Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-09-2016, 04:32 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Question about K7

I have been a Pentax user since high school 35 years ago. My first camera was the KM. I now presently use the Pentax K7 and my son has my 1st DL (which he hardly uses) and enough lenses to cover between 10 mm and 500 mm with a gap between 300 mm and 500 mm.

I just would like to know, is the K7 the red headed step child of the Pentax world?

What made me deicide to ask this question was when I was reading this thread, https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/6-pentax-dslr-discussion/323221-petition-...eries-k50.html

In the thread, VoiceofReason says " please allow KAF4 firmware for the K3, K5 series, and K50."

Why was the K7 not included? For that matter, why does the forum not have a specific place for the K7? Even the K70 has an area and it's not in the public hands yet.

Please don't misunderstand me. I love the forum and all the people on here but I feel like the K7 doesn't get any love. Just remember, if there had not been a K7, I doubt we would have the K5, K3, or the K1.

06-09-2016, 04:39 PM - 1 Like   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bigdavephoto Quote
Why was the K7 not included? For that matter, why does the forum not have a specific place for the K7? Even the K70 has an area and it's not in the public hands yet.
Because the K-7 was released before we started making camera-specific forums.

I just would like to know, is the K7 the red headed step child of the Pentax world?
It is, in part because the sensor didn't receive much praise. The K-5 was such a big step up in terms of image quality (it was class-leading in the APS-C segment for years) that even Pentax fans quickly forgot about the K-7. The K-5 also improved on the K-7 in numerous other areas, including autofocus and video, so this pretty much sealed the deal.

That said, in my opinion the K-7 was an important release for Pentax as it debuted the new basic button layout and ergonomics that continue being used to this day.

I got the K-7 when it first came out and really enjoyed it while it lasted. That said, once the K-5 came out I upgraded and never looked back, in part because the K-5 felt just like the K-7, with all of its improvements being on the inside. The image quality spoke for itself.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

06-09-2016, 04:52 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Because the K-7 was released before we started making camera-specific forums.

It is, in part because the sensor didn't receive much praise. The K-5 was such a big step up in terms of image quality (it was class-leading in the APS-C segment for years) that even Pentax fans quickly forgot about the K-7. The K-5 also improved on the K-7 in numerous other areas, including autofocus and video, so this pretty much sealed the deal.

That said, in my opinion the K-7 was an important release for Pentax as it debuted the new basic button layout and ergonomics that continue being used to this day.

I got the K-7 when it first came out and really enjoyed it while it lasted. That said, once the K-5 came out I upgraded and never looked back, in part because the K-5 felt just like the K-7, with all of its improvements being on the inside. The image quality spoke for itself.

I did not know that the K7 was released before the forum had camera specific forums. Thanks Adam.

I don't know why the sensor didn't get much praise. I think the sensor is fine. The K7 may be a little slow on auto focus
and I don't use video. I would like to up grade but the only way that will happen is if someone would donate a K5 or K3 to me.

Here is something I did with my K7
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 
06-09-2016, 05:14 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I don't know why the sensor didn't get much praise. I think the sensor is fine. The K7 may be a little slow on auto focus
The K-5's sensor delivers more color depth and dynamic range, but I think the main difference is high-ISO performance. Compare the two cameras as ISO 3200 here:

Pentax K-5 Review - Image Tests | PentaxForums.com Reviews

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

06-09-2016, 07:08 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Yes, the K-7 often get's forgotten and most people compare other model's ergonomics to the K-5 perhaps forgetting that those ergonomics were introduced with the K-7.
Although the K-50 produced much better photos [for me], the K-7 was my favorite Pentax DSLR (forget video though)
06-09-2016, 07:55 PM   #6
Site Supporter

I still have my K7 with a fairly low shutter count and I like the way it renders landscapes' tones.
I might dispose of it one day but I use it once I a while so I'm not sure if I ever will .
Great ergonomics, as Adam said, the same of its followers.
06-11-2016, 12:42 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The K7 was closely related to the K20
They shared the same sensor
06-13-2016, 03:36 PM   #8
Site Supporter

