy access thread. That was my point.. carry on please.
07-10-2016, 08:32 PM   #75
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Pretty easy to spoof IP though no? And who says Joe Jenkins under name PentaxFan4Lyfe really cares about this when its easy to click into the thread, say '+1' and move on to the next thread. We don't even know it is Joe Jenkins anyways, we just know its some person/robot named PentaxFan4Lyfe who claims they want this. You don't need to own a Pentax product to be a member of the community, we even have some people who post photos with their Canon and Nikon gear in the PF photo sharing threads (visible in the EXIF).

I'm all for a petition.. I think this is partly why dedicated sites such as change.org request real name, mailing address, and email address to sign their petitions. It means something more substantial when you're willing to put your actual name on the petition vs some random screen-name in an easy access thread. That was my point.. carry on please.
Agreed