Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
06-10-2016, 06:44 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
What is the best Pentax to date for video?

What is the best Pentax to date for video, and where does the K-01 rank?
I am talking about IQ ONLY, as I would never use image stabilization or auto focus no mater how good they work.

Last edited by MrStupid; 06-10-2016 at 08:09 AM.
06-10-2016, 07:31 AM   #2
Veteran Member

The K-01 uses digital SR for video. I find I often prefer to switch it off rather than see the "jello" effect.
06-10-2016, 09:18 AM   #3

Photos: Albums
K-01 video quality is good with SR turned off, and it is especially great for making time lapses. DSLR cameras in general are not known for their video capabilities, except maybe a few in the Canon Ti line. The recently announced K-70 seems to have the most advanced video features on a Pentax DSLR to date.. But I think the best bet currently for image quality and sharpness would be one of the flagship models, K-5IIs or K-3II.
06-10-2016, 09:39 AM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Quality-wise I'd argue the K-1 is the best, and feature-wise the K-70. But the overall quality could still use some improvement, since videos are heavily compressed.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-10-2016, 09:46 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Quality-wise I'd argue the K-1 is the best, and feature-wise the K-70. But the overall quality could still use some improvement, since videos are heavily compressed.
I agree with Adam.

K1 is the best, then K3 and then K5 - in that order.
The K7 *maybe* but it maxed out at 720p.
Everything else, had some good qualities, but left out other things.
Some had headphones jacks, WR, or some had HDMI, but no out during video...etc. etc.

The K5 started/enabled a professional workflow.

Now we need 1080p/60 or 2k or even 4k with good bit rates.
I think the K70 is the testbed for video that is probably going to come when we see the updated K3 III.
I will see where the K70 goes, but the new lens combination with it, might be the best video from Pentax yet.
We'll see.
06-10-2016, 02:58 PM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

I used to keep hoping that Pentax would step up their video game, but now that I've gone dual m43 I no longer worry about it. I use my Pentax for photography and my Panasonic for video (and for when I just want a smaller camera). The new Panasonic GX80/85 in particular is a bargain for a good video camera.

That being said, I have gotten some decent video from my K-30, but with the limitations already noted above. It really just depends on what/where you're shooting, and what your expectations are.
06-10-2016, 04:01 PM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote
That being said, I have gotten some decent video from my K-30, but with the limitations already noted above. It really just depends on what/where you're shooting, and what your expectations are.
Well stated. Sometimes it's good enough, at other times it isn't!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-11-2016, 12:59 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Where did the super-long and super-detailed reply from LaurenOE go? Am I loosing my marbles? Did she say too much and blow her cover? Is the NSA involved?? Perhaps FEMA?

And what happens when you "Like" a post, and then it disappears? Is it true that it can disrupt the space-time continuum??
06-11-2016, 04:24 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Where did the super-long and super-detailed reply from LaurenOE go? Am I loosing my marbles? Did she say too much and blow her cover? Is the NSA involved?? Perhaps FEMA?

And what happens when you "Like" a post, and then it disappears? Is it true that it can disrupt the space-time continuum??
I killed it.
I felt that I was going into "rant" territory or bragging about what I do.
Sometimes I go overboard with too much detail.
I *reeled* myself in.

06-11-2016, 05:35 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
I killed it.
I felt that I was going into "rant" territory or bragging about what I do.
Sometimes I go overboard with too much detail.
I *reeled* myself in.

That's too bad. I didn't think it was aggressive, even if it did bear some passing resemblance to a rant, and there was some interesting info in there.
06-11-2016, 05:38 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That's too bad. I didn't think it was aggressive, even if it did bear some passing resemblance to a rant, and there was some interesting info in there.
Thanks.