Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 55 Likes Search this Thread
09-23-2016, 02:29 PM   #121
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
Because the K-3ii is firmware-upgradeable we assume that the K-3 is too. But we don't really know that yet do we? Presumably KAF4 was on the drawing board when the K-3ii and K-S2 were being developed, but it might not have been when the K-3 or K-S1 were being developed
This argument would make more sense if it wasn't the case that the K-S1 received a firmware update while the K-3 has not.

09-23-2016, 03:14 PM   #122
Pentaxian

The K-S1 was announced almost 11 months after the K-3. The argument would make more sense if it didn't include the K-S1.
09-23-2016, 04:24 PM   #123
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by The Squirrel Mafia Quote
Soooooooo............... Did anyone ask?
They said no comment...so that's a pretty clear no IMO.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-23-2016, 05:07 PM   #124
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lithedreamer Quote
This argument would make more sense if it wasn't the case that the K-S1 received a firmware update while the K-3 has not.
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
The K-S1 was announced almost 11 months after the K-3. The argument would make more sense if it didn't include the K-S1.
I missed the point that the K-S1 was supported. You guys are right. And given the "no comment" response, we can stop giving Ricoh the benefit of the doubt. They are trying to make us buy new cameras.

09-23-2016, 05:14 PM - 1 Like   #125
mee
Veteran Member

I missed the point that the K-S1 was supported. You guys are right. And given the "no comment" response, we can stop giving Ricoh the benefit of the doubt. They are trying to make us buy new cameras.
News Flash: Company that sells cameras trying to make customers buy more cameras. Film at 11.

09-23-2016, 06:05 PM   #126
Pentaxian

Could they have made a hardware change after K-3 and before K-S1?
09-23-2016, 06:16 PM   #127
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Yes that is possible (K-S1 was released in the Summer of 2014, K-3 was released in the Fall of 2013).

But either way does it really matter? The end of the discussion is when RIAC puts their foot down and says it isn't going to happen -- We can petition all we want, we can protest, we can riot.. but we are wasting our time because RIAC has answered with a no.

Last edited by mee; 09-23-2016 at 06:53 PM. Reason: missed a key word! lol
09-23-2016, 06:32 PM   #128
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I was hoping for the K3 at minimum.
09-23-2016, 09:50 PM   #129
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
But either way does it really matter? The end of the discussion is when RIAC puts their foot down and says it isn't going to happen -- We can petition all we want, we can protest, we can riot.. but we are wasting our time because RIAC has answered with a no.
The only other petition I remember in the nearly two years I've been here was to have the K-mount "un-crippled" ... and we all know how that has worked out.

You have been here much longer that I have. What has been the history of petitions? How often has RIAC done what was asked for?
09-23-2016, 11:29 PM   #130
Pentaxian

Response or no response (were you expecting them to answer on this topic?) the timing is still suggesting that a hardware change (if necessary) would've likely be implemented after the K-3.
09-24-2016, 07:25 AM   #131
mee
Veteran Member

The only other petition I remember in the nearly two years I've been here was to have the K-mount "un-crippled" ... and we all know how that has worked out.

You have been here much longer that I have. What has been the history of petitions? How often has RIAC done what was asked for?

I think they respond more to their own company surveys and user feedback at tradeshows than anything.
09-24-2016, 07:55 AM   #132
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Yes that is possible (K-S1 was released in the Summer of 2014, K-3 was released in the Fall of 2013).
IIRC, the K-3 had a longer-than-usual development period, so it is possible that it had some older components that were updated in the next round of designs. It's also possible that a higher-up said "we'll go back two years, but not three". Supporting the 2013 releases would mean the K-3, K-50, K-500, and maybe even the K-01 because of the Smurf.

The curt "we can't answer that", rather than the usual polite "that's a good idea, but" is a little surprising, and pretty much slams the door on this one.
09-24-2016, 08:03 AM   #133
Site Supporter

Original Poster

I also did a tethering one that seems to have been addressed.
09-24-2016, 08:08 AM   #134
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
I also did a tethering one that seems to have been addressed.
But that was also requested in several of the interviews with RIAC for a couple of years as well as in the surveys before they finally reacted.
09-24-2016, 08:11 AM   #135
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
IIRC, the K-3 had a longer-than-usual development period, so it is possible that it had some older components that were updated in the next round of designs. It's also possible that a higher-up said "we'll go back two years, but not three". Supporting the 2013 releases would mean the K-3, K-50, K-500, and maybe even the K-01 because of the Smurf.

The curt "we can't answer that", rather than the usual polite "that's a good idea, but" is a little surprising, and pretty much slams the door on this one.
Yeap, if K3 was simply unable to do it hardware wise, they could have said just that and that would have closed the matter I guess. Some would still think this is software related, but still...

Here, not wanting to respond let the matter blury. It look like that if there enough demand they would enable it or that they think people would not trust them anyway would they say the truth. I guess even if there were willing to do it, there could be some problem/bug/limitation and that they have to work on it. And then would it be really worth to spend valuable engineers to make it work while they are needed to develop the next camera? What if for example it could work but eratically? Would people accept that?

Also, we all have to understand that Ricoh has to make money selling gear. K3 is a VERY capable camera with lot of features. It is still current and if you plan to stay APSC, there no much reason to switch.

So this is Ricoh job to create needs for upgrade: pixel shift, bundled astro tracer, better high iso or most recent lenses support. Even with all of that combined honestly I don't feel the need to upgrade at all. But imagine if the latest firmware pushed back all the features except the astro tracer into old K3. Why would one ever buy a K3-II ?