Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-14-2016, 02:13 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Wanting a new revision of Pentax k-x

Well ...

What i would want is Pentax to release a new K-x maybe even keep the sensor but replacing the Autofocus with Safox X (-3ev to 18ev) and cpu for better processing and other things like screen resolution.The dimensions and weight kept in place..
The new 24.2 mp sensors are nice but the files get too large...
A bruteforce like this may be the nikon d3300 but is not same size as kx...I want the Pentax flavor of out of box thinking really...

06-14-2016, 02:33 AM   #2
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you shoot JPG you can reduce the resolution (14MP is one of the options on the K-70 to take an example) and the camera will generate smaller files.
06-14-2016, 03:21 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
The idea is a KX ii and at Canon 100d price
06-14-2016, 04:47 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
A used k-30/k-50 is what you want. 16MP isn't too much. I upgraded from K-x to K-30, found it better in every possible way.

Many gently used examples floating around

06-14-2016, 05:07 AM   #5
Veteran Member

K-S1 is close to what you are talking about: Compare camera dimensions side by side
K-S1 is 1mm taller, which is negligible, and 2mm less wide. It is affordable, and contains a lot of new technology that the K-x does not have, and a better sensor (less noise at high ISOs)

Unfortunately, I don't think Pentax will ever go back to 12MP. File size is something that will only get bigger, due to higher MP and higher bitdepth. Yes, it is annoying, as we have to upgrade computers, hard drives just to deal with these large files, but if you shoot raw, you cannot avoid it. Shooting jpeg and reducing image size is the only way.
Or cloud storage, and deleting the photos on your actual drive, but that is something I would personally never want to do. Seems too risky, losing all control, especially since some cloud services apparently analyze data and sell research information to third parties.
06-14-2016, 05:09 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I used a K-x as backup to a K20D for a few years. It was a great camera for its time; small size, AA batteries, state of the art noise performance. It remained a backup camera for me because of its limitations; loud shutter, single control dial, dark & small pentamirror OVF and lack of weather seals. Subsequent Pentax bodies surpassed the K-x in IQ, noise performance and features.

An updated K-x with an APS-C sensor designed for low noise, as Sony did with the A7-S, would be an interesting idea. The problem is, where would Pentax get such a sensor? Sony doesn't make one. Having a sensor custom designed and manufactured in the small quantities that Pentax could sell in a K-x II body would negatively impact the cost.

Get a K-S2, it's a much better camera than the K-x.
06-14-2016, 06:04 AM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
the weight of K-s2 put me down a little but seems i was in illusion ...

Pentax K-x vs Pentax K-S2 Detailed Comparison

Somewhere i read that k-s2 was 860g but now i read that the difference between them is just 100grams and that's not much...But 860grams was actually with kit lens so hence the illusion ...

Another thing is i wasn't prepared to fork 600$ now but now that i put the weight illusion to rest i may actually consider k-s2 at some point.

There is another solution actually ... geting a K-5ii second hand because it has the latest safox X that goes to -3 Ev .. what you guys think ?

06-14-2016, 06:15 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by badsykes Quote
Another thing is i wasn't prepared to fork 600$ now but now that i put the weight illusion to rest i may actually consider k-s2 at some point.

There is another solution actually ... geting a K-5ii second hand because it has the latest safox X that goes to -3 Ev .. what you guys think ?
Any of the K-5s will be better in every way than the K-x. The AF in the K-5 II was only a small improvement over that in the K-5. If you really want to improve the AF you have to go to the K-3.
06-14-2016, 07:34 AM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
If i will fork so much money (like k3) i may go with K-70.Is latest APS-C tech from Pentax..
06-14-2016, 07:46 AM   #10
Emperor and Senpai
Loyal Site Supporter

The KS-1 is right up your alley. It is to me the camera that has the Kx heritage. Small, simple, not WR, scene modes, basically a very good entry level DSLR that gives great image quality and is cheap. Sure, it is 20mp, but that's the way things go. I bought 2 for Christmas presents for people and talked others into getting them for Christmas presents. Everyone who has one that I know is very happy with it.
06-14-2016, 07:48 AM   #11
Veteran Member

the weight of K-s2 put me down a little but seems i was in illusion ...
Again, look at the K-S1. It is lighter than the K-x and has fewer MP than the K-3. And it looks kinda cool
06-14-2016, 08:08 AM   #12
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

If i will fork so much money (like k3) i may go with K-70.Is latest APS-C tech from Pentax..
Do remember that "latest" doesn't mean "better". The K-3 is a flagship level camera, and extremely well built. The K-70 is an advanced entry level model with some new features (including KAF4 mount compatibility), but almost certainly not as robust. The K-3 has been around for a while now, so the bugs are basically ironed out or well known... the K-70 will be a brand new model - do you want to be a system tester (which is what we effectively are when we buy a brand new model)? The K-3 and K-70 are different beasts using the same sensor... which one is "better" depends on your personal requirements.
06-14-2016, 08:24 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Do remember that "latest" doesn't mean "better". The K-3 is a flagship level camera, and extremely well built. The K-70 is an advanced entry level model with some new features (including KAF4 mount compatibility), but almost certainly not as robust. The K-3 has been around for a while now, so the bugs are basically ironed out or well known... the K-70 will be a brand new model - do you want to be a system tester (which is what we effectively are when we buy a brand new model)? The K-3 and K-70 are different beasts using the same sensor... which one is "better" depends on your personal requirements.
If you go elsewhere in the Pentax Forums, you will find some very intense complaining from people who have had a K-30 / 50 / S2 fail them after "only" 7K or 10K, or whatever, shutter activations {failed motors seems to be a big deal}. I've decided not to make any further comments there, because emotions are so raw, but I'm not surprised. I had two Canon Rebels die after a total of fewer than 5K shutter activations {which is why I switched to Pentax} - and/but it took me almost eight years to get there. I'm thinking that I may be typical of the market these cameras are aimed at - I hardly ever use burst, I don't go out every day looking for things to photograph, and my total number of pictures taken in any given year is probably around 500. For someone like me, these cameras are fine, because even if I were to keep one for ten years {*}, the camera would probably still be working. Someone who takes pictures at a much more energetic rate will probably want to buy a camera with more robust motors, etc.

{*} the standard I kept during film years, but not so good now because I no longer have the opportunity to upgrade the sensor every 36 exposures
06-14-2016, 11:04 AM   #14
Pentaxian

I have a K-r and just bought a K-S1 and can tell you the K-S1 is definitely an improved K-r, which itself was an improved K-x.
06-14-2016, 11:08 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Any of the K-5s will be better in every way than the K-x. The AF in the K-5 II was only a small improvement over that in the K-5. If you really want to improve the AF you have to go to the K-3.
My K-5 had severe front-focus in tungsten light, which was not improved by upgraded firmware. The Expanded Area AF on the K-5 II is a big improvement over the K-5. The reason the K-5 II exists was the improved AF. The review on this site shows the improvements in AF for the K-5 II. I won't recommend a K-5 to anyone.

I agree about the K-3 though, it has significantly better AF than K-5 II

Last edited by audiobomber; 06-14-2016 at 02:47 PM.