Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
06-10-2016, 10:09 AM   #1

DNG or PEF?

Still waiting for my lenses to come in and did some quick setup, one thing I saw was that it offers DNG or PEF. Any notable difference between the two? What is the preferred format to shoot in?

06-10-2016, 10:17 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Unless you have a specific reason to shoot PEF, then DNG is the preferred format. Although that sentiment is not universal.

If you use Adobe software DNG is what you should use.
06-10-2016, 10:42 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This is a topic that never dies...
Do a search for PEF and enjoy the reading. After many threads I still have no idea what would possess me to care which I used. I use DNG by default but I see no significant reason to select either one over the other honestly.

---------- Post added 06-10-16 at 01:43 PM ----------

For example...
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/190-pentax-k-1/323304-im-sure-its-been-asked-but.html
06-10-2016, 12:20 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I always use DNG. Lost my first few shots on the K1 because it was default PEF and Photoshop CS5.5 doesn't support it.

06-10-2016, 12:31 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks all. Admittedly I should've done some previous research on the topic and I apologize if it's been redundant. I'll be going DNG.
06-10-2016, 12:48 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jypfoto Quote
Thanks all. Admittedly I should've done some previous research on the topic and I apologize if it's been redundant. I'll be going DNG.
I just re-read my post - I did seem a bit short - whoops. I was expressing my frustration that this has never seemed like a settled topic. I do shoot DNG but I'm not really certain why. I can't really point to a thread that ever gave me a strong feeling that this issue was settled.
06-10-2016, 02:02 PM - 1 Like   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I have done the research and the "waters" are muddy. Here are the pertinent points:
  • The two file types are fully equivalent from a data perspective allowing for fully equivalent processing potential
  • Tool support varies for both types. The best generality that can be made is that DNG provides a higher level of compatibility across the Adobe suite of products.
  • Both file types offer equivalent functionality with Pentax PDCU software for photos taken with Pentax cameras
  • Neither file type is "future proof" in any comprehensive sense
  • DNG has potential as a future open standard. At present, it is a published captive specification.
  • PEF is proprietary but TIFF-EP based and readily discoverable by compliant parsers
  • A DNG file may not be universally usable across tools, even those that support DNG. For example, the Pentax Digital Camera Utility (PDCU) that ships with Pentax cameras cannot read DNG files created by Adobe products.
  • New camera support in Adobe products is better with DNG (compatible using embedded profiles in advance of dedicated camera support from Adobe)
  • For advanced users of Adobe Lightroom, DNGs are treated differently than PEF when writing catalog meta-data to file. The difference may be important if DNG is used as archive media.
  • Both DNG and PEF enjoy very decent support with current open source tools, specifically the ubiquitous dcraw converter
For a fairly complete discussion of RAW and DNG and use by serious and professional photographers, the American Societ of Magazine Photographers (ASMP) has provided a Web page with practical advice and best practices:
Raw File Formats | dpBestFlow

DNG | dpBestflow
Enjoy!

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 06-10-2016 at 02:41 PM.
06-10-2016, 03:10 PM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

I would add that if you use Lightroom/ACR, you might want to shoot PEF if you have software that supports your latest camera. The reasoning is that Lightroom can write all your metadata/edit info into XMP sidecar files to accompany your RAW files. When you backup your RAW files, you backup the XMP files along with them.

If you shoot DNG on the other hand, Lightroom writes the metadata/edit info directly into the DNG file. So if you want to update your backup for any reason, (after you finished editing) you'll be over-writing all your originals. I've heard several computer geeks say that you should never overwrite your original files, so for me, the XMP sidecar files make a lot more sense.
06-10-2016, 03:50 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by 12345 Quote
I would add that if you use Lightroom/ACR, you might want to shoot PEF if you have software that supports your latest camera. The reasoning is that Lightroom can write all your metadata/edit info into XMP sidecar files to accompany your RAW files. When you backup your RAW files, you backup the XMP files along with them.

If you shoot DNG on the other hand, Lightroom writes the metadata/edit info directly into the DNG file. So if you want to update your backup for any reason, (after you finished editing) you'll be over-writing all your originals. I've heard several computer geeks say that you should never overwrite your original files, so for me, the XMP sidecar files make a lot more sense.
That is the sticky side of DNG. The container aspect provides for actionable processing metadata understood (potentially) by multiple Adobe products. OTOH, writing metadata to file (original or sidecar) is an optional action and is not done by default. Normal process is for the XMP to be stored in the catalog. The advice of many experts is:
  • Do not use or enable the write/update metadata to file feature unless you have a specific use case and rational
  • Back up the catalog and your source DNG regularly (I do a catalog backup and a separate file system backup that includes both catalog and source.)
  • Seriously consider establishing an archive of fully-processed, broad gamut, 16-bit TIFFs as a tool-independent record of your full full process flow. The files are large, but unambiguous.

Steve
06-10-2016, 04:09 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I assume this question is a decade out of date, but both DNG and PEF are compressed by Pentax cameras now, right?
06-10-2016, 04:47 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by sewebster Quote
I assume this question is a decade out of date, but both DNG and PEF are compressed by Pentax cameras now, right?
Not quite a decade, I think... but yes, both are compressed and fairly close in final file size.
06-11-2016, 09:39 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
I always use DNG. Lost my first few shots on the K1 because it was default PEF and Photoshop CS5.5 doesn't support it.
I think PDCU converts PEF to DNG

I converted a couple PEF to DNG (I used either DCU or Adobe's utility) and Capture One would not read them. C1 reads DNG from the camera.. So, conversion may not work but may as well try.

---------- Post added 06-11-16 at 10:40 AM ----------

PEF is more fun to pronounce than DNG...
06-12-2016, 06:48 AM   #13

If you use Adobe software i think that DNG is what is better to use.
It's my meening.