Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-01-2016, 03:13 PM   #106

Photos: Albums
+ another one to this effort

If the HW of the older bodies can handle it, I hope Ricoh does the honorable thing here

09-04-2016, 12:20 PM - 3 Likes   #107
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
I wonder if we have enough interest so far for @Adam to be able to reach out to them and ask about it, if he has an in with them.
We'll ask at Photokina

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-05-2016, 01:38 AM   #108
Pentaxian

Please Adam, could you also report to RI the number of interested pentaxian as noted in this thread ?

In my case if K-3 (i don't think they would update earlier models, but who knows) could be made K-AF4 compliant, that would mean at least one HD DA55-300 PLM lens early sale. And i guess i am not the only one...
09-12-2016, 10:55 AM   #109

QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
I may as well get this started because there's plenty of interest. Who knows, it may work! I would like for Ricoh to keep the famed Pentax backwards compatibility alive and please allow KAF4 firmware for the K3, K5 series, and K50. I don't know if there are hardware limitations for the latter ones, but the K3 and K3II are basically the same camera with a few differences, and Ricoh themselves said the K3II was not a replacement for the K3.
Count me in.

09-12-2016, 11:05 AM   #110
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm also interested in this lens and would be happy if it'd not only work fully on my K1 but also with my K5.
09-12-2016, 02:49 PM   #111
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

+1 Please add my name to the list who'd like to have this firmware upgrade. K-5iis
09-12-2016, 05:01 PM   #112

Would love to use the new lens on my K-50. Count me in.

09-12-2016, 06:00 PM - 1 Like   #113
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ivorianebony Quote
yep... K-3 and K-30 please...
Me too.

Interesting issue for Ricoh Pentax, if it can be done by firmware. How much will they make from forcing some users to purchase KAF4 compatible bodies sooner, compared to what they would make from extra sales of KAF4 lenses (like the 55-300 PLM and no doubt other forthcoming lenses) by a firmware upgrade to earlier models (allowing for the cost of developing the firmware)? They must have done the sums.
09-14-2016, 05:58 AM   #114
Veteran Member

Count me in even if I have no illusions.
09-14-2016, 08:53 AM   #115
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
Me too.

Interesting issue for Ricoh Pentax, if it can be done by firmware. How much will they make from forcing some users to purchase KAF4 compatible bodies sooner, compared to what they would make from extra sales of KAF4 lenses (like the 55-300 PLM and no doubt other forthcoming lenses) by a firmware upgrade to earlier models (allowing for the cost of developing the firmware)? They must have done the sums.
Exactly, and weighted the better margin they can get from lenses (particularly from early buyers) than from DSLRs...?
I'm not that sure.
09-19-2016, 05:06 AM   #116
Veteran Member

got the k3 less than 6 months ago... and am a bit disaapointed about this anouncement.

it also seems stupid that the ks-1 is compatible but the k3 is not. they should make it up to us somehow.

*i am not that interested in the new 55 300 but i am sure in time new nice lenses will be released
09-21-2016, 09:44 AM - 1 Like   #117

QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
It shouldn't be a question of raw profit. It should be a question of supporting users. The code is already done, it shouldn't be that a big deal to insert it into any camera firmware for cameras that are hardware capable. As far as cost goes though, how much do they lose by alienating users (like me) who have supported Pentax for 50 years to great extent because of stellar lens compatibility? If it's not possible, then it's a different matter. We need a statement from Pentax concerning this issue.
09-21-2016, 05:06 PM   #118
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by EArenz Quote
It shouldn't be a question of raw profit. It should be a question of supporting users. ... As far as cost goes though, how much do they lose by alienating users (like me) who have supported Pentax for 50 years to great extent because of stellar lens compatibility?
Happily for us, since Ricoh took over, the strategy has been to grow the Pentax brand, rather than just cut costs. Ricoh do understand the Pentax ethic, and have done a pretty good job in preserving it, while modernizing their range. Backward compatibility of cameras and lenses is a key part of that. I have no doubt that they are aware that introducing lenses that are not compatible with even recent camera bodies hurts that perception of continuity - and no doubt they have factored that in to any calculations. But in the end, as much as we might like to think of Ricoh as a kind of community organization, they have a duty to their shareholders to make money.

QuoteOriginally posted by EArenz Quote
The code is already done, it shouldn't be that a big deal to insert it into any camera firmware for cameras that are hardware capable.
Because the K-3ii is firmware-upgradeable we assume that the K-3 is too. But we don't really know that yet do we? Presumably KAF4 was on the drawing board when the K-3ii and K-S2 were being developed, but it might not have been when the K-3 or K-S1 were being developed (and of course development of the K-30/K-500/K-50 line, and the K5 line, go back some way further). Until we get a definitive answer from Ricoh, we are all speculating.

---------- Post added 09-22-16 at 10:09 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
Count me in even if I have no illusions.
Nor do I, but as Pope said, hope springs eternal in the human breast.
09-22-2016, 12:36 PM   #119

Photos: Gallery
Another one for the List.
Add my name plz
K5
09-23-2016, 02:06 PM   #120
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
We'll ask at Photokina
Soooooooo............... Did anyone ask?