Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-16-2008, 08:10 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
What do you use for default settings?

Just curious - I just swapped my *istDL for a K20D (no, not literally swapped!) - wondering if there is a general community consensus on what settings to use - like which color style - Bright, Natural, etc... settings for sharpness, contrast...

I will continue to play around, and for RAW shooting doesn't much matter, but I shoot a lot in jpeg with the family...

speaking of jpeg - whats with this **** setting? I got a couple 9MB jpegs... might as well shoot RAW for that.. those DNG files are certainly huge as well - and perceivable reason why DNG is better except for portability...

Thanks for any insight...

07-16-2008, 08:42 PM   #2
Pentaxian

While I shoot everything in RAW, I have set my defaults to -1 everything. I did this so that in case I do shoot jpegs for some reason, i will have nice soft files to work with. The **** setting is just a very light compression JPEG, so it should be very good quality.
07-17-2008, 01:48 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I shoot RAW+jpg. I still haven't settled on what settings I like for the jpgs though. For a while I was shooting in Bright with Contrast at -1, Saturation at +2, and Sharpness at +2. I've recently switched to Natural with all settings at 0. So far, the colors seem more accurate that way.
07-17-2008, 03:55 AM   #4
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I use natural, sharpness +2, contrast +2 when I want to avoid to have to do any postprocessing.

Otherwise I shoot RAW.

07-17-2008, 04:42 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I use
natural
Sharpness=0
Contrast=0
Saturation=0

I shoot mainly jpg and use Raw(dng)+jpg if on vacation, or some place i never plan on returning, as a just in case. I use dng as i use an older PS version, that does not like the K10D Pefs

Dave
07-19-2008, 01:41 AM   #6

Photos: Gallery
With 14 megapixels at your disposal, do you really need a 9 mb jpeg file? You could set the camera to a lower resolution and get smaller files that will be indistinguishable from your 14 mb resolution setting.

The only advantage of 14megapix over, say 10 megapix, is the ability to crop and enlarge an image. You get a digital magnification that significantly extends the range of any telephoto lens.

The DNG file is becoming a widely used standard for RAW images. You can process these files with the DNG converter offered free by Adobe and compress them by nearly 1/3. However, your use of these files will depend on the RAW software you prefer. Not all makes handle compressed DNGs.

If you want to move towards a professional quality of postprocessing, you have to use RAW but if you want snapshots for the family, stick with Jpeg.

For quick viewing, the FastStone viewer or Picasa are useful as they both display DNG files.

Have fun!
07-19-2008, 02:22 AM   #7
Inactive Account

I used to shoot everything in RAW, testing my K20 I find that Jpeg offers very good quality all settings at neutral -1 and sharpness on 0.
You will know when RAW is required in which case it's just a press of a button away.

The out of camera results are very good in my opinion, some might like to adjust the exposure a bit, but it all falls within my "like-range"

I had 50 images printed 13x17 cm and the results were stunning. I printed 5 20x30cm on my epson, again great results, and directly out of the camera.

I tend to use maximum quality for indeed you can crop the image if needed, size of the files is not all that important all memory media is nicely priced these days.