Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-10-2016, 07:30 AM   #1

Hoping for firmware, instead, getting another new camera

Meaning, I've been hoping that the K3 II would get a firmware update but instead we're getting another camera that seems to have "borrowed" a few things from the K3 II, adding to it, making my recent purchase yesterday's news.

On the positive side, maybe we will get a firmware update to match the K 70... that would be nice.

However, I fear the only way I'll get anything is if I buy yet another camera... which I'm not doing.

Don't mean to rant so I'll stop there.

06-10-2016, 07:37 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MyTZuS Quote
I fear the only way I'll get anything is if I buy yet another camera
What is it you are looking for?
06-10-2016, 08:03 AM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
what is it you are looking for?
QuoteOriginally posted by mytzus Quote
i've been hoping that the k3 ii would get a firmware update
hth !
06-10-2016, 08:12 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I don't get it....what is wrong with the firmware? I haven't found any bugs yet?

If you want new features that weren't on the camera when you bought it...well, that would always be nice, but in the end you bought what you bought so it's a bit churlish to moan about not getting something else. The K-70 hasn't changed the K-3II, it's still the same great camera it was when you chose it, so go take photos and enjoy it.

06-10-2016, 08:16 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Cameras are like computers. You should always assume that it will be obsolete the day after you buy it. That doesn't mean buying a new one every day - buy a new one only when it provides something you need that the current one doesn't do.
06-10-2016, 08:40 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

@MyTZuS ...

Please don't get hung up on having (or not having) the latest and greatest camera. You'll continue to be disappointed as there will always be a more technologically advanced model just around the corner. Take a serious look at what the K-70 does that your K-3II can't, and then ask yourself if it will seriously impact your ability to take good photographs? For the vast majority of people, the answer would have to be "no". Also, remember that the K-3II is still Pentax's APS-C flagship camera, and will remain so for the time being; the K-70 is at a different level in the Ricoh / Pentax product line. Of course, it won't be a great deal of time before the K-3II is superseded by a newer, more advanced model - but even then, I very much doubt that model's features will make much difference to your photography. The K-3II is a superb and very-full-featured camera... you should enjoy *years* of use out of it

Last edited by BigMackCam; 06-10-2016 at 09:06 AM.
06-10-2016, 09:37 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Sorry, didn't I read that the K3 II will support the new KAF4 version of the K mount so it will work with the new range of lenses. Isn't that enough?
06-10-2016, 09:39 AM   #8
Site Supporter

My question too. The K-3II would still be my choice between the two.

Steve

06-10-2016, 09:41 AM   #9
Administrator
Site Webmaster

You will get a new firmware update - no new features, but support for the new lens that was just launched.

That said, the K-3 II is still a higher model than the K-70, though the latter does have the latest software fancies.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

06-10-2016, 10:05 AM   #10
Emperor and Senpai

Probably looking for the AF in movie mode and expanded ISO too. Not sure if that can be done with firmware or not.
06-10-2016, 10:11 AM   #11

I personally would have preferred a K-1 technology trickle-down to update and introduce a new APS-C flagship. Maybe next year...The K-70 might indeed be nice, but to me it's just fancy K-S2/K-50 refresh, with the added convenience of KAF4 which renders all our current APS-C bodies useless for future KAF4 lenses (unless a FW update does the trick...but for the K-5IIs?...) Can't say that this is a joyful moment.
06-10-2016, 10:18 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MyTZuS Quote
Meaning, I've been hoping that the K3 II would get a firmware update but instead we're getting another camera that seems to have "borrowed" a few things from the K3 II, adding to it, making my recent purchase yesterday's news.

On the positive side, maybe we will get a firmware update to match the K 70... that would be nice.

However, I fear the only way I'll get anything is if I buy yet another camera... which I'm not doing.

Don't mean to rant so I'll stop there.
Welcome to the human world. We have always strived for better and cheaper tools.
Without this our most advanced imagery tools would still have been sticks and stones, to be used by a selected few.
06-10-2016, 10:19 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Davidparis Quote
The K-70 might indeed be nice, but to me it's just fancy K-S2/K-50 refresh, with the added convenience of KAF4 which renders all our current APS-C bodies useless for future KAF4 lenses. Can't say that this is a joyful moment.
I still own a K-5 that remains in very active service as well as a K-3 that is my main camera (my K-3II only gets occasional use right now). I won't be able to use KAF4 lenses with the K-5 or K-3... and, honestly, it doesn't bother me in the slightest. Seriously, how many lenses do we need? I'm *delighted* that Ricoh is continuing to develop the KAF-mount, even if I can't use a handful of new lenses on my cameras. It's *great* to see the Pentax product line evolving to keep pace with demands. Joyful moment? You betcha!
06-10-2016, 10:20 AM   #14
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Davidparis Quote
The K-70 might indeed be nice, but to me it's just fancy K-S2/K-50 refresh
Yes, that is correct. it is a mid-upper entry level camera, not a flagship. I suspect a new flagship (K-3II replacement) will come, perhaps next spring.
06-10-2016, 10:21 AM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
our most advanced imagery tools would still have been sticks and stones
I've got some great shots with sticks and stones!