Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 55 Likes Search this Thread
06-10-2016, 02:38 PM   #46
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I'll also add my vote for this. It would be nice to have my K-5 and K-3 compatible with KAF4 lenses - or, if not, to know why it's not possible (especially with the K-3, given how very similar it is to the K-3II)

06-10-2016, 02:44 PM   #47
Veteran Member

+1 for the list
06-11-2016, 04:37 AM   #48
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
It would be nice...but just to correct a misconception - this would be forward compatibility, not backward.
06-11-2016, 04:47 AM   #49
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
I may as well get this started because there's plenty of interest. Who knows, it may work! I would like for Ricoh to keep the famed Pentax backwards compatibility alive and please allow KAF4 firmware for the K3, K5 series, and K50. I don't know if there are hardware limitations for the latter ones, but the K3 and K3II are basically the same camera with a few differences, and Ricoh themselves said the K3II was not a replacement for the K3.
If it is called a mount, firmware will not help. If it is software, update firmware.
The only KAF4 lens does no interest me. I doubt that KAF4 will show up a lot in the first case as no top line camera would be compatible.

Too much noise at the moment.

06-11-2016, 04:49 AM - 1 Like   #50
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by zapp Quote
If it is called a mount, firmware will not help. If it is software, update firmware.
You say that, but the K-3II was not sold as having a KAF4 mount, and it *is* receiving a firmware update to allow compatibility with KAF4 lenses...
06-11-2016, 07:48 AM   #51
Veteran Member

In for it.
06-11-2016, 09:13 AM   #52
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
+ mee too

06-11-2016, 09:34 AM   #53
mee
Veteran Member

This is a very informal petition.. just amounts to a bunch of internet handles/nicknames that could have been generated by one person. Might be more effective if implemented through a more official means..
06-11-2016, 09:58 AM   #54
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
This is a very informal petition.. just amounts to a bunch of internet handles/nicknames that could have been generated by one person. Might be more effective if implemented through a more official means..
Except that multiple accounts from the same addresses are pretty well policed, and stopped, by the moderating team...
06-11-2016, 10:36 AM   #55
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Per Adam, Ricoh folks do visit the forum, so this "very informal petition" may be just as effective as using one of those "create-a-petition" web sites. Perhaps even more so; everyone on this thread is a legitimate Pentax user, whereas using an outside service will be littered with the friends and relatives and acquaintances of Pentax users.
06-11-2016, 11:01 AM - 2 Likes   #56
Pentaxian

There could be a hardware limitation that stops them from adding the function to older bodies.

For instance, and I'm guessing, this function uses a serial protocol that is transmitted over some of the pins that (up til now) only were used as an on/off function. So these pins needs to be hooked up to a serial IO of the main CPU and not just a normal IO pin.

There could also be protection filters that stops them from bit-banging the signals (doing serial communication without using special serial hardware) at an high enough speed.

But then a couple of years ago they came up with the hardware specifications of the new function and the bodies designed from then on where equipped with this new hardware.

But of course it could also be a decision based purely on tactical ground, so who knows?
06-12-2016, 02:29 AM   #57
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I've signed the petition and unlike most of you, I still consider myself as a teenager when it comes to Pentax. What's the difference between these mounts?
06-12-2016, 02:52 AM   #58
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
I've signed the petition and unlike most of you, I still consider myself as a teenager when it comes to Pentax. What's the difference between these mounts?
Didn't your elders and teachers tell you never to sign a petition without understanding the full ramifications?

The KAF4 will support an electronic aperture lens type Pentax is bringing out, which sends electronic orders to the aperture rather than stopping it down manually. One lens only exists so far for this. The K70 will come with this technology out of the box. Some of the more recent Pentax bodies will handle it with a firmware update. K3 and K5 series, K30, K50 will not handle it at all, as far as we have so far been told. Because there is no aperture stop down arm at all on this lens, it will be wide open or nothing for earlier cameras.
06-13-2016, 12:28 PM   #59
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Yes, I'm on the petition too.
06-13-2016, 01:10 PM   #60

Put my name dowm