As far as the Pentax digital SLRs I have owned in the past decade, I shot with the K-7 BY FAR the most over all. I think I bonded with that camera more than any other digital... DSLRs were really still coming into their own at that time (what was that? early 2009 I believe) and I bought the k-7 just a week after release. It was everything I wanted it to be and more.... everything that other digital cameras had just not delivered and its ergonomics (as mentioned above) were spot on for me. With a Pentax-M 50mm f/1.4 mounted on it solely, it went around the world with me for a year and a half (along with a Ricoh GRDIII). It got beat to all hell - one of the strap lugs even came out and I just plugged it with aquarium silicone and had a Blackrapid strap sent to me from the states. It just kept chugging along without ever a hiccup.

Yes, the K-5 and later handled higher ISOs better but that never stopped me. Many of my favorite shots were with the K-7.
It was the beginning of the current APS-C flagship body style and in my opinion is one of the best bargains out there right now and an amazing value for someone's first DSLR. There was a bite to the K-7 images that I very much miss at times. It's a great camera. I definitely made more use of noise-ninja and later luminescence and color noise correction in Lightroom, but then so what.

Selling it 2 years ago was actually sort of emotional. Same with the GRD3 which was equally abused/loved.

edit: incidentally, the banner below in my sig was shot with that combo in the middle of nowhere while driving 90kph in a beat up Subaru somewhere between Christchuch and Queenstown in Otago, NZ.

Last edited by chickentender; 06-13-2016 at 04:07 PM.
08-04-2016, 12:33 PM   #9

I keep my K-7 around probably more as a novelty item. If I ever do use it is outside and outside only.

After having the K-5 and K-3 I will never use the K-7 indoors for anything. The ISO performance is "terrible" past 1600 and AF is also slow, as confirmed by others. With that said, the K-7 is still a fine camera even after all these years
08-04-2016, 06:25 PM   #10
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ron_Man Quote
I keep my K-7 around probably more as a novelty item. If I ever do use it is outside and outside only.

After having the K-5 and K-3 I will never use the K-7 indoors for anything. The ISO performance is "terrible" past 1600 and AF is also slow, as confirmed by others. With that said, the K-7 is still a fine camera even after all these years

I was able to upgrade to a K5-IIs recently but my K7 is still in my bag.

As for the high ISO performance, I think the K7 is ok above 1600. The photo I posted above of the drummer was shot at ISO 5000 with my K7.
08-04-2016, 06:56 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

I think the K-7 is a great outdoors camera. (I've not used it indoors) My wife has one and I was pleasantly surprised how nicely the files turned out. As everyone else has noted, the build and handling are outstanding, and I can't recall ever hearing about a single problem with this model. There are some super bargains on the used market too!
08-04-2016, 07:37 PM   #12
Site Supporter

I kept my K-7 when I upgraded to a K-5. On occasions, I'll carry both, one with the DA* 60-250, and the other with a 10-20.

The commonality in button layout makes it easy when quickly switching between cameras.

I'll agree that noise is an issue above 1600 ISO.
08-05-2016, 12:44 AM   #13
Pentaxian

I love my K-7, which I bought for an incredibly good price used. It shows its age in some areas but it still feels so slick and refined to use. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend one to someone on a budget looking for a real user camera.
08-05-2016, 02:27 AM   #14
Site Supporter

>> I think the sensor is fine <<

I agree. Still loving my old trusted K20D and using it from time to time. And as a low ISO and tripod fan I was always happy with the results.
Sometimes it develops some banding when exposure time is long under dark conditions which can be annoying.

Regrettably old models will not get any firmware updates. That's how it is ... but they are still useable and deliver suprisingly good results if one knows how to take them ...
08-14-2016, 04:14 PM   #15
Forum Member

Started on Pentax with the K-7, it should get more credit for what it brought to the brand. I've posted it before, some of my favorite shots of all time came from that camera, under appreciated and should get more forum love.